Young Dominican American Starting Over! Wish me luck...

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Just came on to say I'm sorry, got stuck OT at my job and now I'm dead tired....will definitely come on tomorrow with my info (which may help or not, not sure)
I gotta go to sleep though....I'm seeing vaginas everywhere I turn.
Birth is beautiful....until you've done it like 10 times in one day LOL
(Don't jump on me, I actually love my job)

SHALENA

NYWadjet

Jan 3, 2010
Well just went over quickly the whole thread and just wanted to add that there is a school ranking publication that comes out in Dominican Republic or at least came out in 2011. The name of this publication was "Ranking Escolar Clasificacion de Centros Educativos (CLACE) 2011, I have the pdf file just let me know if your interested and I will email it to you.

I also was born in NYC and live here now, but I did live and study in DR (Junior High School, HS & University), in Santo Domingo and went to private school (Colegio Del Apostolado). I still go often to visit friends and loved ones, as well as "hacer diligencias" (keeping my Dominican Residency up to date, get stuff fixed around the house, etc.)

I personally believe you can live there and the experience can be wonderful for your children. Of course remember every child is different. I mention this bc I loved the drastic change of being in a private Catholic all girls school with dress uniforms! My sister on the other hand hated it. It just wasn't for her, she ended up changing to another private school that was a better fit for her ... more like NYC. ;) Co-ed, non religious (thou they did give religion as a subject) and a more relaxed type uniform (slacks and shirt).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hi Bronzeallspice,
I am interested to hear your thoughts why my moving there single is any different from me living here single? As I've mentioned before I am really open to locations. I've explored the capital, san cristobal, puerto plata and sosua. Am asking to have a basis where to start. I've been told the capital is congested, lots of littering everywhere, cut throat and not as safe. I can stay in Florida and deal with that.. I'm just saying =)

If I were you I would look seriously areound San Cristobal and Bani. I was just out to Bani this last weekend and it is beautiful. There is a lot of money there in agriculture. The beach is beautiful. Ok Later on, when the kids are older you may have to move to the Capital, or Santiago to really get the best schools but they are young yet and I cannot imagine that a place that is a beautiful at that has anything but very adequate schools. The new highway is fainlly finished and it is about an hour from the Capital.

I really empathize with you. I left the States ten years ago for a variety of reasons.. but mostly because it was just.. well not what I had hoped it would be.. and my roots are USA back as far as..

But if your roots are San Cristobal. then go there. It is beautiful there. The North Coast is littered with us gringos and the trash that follows us,, the putas, the tigres, the crime,

but the south coast is still your country. Bani is probably the cleanest town I have seen in the entire country. really amazing. The beach is gorgeous.

Your kids will be able to play in the mango trees.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
OK so I'm late...I know.

Again, I live in Santiago and I just want to say first and foremost that I have a TON of expenses that you don't need. I just work a lot and I feel when I'm at home, I wanna live over the top. So anyway, here are my expenses, calculated monthly. Things are a little less now since the peso has dropped in value.

RENT - 68,000RD ($1700)
This expenses is sooooo far off what you actually need. The last house I lived in was only $500/mo and it was a perfectly lovely house with 4BR. You can even find some good 4BR homes for $375 (15,000RD). But my current house is over 5500sf and has pool, landscaped yards, marble, granite, blah, blah, blah.

ELECTRICITY - 8,000RD ($195)
This of course is due to the size of my home and I have AC in the bedrooms which go from about 8pm to 8am. Also the computer which stays on all of the time, and Bertania washes at least 2 loads of clothes per day (kids!!!) and my washer and dryer are both full size and electric.

BERTANIA - 12,000RD ($300)
She is my full time live-in domestic but more like family. The kids call her mama (I'm mami). She does most everything...ok, I'll stop lying...she does everything.

PERLA - 4,000RD ($100)
She is my part time live-out domestic. She was a friend of Bertania's family that I felt a little bad for when I first moved so I gave her a job. She was there keeping an eye on Victor and doing whatever odds and ends Bertania had her to do. Victor's now in colegio but she still works for me, cleans and cooks with Bertania and stays and cleans and such while Bertania runs errands, etc. (Did I mention I don't do sh*t?)

WATER - 500RD ($12)
By far, the cheapest bill I have

CABLE - 2200RD ($55)
This of course, again, is way more than what you probably need. I have full cable on 7 TVs.

INTERNET/HOME PHONE - I forget exactly how much but I know its less than 1,000RD ($25).I have a regular home phone and I have wifi, and knock on wood, so far haven't had much problem. There is a desktop in the living room upstairs and I have a laptop plus the kids have the PS3 and some Nintendo DS thingy that my son has and gets internet on

CELULAR - 2,000RD ($50)
My cell phone plan is much less than that (I think like 1,000RD) but I run the bill up text messaging the United States.

COLEGIO - 6,000RD ($150)
3 kids in private Dominican school at 2,000rd each.

GAS TANK FOR COOKING - 1,000RD
I don't know exactly how often we have to fill up the gas tank (Bertania handles all that) but I know its about 1,000RD to fill up the big tank, not sure about the small one. I have both so if the big one runs out, we have enough in the little until I can get the big one filled again. But like I said, I don't really bother with that.

JARDINERO - 1,000RD ($25)
You may not need this if your yard is not huge.

POOL GUY - 3,000RD ($75)
Self explanatory, if you don't have a pool....but he comes to do his "pool stuff" twice per week.

GUAGUA - 3,000RD ($75)
This is the price for pick up and drop off of all 3 kids for school. There aren't any school buses like we know of in the States.

CENTRO DE CULTURA - 1,500RD ($38)
My daughter takes ballet twice per week and both son and daughter take painting once per week.

TRANSPORTE - 2,400RD ($60)
Taxi to and from their classes at Centro (of course, if you have a car you will not have taxi or school guagua expenses).

FOOD - 30,000-35,000RD ($750-$875)
This is my worst thing because I'm sure I can cut this down but you know us Americans :)
And I don't look at sticker prices in the grocery store which is a fault of mine. But I did cut it down from 40,000RD!

ALERTA - 1,800RD ($45)
This is the security alarm system company for the house.

SEGURIDAD - 1,000RD ($25)
This is the neighborhood security group.

HUMANO - almost 40,000RD ($1,000) every 3 months
Full coverage health insurance for me, the 3 kids (oldest is in college in the states), and Bertania.

I think that's all. Of course, I've lived off of half of this before but I work my ass off in the states and when I come home I want to live nicely and not be pinching pennies. But you can definitely live comfortably on half of that or less, especially since you have family in DR.

The rest I'll answer your PM with :)
Good luck....hope you pick Santiago (which by far is the best city in DR)

SHALENA

Thanks for this NYWadget,
the school info is a little vague. They actually have an updated one for 2012, this was great thank you!

Well just went over quickly the whole thread and just wanted to add that there is a school ranking publication that comes out in Dominican Republic or at least came out in 2011. The name of this publication was "Ranking Escolar Clasificacion de Centros Educativos (CLACE) 2011, I have the pdf file just let me know if your interested and I will email it to you.

I also was born in NYC and live here now, but I did live and study in DR (Junior High School, HS & University), in Santo Domingo and went to private school (Colegio Del Apostolado). I still go often to visit friends and loved ones, as well as "hacer diligencias" (keeping my Dominican Residency up to date, get stuff fixed around the house, etc.)

I personally believe you can live there and the experience can be wonderful for your children. Of course remember every child is different. I mention this bc I loved the drastic change of being in a private Catholic all girls school with dress uniforms! My sister on the other hand hated it. It just wasn't for her, she ended up changing to another private school that was a better fit for her ... more like NYC. ;) Co-ed, non religious (thou they did give religion as a subject) and a more relaxed type uniform (slacks and shirt).

Shalena,
thanks for this expense list. It is helpful to see even though I sure as hell cannot afford your rent, knowing your a mom doing it independantly is such an inspiration girlfriend. Don't feel bad because you can and should live the way you want to live. For those who can't yet, are working towards the same thing and those who aren't better get with the program. I am starting to write everything down, someone sent me a direct link to the consulate, someone else to the school ranking statistics for the nation, someone else suggestions for residence and you too have also suggested Santiago which is great. All great places to start, thanks a million you Shalena and everyone else that has contributed to this post. I'm thinking of starting an updated checklist as a new thread.. We'll see!

OK so I'm late...I know.

Again, I live in Santiago and I just want to say first and foremost that I have a TON of expenses that you don't need. I just work a lot and I feel when I'm at home, I wanna live over the top. So anyway, here are my expenses, calculated monthly. Things are a little less now since the peso has dropped in value.

RENT - 68,000RD ($1700)
This expenses is sooooo far off what you actually need. The last house I lived in was only $500/mo and it was a perfectly lovely house with 4BR. You can even find some good 4BR homes for $375 (15,000RD). But my current house is over 5500sf and has pool, landscaped yards, marble, granite, blah, blah, blah.

ELECTRICITY - 8,000RD ($195)
This of course is due to the size of my home and I have AC in the bedrooms which go from about 8pm to 8am. Also the computer which stays on all of the time, and Bertania washes at least 2 loads of clothes per day (kids!!!) and my washer and dryer are both full size and electric.

BERTANIA - 12,000RD ($300)
She is my full time live-in domestic but more like family. The kids call her mama (I'm mami). She does most everything...ok, I'll stop lying...she does everything.

PERLA - 4,000RD ($100)
She is my part time live-out domestic. She was a friend of Bertania's family that I felt a little bad for when I first moved so I gave her a job. She was there keeping an eye on Victor and doing whatever odds and ends Bertania had her to do. Victor's now in colegio but she still works for me, cleans and cooks with Bertania and stays and cleans and such while Bertania runs errands, etc. (Did I mention I don't do sh*t?)

WATER - 500RD ($12)
By far, the cheapest bill I have

CABLE - 2200RD ($55)
This of course, again, is way more than what you probably need. I have full cable on 7 TVs.

INTERNET/HOME PHONE - I forget exactly how much but I know its less than 1,000RD ($25).I have a regular home phone and I have wifi, and knock on wood, so far haven't had much problem. There is a desktop in the living room upstairs and I have a laptop plus the kids have the PS3 and some Nintendo DS thingy that my son has and gets internet on

CELULAR - 2,000RD ($50)
My cell phone plan is much less than that (I think like 1,000RD) but I run the bill up text messaging the United States.

COLEGIO - 6,000RD ($150)
3 kids in private Dominican school at 2,000rd each.

GAS TANK FOR COOKING - 1,000RD
I don't know exactly how often we have to fill up the gas tank (Bertania handles all that) but I know its about 1,000RD to fill up the big tank, not sure about the small one. I have both so if the big one runs out, we have enough in the little until I can get the big one filled again. But like I said, I don't really bother with that.

JARDINERO - 1,000RD ($25)
You may not need this if your yard is not huge.

POOL GUY - 3,000RD ($75)
Self explanatory, if you don't have a pool....but he comes to do his "pool stuff" twice per week.

GUAGUA - 3,000RD ($75)
This is the price for pick up and drop off of all 3 kids for school. There aren't any school buses like we know of in the States.

CENTRO DE CULTURA - 1,500RD ($38)
My daughter takes ballet twice per week and both son and daughter take painting once per week.

TRANSPORTE - 2,400RD ($60)
Taxi to and from their classes at Centro (of course, if you have a car you will not have taxi or school guagua expenses).

FOOD - 30,000-35,000RD ($750-$875)
This is my worst thing because I'm sure I can cut this down but you know us Americans :)
And I don't look at sticker prices in the grocery store which is a fault of mine. But I did cut it down from 40,000RD!

ALERTA - 1,800RD ($45)
This is the security alarm system company for the house.

SEGURIDAD - 1,000RD ($25)
This is the neighborhood security group.

HUMANO - almost 40,000RD ($1,000) every 3 months
Full coverage health insurance for me, the 3 kids (oldest is in college in the states), and Bertania.

I think that's all. Of course, I've lived off of half of this before but I work my ass off in the states and when I come home I want to live nicely and not be pinching pennies. But you can definitely live comfortably on half of that or less, especially since you have family in DR.

