The Cibao old families & Geneology

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Anyone know anything about the Cepin family tree in Santiago? All I know is that the first Cepin were from Moca. I have tried to look for more info with no luck. Also, I found out that one of my ancestors was a guerrillero...Nene Cepin. He is mentioned in some writings.

The only Cepin family I've ever met in Santiago are the owners of Hotel Ambar and the car dealer next to it.

Busyness people, smart!

JJ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Anyone know anything about the Cepin family tree in Santiago? All I know is that the first Cepin were from Moca. I have tried to look for more info with no luck. Also, I found out that one of my ancestors was a guerrillero...Nene Cepin. He is mentioned in some writings.

The book I have jumps from CEPEDO to CERA. Could the name have been changed? Sorry.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
The only Cepin family I've ever met in Santiago are the owners of Hotel Ambar and the car dealer next to it.

Busyness people, smart!

JJ

Yup. I know them. We are related. However, my mom told me we have no relationships with them.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Nope. It's definitely Cepin.

Okay, I asked because Mr. AE's grandmother from Navarette had the surname Beco. Turns out that wasn't the original name. Her ancestor was a Vesco from Italy. It mutated into Besco with the b/v issue, and then lost the 's' to Dominican pronunciation. Some of the family still use Besco. Only in DR. [One of these days I'll find out who owns the zillion "Banca Beco" in the area, undoubtedly a relative]

Interesting aside. Many, many years ago [80+] the Italian government sent a representative to DR because a Vesco had died and left a large fortune with no heirs, except an uncle who had moved to DR. Abuela Vesco/Besco/Beco and her siblings were unable to produce any proof that they were indeed Vesco descendants [different times, rather illiterate people], and the estate was forfeited to the Italian government. True story.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Okay, I asked because Mr. AE's grandmother from Navarette had the surname Beco. Turns out that wasn't the original name. Her ancestor was a Vesco from Italy. It mutated into Besco with the b/v issue, and then lost the 's' to Dominican pronunciation. Some of the family still use Besco. Only in DR. [One of these days I'll find out who owns the zillion "Banca Beco" in the area, undoubtedly a relative]

Interesting aside. Many, many years ago [80+] the Italian government sent a representative to DR because a Vesco had died and left a large fortune with no heirs, except an uncle who had moved to DR. Abuela Vesco/Besco/Beco and her siblings were unable to produce any proof that they were indeed Vesco descendants [different times, rather illiterate people], and the estate was forfeited to the Italian government. True story.

Wowzers insane story. But undoubtedly something that happens many times.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Wao amazing story AlterEgo.

Nope. It's definitely Cepin.

I'll encourage all Dominicans, especially Santiagueros who for the most part have deep roots in the island and also plenty of record of Santiaguero families are available to go to the main church in Santiago, and or to that big building in las Carreras to look up marriage records, for 500 pesos is amazing what you might discover. Also, complement your search with oral history from the older relatives, write down every single name and every single thing they tell you, sometimes the brother of your great grandfather might be in record somewhere and not your great grandfather itself and from there you can learn the name of his parents and even grandparents. Also, getting in contact with one of the genealogist from "el institude de genealogia Dominicana" is a good option, if they have time they'll help you out for free.

It took me several years but thanks to all these steps, I've traced my ancestry by paper to people who lived in the early 1700's, is hard but not impossible.

The story of my family might not be very interesting, but here it is; most of them were sent to Gurabo, Santiago from the Canary Islands in the late 1600's to try to stop the French expansion in the island. I'm a direct descendant of Juan Dominguez who was born in 1716 in Gurabo to canary parents, from him descent almost all people who carry the surname Dominguez in Santiago, and many famous political and historical people of DR are descendants of this men. One of Juan's great grandson Sixto Dominguez Hernandez would married Jacinta de Leon Fernandez this union gave way to the Dominguez de Leon family which were all tabaco growers and were heavily affected by the Dominican annexation to Spain in 1863, thus must of them became foot soldiers for the Dominican cause and fought against the Spaniards, some such as Jose Ramon Dominguez de Leon who was a wealthy acendado contributed big sums of money to the Dominican war cause.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

