Architectural home design and cost

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've started this thread in order to discuss architecture design and cost here in the DR. Here is a plan that what customized per the customer's wish. It is 250 sm.

arq 1.jpg

Sep 4, 2012
I've a piece of land with around 350mts, planning on construction within the next two to three years. My plans is to have:

1. Garage
2. Porch
3. Kitchen
4. Formal Living Room
5. Dinning Room
6. Family Room
7. Guest Bathroom
8. Laundry Room

All of them downstairs. For the upstairs floor:

1. Master Bedroom with BIG walk-in closet, his and her sink and vanity (don't care for Jacuzzi)
2. Two other individual bedrooms with their own bathrooms accessible from within the own bedroom (no need to walk out to get to their individual bathroom)
3. Balcony belong to the Master Bedroom.

I'd want inclines/declines roof and the main entrance to the foyer with columns (bricks and stones for the outside walls); need to also have room for front garden and space left out for a backyard.

House must be electrically equip to support 220/110, water heater and possible a pool? not sure yet.

The lot seats in a corner, so I'd want the plans to accommodate for the garage to be accessed from both streets and of course the bedrooms to be located away from the Western portion of the lot.

Chip,

Go to work and let me know when you get something close to the above and we maybe cooking something with Crisco!

Apr 13, 2011
Did the RD18,000/m2 include finish work (floor tiles, sinks, tubs, faucets,lights, etc...)? Decent windows, wall around property with metal entrance and car gate and security bars on windows? - or just the rough (Block, smooth coat, cement roof but no roof tiles, etc..)?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We talked to an architect in POP, who is very well reputed.

In order for her to make all the plans (design, structural, all utility lines like water, waste, electricity), all calculations, etc... it came to about 2,000$. Her office would also do the legwork to get all the permits, but the cost for the actual permits was not included.

Follow-up was not included, which I found very strange. The price was based on sqm, and this price was for a house of 160 sqm.

If, and when we build here, we are going to use a much respected maestro here, and his price is 27,000 rds/sqm for a house built to European quality standards, but with local materials (some imported stuff like locks, doorhandles and faucets). Mind you, as we want to build modern style some expensive support beams are included in that price.

So, 18,000 is a very good price, but as asked, how are the finishings?

BelgianK

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We talked to an architect in POP, who is very well reputed.

In order for her to make all the plans (design, structural, all utility lines like water, waste, electricity), all calculations, etc... it came to about 2,000$. Her office would also do the legwork to get all the permits, but the cost for the actual permits was not included.

Follow-up was not included, which I found very strange. The price was based on sqm, and this price was for a house of 160 sqm.

If, and when we build here, we are going to use a much respected maestro here, and his price is 27,000 rds/sqm for a house built to European quality standards, but with local materials (some imported stuff like locks, doorhandles and faucets). Mind you, as we want to build modern style some expensive support beams are included in that price.

So, 18,000 is a very good price, but as asked, how are the finishings?

BelgianK

The price for the plans is good assuming this includes the tramitacion and the signing off when needed during construction.

As far as the finishing go the roof was partially tiled with Spanish tiles, good ceramic floors, aluminum sliding windows, granite countertop, mahogany wood for three bedrooms, doors and kitchen, protective iron and a perimeter wall.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Did the RD18,000/m2 include finish work (floor tiles, sinks, tubs, faucets,lights, etc...)? Decent windows, wall around property with metal entrance and car gate and security bars on windows? - or just the rough (Block, smooth coat, cement roof but no roof tiles, etc..)?

See above post.

Apr 13, 2011
Forgive me if some questions seem basic -
What is not included in the 18,000/m2? What fees or charges should one expect in addition to that when building a house in the DR?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Forgive me if some questions seem basic -
What is not included in the 18,000/m2? What fees or charges should one expect in addition to that when building a house in the DR?

You should budget a minimum for RD20,000 per m2 not including the lot. The architects fees and the ayuntamiento taxes are separate. If you are in the capital it's probably RD25k minimum given the higher cost of living.

Apr 13, 2011
What percentage do you recommend budgeting for architects fees and ayuntamiento taxes? (I am assuming those fees and taxes are a percentage of the overall costs - so correct me if that is wrong). And thanks.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What percentage do you recommend budgeting for architects fees and ayuntamiento taxes? (I am assuming those fees and taxes are a percentage of the overall costs - so correct me if that is wrong). And thanks.

I've seen fees anywhere from RD250 - 2500 per m2. I would say anything in the 300-400 range is acceptable. The taxes are charged by the ayuntamiento and are based on the cost of construction. There is also seguro social and possible the pension fund to consider.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So 3,000sf is approximately 300sm? So 20,000RD per sm then a 3,000sf home will cost approximately 6,000,000RD?

SHALENA

Apr 13, 2011
I've seen fees anywhere from RD250 - 2500 per m2. I would say anything in the 300-400 range is acceptable. The taxes are charged by the ayuntamiento and are based on the cost of construction. There is also seguro social and possible the pension fund to consider.
Any idea how the taxes are calculated? And what is the seguro social and pension fund? How much, or how is that calculated?
Any other fees to watch out for when trying to figure out a budget?

Apr 13, 2011
I ask - because I have noticed that on different (small) projects in the DR, I would be told one cost and then later told "oh yeah, you have to pay this fee and then this fee..."
I like having a better understanding beforehand, rather than just say "Plus 5% or 10%" for "miscellaneous"...
So I appreciate the input. Thanks.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
1 m2 = 10.76 sqft

The RD20,000 cost is probably the best price one can get, even with a maestro - although a young professional engineer may give you a good price too. Make sure the plans are prepared by an Architect and permitted and get references and see the work yourself.

References - the reason why I can't talk enough about references is that there are obviously contractors/maestros/engineers who do shoddy work for a variety of reasons - could be to maximize their profit or lack of knowledge. The last think one wants to happen is to have the house cracking or sagging because of poor foundation compaction, lack of rebar or improperly tying the rebars together at the structural elements. Needless to say if there is ever a 6.0 earthquake I doubt such building would be left standing. When I was in Haiti after the 7.0 quake it was pretty evident that some building were tied together properly with rebar and built on good foundations because they were still standing while others even next door were just rubble.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I ask - because I have noticed that on different (small) projects in the DR, I would be told one cost and then later told "oh yeah, you have to pay this fee and then this fee..."
I like having a better understanding beforehand, rather than just say "Plus 5% or 10%" for "miscellaneous"...
So I appreciate the input. Thanks.

I had a class on the ss and pension and even the attorney giving the class said it's a big mess. I believe one has to pay the ss but the pension is determined if the workers on the project are registered.

However, only has to worry about this on "administracion" type of projects where the owner is taking responsibility as the contractor. The engineer is involved but generally charges 12-15% of the total cost of construction. For "costo total" types of projects the engineer/contractor handles this but this fee is usually 25% of the cost of construction.

Keep in mind that as the owner for administracion types of projects the owner is responsible to have the workers registered. If by chance they do get hurt and sue, whether the are legal or not, they have rights to compensation. Big awards have been won and people have lost lots of money. I chuckle sometimes when I hear that "Dominican law doesn't work" but when it comes to labor and contracts if you lose they will come take your property, no and's if or but's about it.