The rest I'll answer your PM with :)
Good luck....hope you pick Santiago (which by far is the best city in DR)

SHALENA

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Kareline,
I consulted with a trustworthy, highly intelligent and frugal Domincan relative that is in your similiar situation.
She budgets around $100,000 a month. That is about $2352US (@$42.50).
She pays extracurricular activities for 2 of her kids. These include sewing, english lessons, etiquette and protocol (I love this one) and a membership to the local Club Recreativo https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-Recreativo-Inc/133758483344482
This is living in the Cibao area (Moca, La Vega, Santiago). There is a major airport and some big city ameniities in Santiago. The beach is about 1-1/2hr away and the mountains are just beautiful.
Once you start building your social network you and your kids will have plenty of invitations for things to do and you don't have to spend a pretty penny.

San Cristobal really?

Mountainannie,
would you consider San Cristobal with a kid going into highschool? It seems San Cristobal esta just un poquito atrasado how we say. I am going in Oct to visit for 10 days so stay tuned on my thoughts. Do you happen to have any suggestions on schools etc?

If I were you I would look seriously areound San Cristobal and Bani. I was just out to Bani this last weekend and it is beautiful. There is a lot of money there in agriculture. The beach is beautiful. Ok Later on, when the kids are older you may have to move to the Capital, or Santiago to really get the best schools but they are young yet and I cannot imagine that a place that is a beautiful at that has anything but very adequate schools. The new highway is fainlly finished and it is about an hour from the Capital.

I really empathize with you. I left the States ten years ago for a variety of reasons.. but mostly because it was just.. well not what I had hoped it would be.. and my roots are USA back as far as..

But if your roots are San Cristobal. then go there. It is beautiful there. The North Coast is littered with us gringos and the trash that follows us,, the putas, the tigres, the crime,

but the south coast is still your country. Bani is probably the cleanest town I have seen in the entire country. really amazing. The beach is gorgeous.

Your kids will be able to play in the mango trees.

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013
Hi everyone and welcome to my thread. I have secretly scoured the pages of DR1 for a few months now along with some other expat blogs that have been very informative and amusing. I am still in the process of putting this all together and am hoping to be moving back to DR early next year. Once the Holidays are over it should all start to settle shortly thereafter.

A little about me: Originally born in NY now reside in Sunny South Florida with my 4 children. Both of my parents are originally from DR. I have lived and studied there many years ago. I have been going back and forth with moving back there. Still unclear on the route I'm taking to achieve this in terms of residency or citizenship. Perhaps you all can clarify some of these implications, process and cost for each.

I would like information and perhaps referrals on schools, doctors, hospitals, health insurance, safe areas to live as a single mother with my 4 children, along with cost of living and even extracurricular activities available for the kids. My kids range in age from 12, 6, 3 and 2.

Some of my questions are below:

Are private international schools the only option? I personally would prefer local teaching focusing on our history and our literature. They can continue to speak English at home.

Hiring a babysitter, housekeeper averages are what per month?

Activities for kid’s afterschool and cost? Karate, Basketball, Baseball, Dance, Gymnastics etc. Hope I’m not naive to hope these exist here.

Need someone that speaks English that can serve as a personal assistant to answer phones, faxes, emails etc. Doesn't have to be perfect, I can help them refine.

Safe, nice areas to live in with price averages?

I don't require work as I own an online vehicle shipping company that I run from my home.

Finally would like to volunteer to teach English or a cause that helps feed, educate or encourage young women and men, boys and girls. Preferably something I can do with my 2 oldest.

Thanks for reading, I anxiously close!
:rambo:

Helllo,

I have some info that I hope can be helpful to you.

1) When it comes to babysitters and housekeppers wages, it depends on whether they sleep in or they come to work for a shift. But I would say it is between $6,000 DOP to $10,000 DOP

2) Activities? Yes there are activities for your children.

- Karate: There is a Karate school in Santiago right on Las Carreras. The name of said school is ****oryu. or they can go to El Palacio de Los Deportes

- Baseball: if there is a small Play de Pelota by where you plan to move chances are that they have a Liga de ni?os.

- Basketball: In santiago, the Basketball clubs like (Sameji, Cupes, CDP, La Plaza) have leagues for the younger ones that practice in their courts or at La arena del Cibao (Palacio de los Deportes). Or if they attend a private school most likely they have their team that plays in Los Intercolegiales.

- Dance is at the Centro de La Cultura, I have a friend who is part of the Ballet Contemporaneo de Stgo and also tteaches at El Centro de la Cultura.