I'll encourage all Dominicans, especially Santiagueros who for the most part have deep roots in the island and also plenty of record of Santiaguero families are available to go to the main church in Santiago, and or to that big building in las Carreras to look up marriage records, for 500 pesos is amazing what you might discover. Also, complement your search with oral history from the older relatives, write down every single name and every single thing they tell you, sometimes the brother of your great grandfather might be in record somewhere and not your great grandfather itself and from there you can learn the name of his parents and even grandparents. Also, getting in contact with one of the genealogist from "el institude de genealogia Dominicana" is a good option, if they have time they'll help you out for free.

It took me several years but thanks to all these steps, I've traced my ancestry by paper to people who lived in the early 1700's, is hard but not impossible.

The story of my family might not be very interesting, but here it is; most of them were sent to Gurabo, Santiago from the Canary Islands in the late 1600's to try to stop the French expansion in the island. I'm a direct descendant of Juan Dominguez who was born in 1716 in Gurabo to canary parents, from him descent almost all people who carry the surname Dominguez in Santiago, and many famous political and historical people of DR are descendants of this men. One of Juan's great grandson Sixto Dominguez Hernandez would married Jacinta de Leon Fernandez this union gave way to the Dominguez de Leon family which were all tabaco growers and were heavily affected by the Dominican annexation to Spain in 1863, thus must of them became foot soldiers for the Dominican cause and fought against the Spaniards, some such as Jose Ramon Dominguez de Leon who was a wealthy acendado contributed big sums of money to the Dominican war cause.

Have you talked with any acquaintances outside the family for them to do their own diggings?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007

Din't you find out "El negrito detras de la oreja"

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Oldest surname on Earth is, Perez. Yes, this how the story goes...When God was already done with his new creation (planet Earth) called Adan and said... This is your home, You are to ruler over all other living creatures, I will give you a woman and she will give you descendant, 80 is the age of your life and then... "Pere-seras".

Pereceras // Will die.:disappoin

Funny Dominican joke! different spelling but sound the same.

Jaja

JJ

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Have you talked with any acquaintances outside the family for them to do their own diggings?

The crazy thing is that talking to may great grandmother and with the help of the genealogist and author of "Los Dominguez de Gurabo" Juan Esposito Rodriguez, thanks to both of them I've connected my other Dominguez lines to the original Juan Dominguez, basically my main ancestors were Felipe Domominguez de Leon, and Etanislao Dominguez Rodriguez, both born somewhere between 1820-1830, they were grandsons of Cristobal Dominguez Fernandez and great grandsons of Juan Dominguez making them first cousins, one of Felipe's daughters Maria Dolores Dominguez Abreu got married to one of Etanislao sons Manuel Dominguez Fernandez in the La altagracia church in Santiago in 1881, they were second cousins and this constitutes one of my Dominguez lines and I'm partially descendants from that union but my direct great grandfather and from whom I get the Dominguez surmane is Rafael Dominguez Fernandez brother of Manuel and son of Etanislao. I can keep going onm but I'll bore you to death with so many names lol, anyways one of these days I'll create a virtual family three or something like that and show it to you. Is pretty exiting to be able to trace my family so far back, in part thanks to the great memory of my great grandmother and thanks to my family up to my grandparents generation getting married through the church, which means all their marriage records are all in file and searchable. As you can see it also proves my claim that it was quite common for second cousins to get married back then.

De la integraci?n de ambas familias surgi? la estirpe Dom?nguez de Le?n, que se origin? con la uni?n matrimonial de Sixto Dom?nguez Hern?ndez, hijo de Crist?bal Dom?nguez Fern?ndez y Felipa Hern?ndez, y Jacinta de Le?n Fern?ndez, hija de Francisco de Le?n Valerio y Manuela Fern?ndez.

