You give begging people your money?

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
But like I said, I rather go down for being rude than for being racist because a racist I'm not and I said it before making those remarks.

As for your black family kissing dogs, I know it's hard to understand when something is figure of speech when the subject is something you relate to (what could affect you).

"Oooh, so you mean to tell me Tyrone does have family members that kiss dogs! Well Tom got plenty more!" <- This is how these conversations go, no hate, no rage, just "making fun" of the stereotype!

JUST LIKE EVERYBODY IS DOING HERE WHEN IT COMES TO DOMINICANAS! (just to start with 2 topics of Frank12)

Are all you people haters or racists? Uhmmm... :dead:

But again, being called rude isn't something I care about. But for those who were really offended by it and thought I was being racist. Again, that wasn't what I was going for.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Things That Make you Go,..."Huuuuum"!
Many people beg for food, just because it's easier than working for food!
Dogs, on the other hand, got where they are through no fault of their own!
Somewhere along th line, a person threw their dog in the street.
NATURE Took it's course, and then there were 6, then 26, then 66!
Not to worry here, even average Dominicans, and the Government poisons dogs, AND, EACHOTHER as well!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
And yes I do as the other poster does and I'll buy 100 pesos of salami in a colmado and walk outside and feed it to the scrawny street dogs. Why shouldn't I, it's my money, my choice and I don't sympathize with people as easily as animals.

To me (and for those who witnessed her doing that) feeding dogs in front of hungry people in a so called third / poor country with meat you've bought at the restaurant you're eating is beyond disgusting!

It's to let you understand that in a country like this, your dog affection is not being "accepted" as in the Western world.

I made this topic to categories any type of begger. What I said could also "trigger" you, like why would one chose kids over handicaps or whatever. It's not the part of choosing dogs over people, it's the way how it's being displayed.

It's like you see a begger and you buy something sweet and you stand in front of him and you eat it like you never ate it before and you're licking your fingers while doing it and you're looking him dead in the eyes.

If I had a gun and I would see you do that I wouldn't do anything, I wouldn't held a gun to your head saying "F the dog and buy something for this begger!" It ain't like that!

It's more like I would tell you why I don't agree with your action and the why is what I already said.

It's just that little thing that triggered me.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
All that is fine, but you know in all my years here I've never seen anyone dying of hunger, Dominicans share food with strangers if they are hungry, that is one thing they do that no one can argue with, they are good like that. It seems ingrained in them like nothing else I can think of.

I can see why you would think I was a bastard for feeding dogs infront of starving people, but I don't (I'm not even sure it would stop me). There are no hungry people hanging around Colmados and restaurants, like I have said. Where are all these starving people, you seem to be living in a Pto Plata safari sales pitch. People are poor, but no one is dying of starvation.

Beggars for the most part are just lazy, like Ive said beggars with disabilities then fine, but a fit able bodied beggar is just out there because it is easy work and often pays better. I see 70 year old men walking the streets collecting empty beer bottles to get the refund, I'd happily buy him a beer or a burger just for not asking. I think people are commenting on beggars here when they don't understand just who beggars are and why they are there.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm sure someone here gave money to this poor thing... lol

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LkLVViDuzhg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Begging here, a service there,

Yes, I usually pass out a few coins to the upraised hand. But I do not pay the idiot who comes off the curb tossing a nasty looking sponge at my windsheild and then thinks I owe him for smearing it around on my vidrio.

Der Fish

first off let's differentiate rd vs. the states using the Derfish example; Windshield washing in the bronx heights is somewhere between annoying and scary. In the Capitol and many other areas of the rd, this a service to, for example, the 1000s of publicos whose coaches have not had new winshields let alone wiper fluid pumps since 1998.

in general I find what passes for begging in the US to often be an extension of the service sector in the rd.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It's like you see a begger and you buy something sweet and you stand in front of him and you eat it like you never ate it before and you're licking your fingers while doing it and you're looking him dead in the eyes.

tacano, please, what world do you live in? try offering any beggar here some food and they'd spit in your face. all they want is money. they are not asking for a piece of bread, they want five pesos.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
tacano, please, what world do you live in? try offering any beggar here some food and they'd spit in your face. all they want is money. they are not asking for a piece of bread, they want five pesos.