- Gymnastics also at El Palacio de los Deportes next to el Estadio Cibao.

I dont know about the fees for those activities, but certainly know that they do exist. Also, most private schools in Santiago offer some of those activities at no extra cost or for an additional fee. I am moving back to Santiago with my little one after living in the U.S. for 10 years, 3 of those in Ft Lauderdale. And this is my last week here. If there is anything else that you would like to know maybe I can help. Good luck :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have 4 kids, living here in SD.
One at university, one high school, two in grade school.
We live in Arroyo Hondo, and own our house and vehicles.
We live a preety nice life.
With our kids our #1 priority, by FAR!!!
That's EXPENSIVE!!!!
Ask me anything, or "PM" me if you like.
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mar 1, 2009
Hola manita, I'm from NJ and lived in Miami for a few years. My answer is do it, it's not the same country that I left in the 80's but it's still DR. Me encanta aqui. Soy yo na' ma...It's just me and I my expenses are really low. I don't have any kids (as far as I know of).

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Update:

After 2 months in the house, the electricity is anywhere between 17,000rd-20,000rd :-(
But I've gotten spoiled with the air conditioner at night....okay, you twisted my arm,....afternoon & night.

SHALENA

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013
Wao! where do you live? o_O
My mom's bill is never more than $1,500 and she lives in Los Alamos in a 3 bedroom apartment. She does not have A/C and all her light bulbs are energy efficient. Also, no lights are on unless there is someone in that room.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Really JessicaRabbit, internet can range up to $500 is this u.s. per month. That is insanity! You spend almost $4000 u.s. per month in Santo Domingo? What is an average light bill with A/C ofcourse doesn't need to run 24/7 lets say? What can i expect?

Hi. My wife and I moved here 3 months ago (SD) with a then 11 months old son. Some of your questions I got answers for, others not:

We are paying less than 1k $RD a month here for electricity, but that's without air con. Expect it to be a lot more with 24/7 AC. Main issue with electricity is los apag?nes, naturalmente. This is for sure el pa?s de los apag?nes, y esto no se ha cambiado desde que saliste del patio. So, get un inversor as fast as you hit DR soil. But like I said, with out substantially lower budget, electricity bills has never been an issue.

Internet (Claro Multiplan) is 5MB/s, 165 channels and 500 minutes you can call for everywhere in the world (except cell phones abroad, they are charged for). We are paying 4200$RD for that, if I remember correctly. Takes less than an hour to download a DVD-rip of 1.5GB (so no need for spending cash on cinemas - just kidding). In my opinion, our speed is good for almost all sorts of Internet activity (except torrenting big files) and we never experience glitches or drops in speed.

Located in Santo Domingo, PM if you want more info about how it has been for us to move here with a young kid (I'm of Dominican heritage myself, btw, but born and raised in Europe).

Makinater

May 4, 2013
I do require reliable internet and have the SamsunG Galaxy NoteII which raises the question about cell coverage. I have to find out if my sprint plan will work from there. I am sure if I am frivolous with money and don' know how to budget myself I'm sure I can out myself in a pickle but then again I'm not living in a shelter here either am able to provide and sustain my family on my own. While it's tough I atleast look forward to be able to hire help that can alleviate the stress of keeping a tidy home with 4 active kids and a dog.

No mas fregadera... lavadera...limpiadera...barridera...chopadera, hahaha =)

In SD, I haven't lacked cell coverage once during our time here. Granted, it's only three months, but I believe most expats in SD can agree upon the fact that cell coverage is good en la capital.

As for the electricity, I happen to have the bill in front of me and it says:

Cargo fijo 30 d?as: $RD137.25
Energ?a: $RD 4.44 * kWh

So check your consumption, calculate what you will need here an you'll get a good estimate. Don't know how the kWh price differ from zona to zona though, so it will be somewhat different depending on where you choose to settle.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
What's Alma Rosa Material?

Someone prepared to fit into the zona Alma Rosa II, en Santo Domingo Este. One of the better neighborhoods at this side of town, but still nothing compared to the upscale districts in central SD. Then again, with a childhood in Pedernales, I don't think you'd hate it. It's not bad, in my opinion. But it's not luxurious either.