Sixto a su vez era nieto de Juan Dom?nguez y Catarina Fern?ndez, mientras que los abuelos de Jacinta fueron Francisco de Le?n y Paula Valerio.

La familia Dom?nguez de Le?n estuvo compuesta por nueve hijos, a saber:

1. Antonio Dom?nguez de Le?n: cas? primeramente con Liboria Reyes. Enviud? y contrajo segundas nupcias el 12 de febrero del 1872 con Liboria D?az de Le?n. De sus hijas, Mar?a Dom?nguez Reyes cas? con el andaluz Antonio V?squez Garc?a, siendo troncos de la familia V?squez de Gurabo, mientras que Celestina Dom?nguez Reyes cas? con el malague?o Gregorio Blanco Vel?squez, y son ascendientes del reconocido m?dico Dr. Pedro Mar?a Jorge Blanco y el ex presidente Salvador Jorge Blanco, padre del actual secretario general del Partido Revolucionario Dominicano, Orlando Jorge Mera. Tambi?n descienden de Antonio varios ramales de las familias D?az y Fern?ndez a trav?s del matrimonio de Cipriana Dom?nguez Reyes con Mart?n Fern?ndez Abreu. Por igual, desciende de Juli?n Dom?nguez Reyes un ramal de la familia Cruz.

2. Eduardo Dom?nguez de Le?n: cas? con Josefa Guadalupe Mart?nez D?az. Junto a Francisca de Inoa procre? a un hijo reconocido, Vicente. De sus hijos descienden parcialmente las familias Castro, Hern?ndez, y Mej?a. Para el 1863 figura como inspector de Agricultura en Santiago.

3. Felipe Dom?nguez de Le?n: cas? con ?gueda Abreu. Enviud? y luego cas? con Luc?a Morales, con quien procre? a Julia Matilde Dom?nguez Morales, esposa del maestro constructor Agust?n Antomarchi Matey, natural de Yauco, Puerto Rico. Otra hija, Narcisa Dom?nguez Morales, caso en 1908 con el espa?ol Francisco de Jes?s Rey Rojo, quien para entonces resid?a en la ciudad de Santiago.

C?psulas geneal?gicasLos Dom?nguez de Gurabo - Hoy

As you can see in this part of article it talks about my ancestor Felipe, I was surprise that my great grandmother remembered his name but also remembered that his first wife Agueda Abreu died, and that her grandmother Maria Dolores was raised by her step mother Lucia Morales.

Anyways thanks to all this I know that my 4 oldest known ancestors were Juan Dominguez (born in 1716), his wife Catarina Fernandez, and Francisco De Leon (born in the early 1700's) and his wife Paula Valerio. Francisco de Leon is the patriarch of the de Leon family of Gurabo and all of Santiago.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Din't you find out "El negrito detras de la oreja"

JJ

Umm I'm not sure what you mean by this, but if it's what I think your saying, then no I don't really know of any of my ancestors being "black" or even "mulato", although I know that I have African ancestry just like almost every single Dominican, and this is confirm by DNA testing which I'm also interested in, although is very small. I, again like almost every single Dominican also have some Amerind or Taino ancestry, basically all Dominicans are a mix of three races, to varying degrees, unless of course the Dominican in question is the son of recent immigrants.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003

Thank you Gurabo. I will certainly look into it next time I am in Santiago.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
I was able to go back to about 1794, any help from someone is appreciated, family comes from Licey al Medio.
cabrera.jpg

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Thanks for sharing chellow, I'll ask one of my friends at el instituto de genealogia Dominicano to see if he has any info on Francisco Cabrera, maybe he could find out the names of Francisco's parents. I think I read somewhere that the Cabrera family in Santiago is of the many Canarians families they sent to DR and the Cibao between 1660 and 1695. Do you know if the Cabrera surname is common in Licey al medio? all the Cabreras I know are from Navarrete.

BTW where did you create that family tree?