Cherry Popped! Stopped By Policia

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Ok I'be read many stories here of people being stopped by police for no reason here in DR. For some reason I never really thought about it happening to me.

My friend and I had just finished seeing a really scary movie called SINISTER at Caribbean Cinemas Cinema Centro on the Malecon. Realizing I needed money for taxi, we went to a nearby ATM. As we walked toward the taxi, two officers on a motorcycle stopped us. We both stayed really calm. They wanted to search everything in my pockets. It seemed they were looking for drugs. Luckily I was able to speak with them in Spanish and explain that I work as a teacher here and I'm not a tourist here looking for debauchery. I was sure that eventually is have to give them the money I just withdrew from Banco Popular. They seemed perplexed that I had a Banco Popular ATM card and kept checking my name with my NY state ID. My friend showed them his ticket stub that we were just at the movies. Finally they let us go and I didn't need to give them money.

The experience was quite unnerving. My nerves were already shot from the scary movie we saw (usually horror movies don't scare me. This one did!) so I felt really tense. At the same time I am relieved that nothing bad happened besides feeling violated. During the experience I kept thinking what if they keep my wallet. What if they put me in jail overnight for no reason. I've heard stories of that happening. Anyway I feel my cherry was popped as it seems this was inevitable experience to have in DR. Thank God I am not interested in buying drugs!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was stopped by the police back home once, for being drunk and disorderly :) taken to the station and then back home (i was under age). kinda fun, since i was sloshed out of my mind, but generally i believe all encounters with the police are unnerving.
glad you came out of your adventure in one piece :)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I got mine popped last Saturday. We were stopped by policeon the way back home from work. The police straight out asked for lunch money so we gave them $200 pasos as drinking money. They let us go without any other questions.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Traditionally when I am stopped by the police (it seems to happen more than it should for no reason) I play the stupid gringo card. Kick in a southern slang accent just keep telling them "What? I don't speak your language. Sorry." After doing this for 10 years I've only once had a policemen answer me back in English and I've never had to stay stopped for more than a few minutes.

Of course if I were to break the law the above wouldn't work too well!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Don't ever give these scum cops a peso!
At best, give them a Chicklet.

If they continue to hassle you, ask for their name and number, they will run like cockroaches.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
If you are doing nothing wrong, you never have to give these mouth breathers a dime.

If you are doing someting wrong, $$$$ fixes everything.. ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It was MUCH WORSE 15,or more years ago.
And I was not as "Dominican Street Smart" as I later became.
I once had two "Policia National" stop me for no reason.
I was driving at the time.
One actally got in my van!
They said I was going to jail.
I had to pay a fine there,etc.
I took out my US Military ID card.
He said "OK", I could go, but they were hungry, and could I give them money for "Comida"?
I gave them 100 pesos.
THAT was THEN, This is NOW!
I don't even stop anymore!
I now live nextdoor to a General in the "Policia National".
He said that they would never take a "Grigo" to the "stacion".
Their commander would put THEM in jail for bringing "Problemas" to him!
He also showed me the "Secret Hand Signal" to give if they try to stop you!
It workes so well, they actually Salute you when you give it!
I wouldn't use it if you are not retired military,or police, however!
If they actually stoped you, they might be Pi$$ed!
Robert is right!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Last year there was a home invasion one night near where I live. The local police showed up and a gun battle ensued. The invaders shot the Major twice in the leg and wounded another PN guy. The local PN retreated but called in the PN bad boys from Nagua. In the early am they shot and killed both ladrones, thus making them the heroes of the community. My point is, sometimes they do good and I think about that when I encounter a negative situation with them. K

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Policia stopped my brother and I along with some locals who were traveling with us, once about 7 years ago in SD. After showing them our US passports, they did not bother us. But one of the locals who was traveling with us did not have his cedula. After, the police threatened to take him to the hoosegow, he gave them 500 pesos and we were on our way. I am too frigging cheap to give those bastards anything even after they threatened to call "el colonel". I will take my chances with them taking me to jail if they want to.

vida

Mar 18, 2010
It is really rare to be stopped when walking. I think they were watching the ATM. In my experience you are most vulnerable in a car, day or night.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
He said "OK", I could go, but they were hungry, and could I give them money for "Comida"?
I gave them 100 pesos.
Robert is right!

So, tell us about the secret Hand Signal...

It is safe for me to use. I was the General who led the invasion in Normandie. How the hell would they know?

BelgianK

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I gave them 100 pesos.
Robert is right!

Exactly what I do. When I see a policeman or woman (have a few in my neighborhood) I flash a quick salute, and they always smile or salute back. Never had a problem. One Officer rubbed his stomach and said he was hungry and I gave him a couple hundred pesos. I don't consider that a problem as I see him around now and then. IM sure he would help me out to the extent he could should I ever ask.
I don't have the uniforms down however. The blue, the green and the camouflage fatigues , the gray.Even saw a couple of what looked like soldieries by the old airport dressed in full battle rattle. I salute them all.Not a smart a$$ sarcastic one , just a quick military wave does it

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Belgian", just stick up you "Middle Finger" and shake it in their face!
You will be SURPRISED at what can happen!
"He He He"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
"Belgian", just stick up you "Middle Finger" and shake it in their face!
You will be SURPRISED at what can happen!
"He He He"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hmmm, I doubt that is the right signal, as that is the one most Gringos use before they get screwed by the PN.

BelgianK