Here's a new one

Dec 26, 2011
I'm talking to my gf on the phone and her mom knocks on the door and enters the room. It's storming so she puts a towel over the mirror to protect her against the lightning.

That's a new one for me. Even the gf was cracking up.

Is there no end to Dominican superstition?

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
My grandmother (not Dominican, but superstitious) did the same. The thought behind it is that if a lightening bolt is reflected in the mirror the same time a person is, they will die.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
My grandmother used to do the same thing. She believed that, not only mirrors, but also tvs and computers attracted lightnings.

When I was a kid we had to turn the tv off during big storms.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Love it, hadn't heard that one!

As long as it doesn't involve someone ingesting something, it's all good!

Dec 26, 2011
My grandmother used to do the same thing. She believed that, not only mirrors, but also tvs and computers attracted lightnings.

When I was a kid we had to turn the tv off during big storms.

Mine too, except we didn't have computers way back then. :) But televisons were turned off. No talking on the phone. And no baths. But the mirror thing is new to me.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't know much about the science of these things, but lightening struck the cable junction (I think) on the roof above my apartment, came down the cable and blew the cable box and TV too. For good measure, the ceiling light came crashing down. Worse still, I jumped and knocked over a full bottle of wine! Luckily, I am still here to tell the tale!

Dec 26, 2011
I don't know much about the science of these things, but lightening struck the cable junction (I think) on the roof above my apartment, came down the cable and blew the cable box and TV too. For good measure, the ceiling light came crashing down. Worse still, I jumped and knocked over a full bottle of wine! Luckily, I am still here to tell the tale!

Not the wine!

May 12, 2005

3344651967_128675536574698229_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg