Really bad experience on my way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I went out last night, I met up with a friend and had a few drinks, got invited back to their house and I decided to leave at around midnight. We had no minutes and they didn't have the phone installed so I had to walk to the nearest main road to find a taxi.

On doing so I randomly bumped into a guy I have met before and had a chat with, we ended up sat outside a colmado chatting away, this is where is goes a bit fuzzy for me. I am positive someone put something in my drink because I wasn't that drunk but I only have vague memory of what went on after this.

I eventually did make the main road and while sat waiting another car stopped 2 guys jumped out, didn't say anything and just started beating the crap out of me, one had me in a head lock while the other was continuously kicking me in the face. This is where it gets even more weird.

Another car stopped and a few guys jumped out and started to help me, once the original 2 guys fled these others insisted on me getting in their car and taking me home, I didn't want as I don't like people knowing where I live for obvious reasons, but one was exceptionally persistent and in the end started dragging me into the car.

I kicked out and ended up in another violent situation. I couldn't believe the guys who were saving me from a kicking ended up giving me more of a kicking. No taxi would stop for me, I presume because I was covered in blood. So I ended up having to walk in the night for over an hour and I didn't really know where I was, I knew the direction I needed to head but not what was in between me and home.

In the end I made it but I know someone was following me in a car, driving really slow then passing me and then waiting for me to pass and then creeping along behind me again. I don't know if this was one of the previous people as like I said some things are vague.

Now I am concerned that something is held against me for some crazy reason and people know where I live, alone. I am really terrified right now, I figure there is no reason for any of this which makes it so much more worrying, these guys are nuts.

I have only been living here over 3 months, and am feeling like if this is the way it is then it is not for me, but my emotions are running high right now and so hopefully I will get it together and things will become more relaxed over the next few days.

I don't think there is a solution as things have happened, or even if there ever could be to this kind of random thrashing, but I'm hoping for some words to relax me a little as right now I just want to leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 26, 2011
You're living in SD Este alone, you just bought a sh*tload of electrodomesticos, you're receiving large parcels from the US, you're hanging out at colmados drinking with strangers when you should be concentrating on getting home in one piece. And you posted your real name on a internet DB. I think you might not be too "Smart" after all. Going home might be a good idea.

You're an accident waiting to happen...

or a troll.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Details...

All of this happened to you last night, but you don't mention where or give any pertinent details, like where you were walking to or where this colmado is located.

It sounds to me like you were under the influence of some drug, but you didn't go see a doctor.

Instead, you're on DR1 posting what sounds similar to the fake kidnapping story we had to endure not too long ago.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I went out last night, I met up with a friend and had a few drinks, got invited back to their house and I decided to leave at around midnight. We had no minutes and they didn't have the phone installed so I had to walk to the nearest main road to find a taxi.

On doing so I randomly bumped into a guy I have met before and had a chat with, we ended up sat outside a colmado chatting away, this is where is goes a bit fuzzy for me. I am positive someone put something in my drink because I wasn't that drunk but I only have vague memory of what went on after this.

I eventually did make the main road and while sat waiting another car stopped 2 guys jumped out, didn't say anything and just started beating the crap out of me, one had me in a head lock while the other was continuously kicking me in the face. This is where it gets even more weird.

Another car stopped and a few guys jumped out and started to help me, once the original 2 guys fled these others insisted on me getting in their car and taking me home, I didn't want as I don't like people knowing where I live for obvious reasons, but one was exceptionally persistent and in the end started dragging me into the car.

I kicked out and ended up in another violent situation. I couldn't believe the guys who were saving me from a kicking ended up giving me more of a kicking. No taxi would stop for me, I presume because I was covered in blood. So I ended up having to walk in the night for over an hour and I didn't really know where I was, I knew the direction I needed to head but not what was in between me and home.

In the end I made it but I know someone was following me in a car, driving really slow then passing me and then waiting for me to pass and then creeping along behind me again. I don't know if this was one of the previous people as like I said some things are vague.

Now I am concerned that something is held against me for some crazy reason and people know where I live, alone. I am really terrified right now, I figure there is no reason for any of this which makes it so much more worrying, these guys are nuts.

I have only been living here over 3 months, and am feeling like if this is the way it is then it is not for me, but my emotions are running high right now and so hopefully I will get it together and things will become more relaxed over the next few days.

I don't think there is a solution as things have happened, or even if there ever could be to this kind of random thrashing, but I'm hoping for some words to relax me a little as right now I just want to leave.

I've read the responses to this guy's post(I'm assuming you're male), and as expected, most of them are not helpful. I would like to respond to your post above with some questions, as I'm new to the DR and not a know it all like the many other members of this forum. First off, which part of the DR did this incident happen in?

Second, why were you out drinking after midnight? You said you met some guy you know and started chatting in front of a colmado? I don't know the whole story, but based on what you've said so far, it sounds like you made three mistakes...

1. You're out after midnight.
2. You're out drinking after midnight.
3. You're out chatting in front of a colmado after midnight.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, it is your life and you can and will do what you want. But what I will tell you is what I would have done if I were you. First off, while it is true that the DR does have a reputation as being one of the safest countries in Latin America, anything can happen at any time, and psychopaths exist in every country on Earth. It is commonly known that the "freaks come out at night" and I've read that violent crimes happen more frequently after dark(this is U.S. stats, I'm sure the same is true for others places).

My personal rule since arriving in the DR has been to stay off the streets after dark. I have gone out once after dark, but I stuck to the main streets and was watching my surroundings at all times. I also follow a "one beer" rule when in nightclubs. I do not get drunk. I have drunk enough beer in the DR to get a nice buzz, but I was at home, in bed, behind closed and locked doors. I do not get drunk in bars or out on the street because someone can spike your drink AND your reaction time and situation awareness plummets when you're intoxicated.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010

Mi hijo, you certainly know that herein lies your mistake. If by saying "their house" you are hiding the fact it was her house, she's the source of the drama.

If I'm wrong, what Dominican dude invites you to his house for a drink when you are out drinking?

I've been in some tough neighborhoods at the invitation of friends who live there, and they always make sure you get out safely. If they don't have their own transportation, they'll send you out with a taxi or motoconcho de confianza or walk with you to the main road. I know extra precautions may be needed as I'm a female, but don't believe true Dominican friends would act differently towards you as a gringo male, regardless of your age.

A friend of mine while being a careless tourist in another country had a similar story. He was drugged by a new-found drinking buddy. He was helped back to his hotel, where he was robbed of most of his money, because most know that you aren't going to be carrying that much cash on you. Could have been a similiar set up--wanted to get you home where there will be more to steal.

Your future risk depends on how you examine your part in all this. Not blaming you, the victim, but this just might be your newbie lesson--I'm sure that all long-timers have their's, albeit not as dramatic.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Mi hijo, you certainly know that herein lies your mistake. If by saying "their house" you are hiding the fact it was her house, she's the source of the drama.

If I'm wrong, what Dominican dude invites you to his house for a drink when you are out drinking?

I've been in some tough neighborhoods at the invitation of friends who live there, and they always make sure you get out safely. If they don't have their own transportation, they'll send you out with a taxi or motoconcho de confianza or walk with you to the main road. I know extra precautions may be needed as I'm a female, but don't believe true Dominican friends would act differently towards you as a gringo male, regardless of your age.

A friend of mine while being a careless tourist in another country had a similar story. He was drugged by a new-found drinking buddy. He was helped back to his hotel, where he was robbed of most of his money, because most know that you aren't going to be carrying that much cash on you. Could have been a similiar set up--wanted to get you home where there will be more to steal.

Your future risk depends on how you examine your part in all this. Not blaming you, the victim, but this just might be your newbie lesson--I'm sure that all long-timers have their's, albeit not as dramatic.

They say that a wise man learns from his mistakes, but a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others. That is why I decided to check out this thread, because I don't want this to happen to me. If a Dominican invited me over their house, even a hot chica, I would likely decline. Why? Well, I have sense enough to know that I could be walking into an ambush.

Plus, I learned from a wise man that you should "always make others come to you." I'd rather invite someone to my home than go to theirs(I know the layout and have the tactical advantage), but honestly, I wouldn't invite anyone into my home until I had known them for a long time, and even then things would be hidden/locked AND I would prepare the drinks. Under no circumstances will any Dominican in my home be allowed to prepare my drinks. I'm not saying this can't happen to me, but I'm a very suspicious and cautious man and it would be extremely difficult as it takes a looong time for me to trust people.

Also, if I invited a Dominican into my home, I would not invite more than one at a time. If you invite more than one person into your home, even if it is multiple females, they have numerical superiority over you, and you have to watch multiple people. You are at a tactical disadvantage. I prefer one on one encounters, as it creates balance.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
:You got set up for sure. who knows maybe while the one group was kicking your ass they took your keys back to the house and tried to clean you out. Maybe they sold you to the other group for a kidnapping and they lost their nerve could be alot of what ifs.
Something is wrong in Mayberry.

Count yourself lucky that you arent dead. If someone was going to kill you they probably would have done it last night. Has your chica called you? She probably set you up.
You may want to think back through the steps that led you to your current situation. Somewhere you took a wrong turn.
Use this as a learning experience
A. dont be out drinking if you are not in your safety zone.
B. always have minutes. Your phone is a lifeline.
c. Be choosy of invitations to drink with new friends.

bummer for you man.

Dec 26, 2011
Also, if I invited a Dominican into my home, I would not invite more than one at a time.

LOL

And don't feed them after midnight and whatever you do, for the love of all that is holy, don't get them wet.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

Though it would be easy to say lots of "comforting" things... It just is not their. I DO hope that your being beaten body heals soon with no complications. Your head will take a little longer.

With ALL the treads and advice offered here on DR1 I'm a little surprised that you did not take to heart or head that advice given. You will now get such a response that your hurting head will spin. Maybe more then your beating.

Bottom line. YOU learned the hard way. I'll bet that you will change your ways IF you stay here. Get "Smart".

You OK? Need to get away? Ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.