Funny how I've given food to beggers here and they took it, just sayin.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Derfish", thanks for pointing out what chip did for a living when he lived in Florida!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
No wonder he prefers the DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
There are two beggars in Las Terrenas to whom i sometimes give money, one has legs turned round the wrong way, to him I sometimes give a few pesos as he makes me think of my son, who when he was born had a similar affliction although the UK doctors gradually put it right. The second goes around in a wheel chair, he never asks for money but he is always invariably polite and friendly and even waves to me if I pass him in my car, he too I sometimes give money. I never give money to any other unless they perform a task or service for me such as loading my shopping into the car. With the exception of the Salvation Army I never give money to any of the heavily advertising charities since I learnt several years ago that their executives are paid more than I have ever earned.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Tomorrow, after Mass, my wife and two daughters, plus other church families, will be getting on a bus to go to a poor "Bario" in "Yamasa"
to give out food, candy, and toys to the children there.
I just got back from Super Mercado National near my home.
I kinda got carried away, but the Christmas /3 Kings Day candy was 75% off!
The same candy I paid 70 pesos a bag for in December.
My girls spent yesterday going through 3 trunks of their toys, all in great condition, to give to the children.
They came up with 3 bags.
My 10 year old was a volunteer camp counselor at a poor school this summer taking care of the "Tiny Ones"!
I am proud of them, of course, but I post this to show the best way to help those who are actually, "In Need"!
There are several charities listed on DR1 where you can donate your time, your money, or best of all, BOTH!
Just "PM" HillBilly if you want an idea of how to help.
As I said before here on DR1, in my opinion, giving away money on the street is condisending,and counter productive.
And, you just continue the cycle of poverty, and the number of people, including children, who believe that they are owed a living, and see no reason to ever work for a living!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, i always thought the same of oh-so-generous gringos who pay a 100 pesos for not having their shoes cleaned...
first, you teach the kid they do not actually need to do any work in order to get money, they just need to look sad and badly dressed.
second, you teach them that gringos have money and will spend it so next time i want to have my shoes cleaned i get cursed for paying the correct price.
third, even if you actually do have your shoes cleaned but you pay triple the rate you teach them that their work has no real value anyway and they get paid for something else entirely.

and you know what results from this? a train of thought that those kids from work=pay to them f**king gringos damn well owe me! and you are more likely to gain, instead of respect and gratitude you want, a notion that you are a dumb moron paying a lot of money for nothing and it is practically a service to humanity to rob you.

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
yes, i always thought the same of oh-so-generous gringos who pay a 100 pesos for not having their shoes cleaned...
first, you teach the kid they do not actually need to do any work in order to get money, they just need to look sad and badly dressed.
second, you teach them that gringos have money and will spend it so next time i want to have my shoes cleaned i get cursed for paying the correct price.
third, even if you actually do have your shoes cleaned but you pay triple the rate you teach them that their work has no real value anyway and they get paid for something else entirely.

and you know what results from this? a train of thought that those kids from work=pay to them f**king gringos damn well owe me! and you are more likely to gain, instead of respect and gratitude you want, a notion that you are a dumb moron paying a lot of money for nothing and it is practically a service to humanity to rob you.

Or like myself, I used to go from door to door when being young to ask if I could do chores and every blue moon someone gave me more than I've earned from others but I didn't even have to do a chore.

Yes you can assume that it's giving kids a bad example, for me it only gave me a smile and a bigger MacDonalds menu.

No I wasn't poor, but it was just me and the boys just needed some money for festivities going on in the city.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
When we first moved to the DR a young boy came to the door saying he and his family were so hungry could I please help them? OK, I made up a bag with potatoes, carrots and some other veg I had in the house - threw in a maggi seasoning cube. Watched from my balcony as he left and then threw the bag into the bushes at the end of the drive. I went and retrieved it. He came back a few days later and said this time he needed cash not food, his grandmother needed an operation. I asked if they had liked the soup from the veggies - yes of course it was so helpful but now cash please. I showed him the bag I had saved from the driveway. He got the rough side of my tongue rest assured and that just reinforced my belief that money doesn't get given out. I have had more beggers in DR refuse food and ask only for cash, which they don't get, than I have had beggers seem grateful for the food.

And as for the person that wants to shoot someone for feeding a street animal in front of a hungry begger - one question how can that begger still be hungry if you are there? Wouldn't you feed them? If a person wants to alleviate suffering be it animal or human how can anyone do anything but rejoice there is less suffering in the world? No one has the right to judge and demand that a person help to ease suffering in only one way. You are not god to set guidelines for doing good.

I will add one thing to the I don't trust people that don't like animals debate - I don't trust people that my animals don't like. I have found the various dogs, cats and horses in my life to have very reliable judgement about people. Oh yes, one of my best friends is a black woman that adopted a street dog and regularly lets the dog "kiss" her. It is definately a social/economic thing about how crazy you are about your animals - more disposible income - more craziness. :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I was a small boy, sometimes people who came to visit our home would want to give me, or my sisters, a "Dime", or even a "Quarter"!
My parents would never allow us to take the money.
AND, I REALLY wanted the money!
They would tell us that you should never accept money for no reason, you have to work for it!
That lesson stayed with me for a long time. I then taught it to my first child.
I don't have to teach my kids here, to not accept money that is, the "work" part yes, because nobody offers money here.
Now that I'm retired, I have changed my philosophy.
Obama told me that I am "Entitled", so I accept MY ENTITLEMENTS!!!!
See what happens when you give people "Free Money"????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC