Piano Bars in the DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the basic bachata is old. what today's musicians do is just use a computer instead of instruments. but nothing there is "new". i classify it as "the music my mother would like" or "s**t made before i was born".

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
For a person who loves to dance, nothing is better than salsa, or merengue, or yes, even bachata.
To each his own and thank God for that.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
For a person who loves to dance, nothing is better than salsa, or merengue, or yes, even bachata.
To each his own and thank God for that.

the difference between salsa and bachata and merengue is that you can listen to salsa if you do not want to dance. the other two do not have any value besides being metronomes for dance steps.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the difference between salsa and bachata and merengue is that you can listen to salsa if you do not want to dance. the other two do not have any value besides being metronomes for dance steps.

You have to be a real musician to play Salsa.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I resemble that remark, Merengue Tipico does require a few lessons and practice to play la tambora.
The cheese grater maybe one lesson!

my apologies, Tambo. a little hyperbole on my part. however, i stand by my assertion that if i can play the bass line, the music must suck!!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
To the OP, I was in the bar at the Hilton with family and they had someone playing the piano. It was ok, something a bit different then the usual. Plus you could still have a conversation with those you are with and not be "drowned out " over the music being played. They have a Happy Hour too, I may be wrong but I thought it was 6-7p but I could be wrong about the time.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Getting back to the "OP" question, there "was" a great little bar off the lobby of the Hotel Naco Plaza, in the
Naco Shopping Plaza,on Ave. Tiradentes, of ALL PLACES.
Hotel is still there, different name now.
Can't say if the bar is still there or not.
cc

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Getting back to the "OP" question, there "was" a great little bar off the lobby of the Hotel Naco Plaza, in the
Naco Shopping Plaza,on Ave. Tiradentes, of ALL PLACES.
Hotel is still there, different name now.
Can't say if the bar is still there or not.
cc

somebody has probably run off with the piano by now, and sold the strings for scrap metal.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
people like this caused me to give up the bass

Jeff Beck, Tal Wilkenfeld - Cause We've Ended As Lovers - YouTube

i knew it was never going to happen. i can still play in a bachata band, though.

Not to fret, Tal could play better than most veteran pros of any age or genre by age 15. And to date at still
under 30 yrs of age has played with the worlds best players.

But still, even Getty Lee enjoys Bachata and merengue from time to time. Some of the greatest pop songs of the
50 years have sought to utilize the syncopated passion of bachata...Hotel California as but one example.
And as a drummer And romantic at heart, there is something to be said for a national musical genre...where a
generations most Popular songs can be recited and danced to among all members of most families. That Is a
wonderful thing the US
and euro countries just do not have...a national, and passionately followed musical genre.

And btw, as someone whose opinions would cause him to drop his drum kit and pick up a cheese grater to
Participate it pains me to note that regarding your musical simplicity comments, Juan Luis, Anthony and even that other Santos...would tend to differ with you, have the bank accounts and in the case of Aventura the sold out
Shows from centro Olympico to the Garden to prove it.

Lo se, sold out shows do not account for taste. But just sayin

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not to fret, Tal could play better than most veteran pros of any age or genre by age 15. And to date at still
under 30 yrs of age has played with the worlds best players.

But still, even Getty Lee enjoys Bachata and merengue from time to time. Some of the greatest pop songs of the
50 years have sought to utilize the syncopated passion of bachata...Hotel California as but one example.
And as a drummer And romantic at heart, there is something to be said for a national musical genre...where a
generations most Popular songs can be recited and danced to among all members of most families. That Is a
wonderful thing the US
and euro countries just do not have...a national, and passionately followed musical genre.

And btw, as someone whose opinions would cause him to drop his drum kit and pick up a cheese grater to
Participate it pains me to note that regarding your musical simplicity comments, Juan Luis, Anthony and even that other Santos...would tend to differ with you, have the bank accounts and in the case of Aventura the sold out
Shows from centro Olympico to the Garden to prove it.

Lo se, sold out shows do not account for taste. But just sayin

i gave up playing music when i realized i was no good. however, i have listened to my fair share. i was 13 years old when i was listening to, and collecting, Coltrane, Getz, Miles, etc. you know that quality has nothing to do with selling out venues, because the average man cannot appreciate anything of higher quality, as far as music goes. that is even more true of today, when TV made people stars. if Chaka Khan and Joe Cocker had come along today, they would have died as trivia questions, since they are not tv friendly. Romeo Santos can probably sell out a venue that Amy Keys, for example, cannot. the gap in talent and ability is of Grand Canyon proportions. i love salsa, because it is creative, and has some serious orchestration. i have never heard a bachata song which i wanted to hear again. that is coming from a man who was the scourge of radio stations, because i would always call the board to get the names of songs they forgot to announce. bachata is for dancing, only. it is not a display of musical merit and skill. skill is Jeff Beck playing like he does without using a plectrum.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i gave up playing music when i realized i was no good. however, i have listened to my fair share. i was 13 years old when i was listening to, and collecting, Coltrane, Getz, Miles, etc. you know that quality has nothing to do with selling out venues, because the average man cannot appreciate anything of higher quality, as far as music goes. that is even more true of today, when TV made people stars. if Chaka Khan and Joe Cocker had come along today, they would have died as trivia questions, since they are not tv friendly. Romeo Santos can probably sell out a venue that Amy Keys, for example, cannot. the gap in talent and ability is of Grand Canyon proportions. i love salsa, because it is creative, and has some serious orchestration. i have never heard a bachata song which i wanted to hear again. that is coming from a man who was the scourge of radio stations, because i would always call the board to get the names of songs they forgot to announce. bachata is for dancing, only. it is not a display of musical merit and skill. skill is Jeff Beck playing like he does without using a plectrum.

beastwood, this one's for you...

Richard Bona Mandekan Cubano "Engingilaye" - Jazz ? Vienne 2012 - YouTube

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
casa colonial is a small boutique hotel in playa dorada complex. it's very expensive and very exclusive. they have a stunning bar and adjacent restaurant. drinks in the bar go for about 10 dollars. but the ambiance is worth it. there is a concert piano there (i believe that's what it's called, mammoth size, this thing) and in the evenings there is a pianist. decent one, as far as my tone deaf ear can tell.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
So we have Casa Colonial, the Hilton lobby and what used to be the Hotel Naco. At least that is a start. Thanks to those of you who stayed on topic. K

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
I have just been informed there was a lady in Caberete who used to sing jazz and play the piano. My friend tells me she still comes around once in a while- an older, black American lady, he said, who was really fun to listen to. Anyone know about her or the place she used to play ?