Question about returns flight from DR to US

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I am flying to DR from UK early Aug and return to UK at the end of the year - I will have a return ticket and I am on UK passport.

But in Aug I have to visit US for a couple of weeks, so I plan to buy a return ticket from DR to US. (I did check all the other routes and alternative scenarios and figured this was the best and most economical way - flights from UK to US are astronomical in Aug due to school holidays !).

But one issue is that when I return from US to DR, the airline would say you are not a DR resident so you need to show some ongoing or return ticket of some kind. I can show my flight back from DR to UK but that is at the end of the year, about 4 months away.

Now the airline would say you can only stay in DR for 30 days on a tourist visa, so that return ticket does not count and not valid for this purpose. I wonder if they refuse to take me and would like to see some kind of ongoing or return flight within 30 days !

So do you guys have any experience with this and/or have any suggestion...., much appreciated.

(As you know we stay over 30 days in DR and then pay a fine on exit, but that is, somewhat, not according to the rules, the fact that we pay a "fine" means it is not according to the law to stay in the country for more than 30 days as a tourist..... I did ask sometime ago if I could get a longer tourist visa from DR embassy in UK, but I think nobody knew much about this or even if it was possible.)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The last time I flew to the DR from the US, I had a return ticket four months later (had to use a voucher before it expired). The person who checked me in never asked about residency or staying over thirty days because I had booked a round-trip flight. It almost certainly, unless you fly American Airlines (my experience is that they are the most exacting for ongoing or return travel) a non-issue.

bchamz

Jun 20, 2013
I did not even think about this- I just bought a ticket and thought I would play it by ear to see when I wanted to leave- is the rule that strict. I am flying into Puerto Plata and plan to stay for about a month. No return ticket bought yet. Should I buy one before I leave July 5th? Do I have to?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You only need it if they ask you for it...... and sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

The 'quick fix' is to buy a full price refundable ticket as proof of 'exit' and then cancel it for a full refund.

They may not ask you.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I got a full price return just in case, b/c i wanted no trouble.
From what I have read and heard people say it probably won't be an issue but who ever knows with the DR?!?!

The query does not happen in "the DR"... it happens at the check-in on departure for "the DR"....

Some airlines are lax in their duties... some are not.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Interesting point about American Airlines, in fact that is what I am planning to fly with. So anyone have experience with these guys regarding return flight (specially more than 30 days.... about 4 months in my case) !?

Full price refundable is a good idea I guess, don't you loose some admin/service/credit card fees or something even on those !? They always cook up some extras to add to the ticket price these days...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Interesting point about American Airlines, in fact that is what I am planning to fly with. So anyone have experience with these guys regarding return flight (specially more than 30 days.... about 4 months in my case) !?

Full price refundable is a good idea I guess, don't you loose some admin/service/credit card fees or something even on those !? They always cook up some extras to add to the ticket price these days...

They never twig to the 30 days... not their issue.....

just keep smiling and pull the old Dominican trick....
pretend you don't speak whatever language they are speaking to you

bchamz

Jun 20, 2013
So to recap- it sounds like I should buy a return ticket just in case-and then cancel it once I am over there in the Dominican Republic. I buy my tickets through priceline... will this mess up the refund? I have not read the fine print on the trip protection insurance... I did however just go to an official US Government Site and saw that they say nothing about a return ticket on the site.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So to recap- it sounds like I should buy a return ticket just in case-and then cancel it once I am over there in the Dominican Republic. I buy my tickets through priceline... will this mess up the refund? I have not read the fine print on the trip protection insurance... I did however just go to an official US Government Site and saw that they say nothing about a return ticket on the site.

If you are buying a full price refundable fare, you can do it directly with the airline and avoid the confusion of going through a middle man like PriceLine.

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Um.. I may be wrong, But isn't the visa good for 90 Days??? and only the Airlines like to try to get you to buy a return ticket. (so they can make more money). I do not think there is some Law saying you have to have a departure ticket....

I come and go and always buy one ways w/ no problem.. Never even mentioned... You could always tell them you are going to get on a boat and leave...LOL

Here, and when I was in Honduras, never a problem.... In Panama I had return ticket because I was in fact leaving after a week... Just something I never worry about...

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Just a quick feedback I flew from Houston to Miami and then POP recently using the American Airline, I checked in using one of their machines at the airport, nobody said anything regarding my return flight a few months later, don't think they even noticed it.

BTW, the new POP airport hall looks very nice, A/C cool and very efficient at the $10 tourist card pay and immigration and the customs (my suitcase came out right away, although I was asked to put my luggage through the X-ray, but after that was waved through). Out in 20 minutes or so... (though may be the plane was small and not full, normally European's flights are bigger and totally full.)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you have a return ticket to the UK that is probably all you need. If you are unsure call the airline involved and ask.

LTSteve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just a quick feedback I flew from Houston to Miami and then POP recently using the American Airline, I checked in using one of their machines at the airport, nobody said anything regarding my return flight a few months later, don't think they even noticed it.

BTW, the new POP airport hall looks very nice, A/C cool and very efficient at the $10 tourist card pay and immigration and the customs (my suitcase came out right away, although I was asked to put my luggage through the X-ray, but after that was waved through). Out in 20 minutes or so... (though may be the plane was small and not full, normally European's flights are bigger and totally full.)

oftentimes, nothing happens....... unpredictable on the part of the airlines.

like the border - US/Canada - ya just never know.

we learned one the other day -
it is legal for a foreigner (non-status US) to own a car in the USA, but don't trry crossing the border with it... verboten.

we Cdns need to register a car in Canada to have cross border privileges - so they told us.
Quite a pain to import,,,,,,,,,,,,,ugh!

Dandman

May 17, 2004
I had to cancel a flight I booked with Priceline. After much paperwork, I got a partial refund but only with a doctor's statement saying I was medically unable to fly. I would go with the airline directly.

L

legaleagle

Travelling on a one-way ticket is a gamble. I have heard stories where foreigners are allowed to buy the airline ticket and then border control at the airport makes them buy a return ticket on the spot. I agree with a previous post that states the only way to ensure you don't have any worries is by having legal status.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
If you go to the machine, when you check in, and only have carryon. No one asks. If you have a bag to check 70% chance they won't ask. American is really busy in Miami, so your chance are really good. Good Luck