Do-it-Yourself Temporary Residency Renewal Procedure

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
For the criminal background check I found out my lawyer will do this for $rd1000 which I will gladly pay so I don't have to wait 2-3 hours in POP

Jan 17, 2009
FYI, you don't need a lawyer to get your criminal records. Any friend, family member, or simply someone you pay to go for you can get your records. I wasn't even there.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I got mine and my husband's criminal record checks done today in Puerto Plata. It took about 10 minutes at the building and 1 hour wait inbetween where I left and then came back to pick it up. When I got there, one of the guys at the door (who had a badge and uniform of sorts and was allowed behind the glass area, so a legit guy) took our cedulas and our receipt from Ban Reservas from me right at the door, copied them and gave cedulas right back (so he then had nothing important of ours) andtold me to come back in an hour. When I did, he gave me the completed documents and kindly asked for a little something for himself. I gave him the 200 pesos I happened to have in my wallet and he was more than pleased with that. Easy enough since I had to go to Puerto Plata today anyway.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone, I goy my first temporary residency and cedula for one year on the 14the of jan 2014
which means it will expire next jan 2015
For this first time, I did it with my lawyer. But I'd like to go for the renewal by myself as I now know where to go and my spanish is improving. My question is when should I start the whole process to be on time before expiration
:)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi everyone, I goy my first temporary residency and cedula for one year on the 14the of jan 2014
which means it will expire next jan 2015
For this first time, I did it with my lawyer. But I'd like to go for the renewal by myself as I now know where to go and my spanish is improving. My question is when should I start the whole process to be on time before expiration
:)

I started the process about two weeks before due date and went to the renewal offices the week before expiry.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Ok Bob, thanks for your answer. I'll surely do the same...

And to make it perfectly clear:
I have my first residencia and cedula (temporary) and I'll have to renew it at that end of 2014.
In that case, do I need to get medical test again.

Jan 17, 2009
No, you don't need a medical to renew your temporary residency (only to renew permanent residency). See my original post. That was my second renewal of temporary residency without need for medical.

Ok Bob, thanks for your answer. I'll surely do the same...

And to make it perfectly clear:
I have my first residencia and cedula (temporary) and I'll have to renew it at that end of 2014.
In that case, do I need to get medical test again.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am in the middle of a permanent renewal calling for the physicals...

did it on the 20th.... we heard at the time that the waiting period was less than the stated 10 days,

so we are 6 business days into it...... we'll see if it comes through early in the week or not.
I have my doubts

will report back

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
We've got all our documents, photos, letters, etc. ready and are heading to the capital early tomorrow morning to renew our temp residency (with lawyer). Will update on how it goes and the time it takes, etc. And will hopefully have renewed residency in hand by tomorrow afternoon!

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Does anyone have the exact address for the building we go to do the residency renewal? We are pretty sure we still know how to get there driving, as we've been a couple of times before, but exact address would be handy. Thanks!

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Thanks very much!! Very helpful.. especially as I was thinking it was the Ministerio de Relaciones Exterriores we were going to... but maybe it is just the name I have wrong, not the location? Looks around the same place or at least very close. My husband does the driving so I am not sure.

Direcci?n General de Migraci?n

Here you go, it is right at the Malec?n, just west of Winston Churchill.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
One last question if anyone gets this in time... you mentioned in the original instructions that we should not get a visitor's pass at first as we'll need our cedula. Don't they try to make you get a visitor's pass when you go in or else not let you enter? How do we avoid that?

Jan 17, 2009
No, at the time I went, they were asking for the visitor's pass only to get in inside to take your photo. If you leave your cedula at the desk, you won't be able to pay. After you pay, yes, then you can go and get your visitor's pass and leave the cedula with them.

I put a link to the DGM in my original post. Honestly, I do not know if they're a dependency of MIREX.

One last question if anyone gets this in time... you mentioned in the original instructions that we should not get a visitor's pass at first as we'll need our cedula. Don't they try to make you get a visitor's pass when you go in or else not let you enter? How do we avoid that?

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
When I got mine a few weeks ago I didn't get a visitors pass at all,- just walked in--was never questioned. Got photo upstairs,- no one checked for visitors pass. Might change from day to day tho------------

A

aquapon

I all. I am new on here a would like to know about first time residency cards.
Is there a thread about all the new laws?

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Temporary Residency Renewal_ UPDATE April 3,2014.

First thank you Expat-in Cabarete, followed all of your info and everything was as you said.

Went to migration with all the papers that Expat wrote in post 1 (minor change used bank
Letter as proof of solvency and now they require minimum balance of 100000.00 pesos).

Followed instruction as detail in post 1. Pick up application form in window 3, paid 100 pesos, filled out form and went to window 11, girl checked papers and took finger print, went and made photo copy of application form with now finger print and return to window 10 and gave all papers. (Neatly prepare in folder, original first and then 4 copies). Girl told me to go in 1 hour and pay at window 3. After 1 hour went and paid in window 3 (3000 pesos plus 1000 pesos VIP). Girl said wait will call for photo. Around half hour later call me and follow girl upstairs for photo. Note on this day the visitor pass to get in was not required and the whole place was under renovation so they were using tables in front of the windows. Now after photo taken the girl said to wait 20 minutes and that they would call me to give residency card.

After 1 hour they call me and a few other people and said no Cards today that the machine to produce the card broke. Now VIP service is they will call me in a few days when card is ready??..( to follow up)

Also there was a letter posted at window 3 that the JCE central for foreigners was close until April 21, 2014. So no new Cedula or renewal before.

Unfortunately did not return home with residency card or cedula, but all info given by Expat is right on. I also agree with Expat that it is not necessary to pay a lawyer for Renewal of Temporary Residency. You would be basically paying Lawyer for making photo copies and picking up paper of good conduct.( note that people there with lawyers did not received card because machine broke down)

Note to moderator this is a very good and informative thead that Expat wrote on RENEWAL OF TEMPORARY RESIDENCY. The other comments on other kind of residencys ( Ex. Permermate or new residency) should be place in another thead so that people would not confuse the process more than it is.

Thank you Expat for the very valuable info. Thank you moderator for making this a sticky.

PS. Expat in Cabarete waiting for your experience in the future about acquiring Permante Residency.

XTraveller

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Sorry, I keep meaning to write about how it went for us last Monday.

Well firstly I must say a huge thank you to Expat-in-Cabarete for writing this out for all of us. It was a massive help and I don't think I would have dared try this without a lawyer without having this. But my gosh, I am so glad we did because we absolutely did not need a lawyer, as the process was so easy and straight forward when following these directions.

We left Cabrera very early so we could get to the residency building right at 8:00am (probably got there around 8:20am). It was still pretty empty so we got our forms from window 3/4 with no line at all and no wait. The other windows are under construction so instead of window 11, we went right up to the table they had at the front to get papers checked. No line again and no wait. My husband and I were written down as # 4 and 5 that day, but noticed the room quickly filling up by then so it was good that we got there early. After finger prints and photo copies, they sent the folders of our papers to get the big check and told us to sit and wait for 1 hour then go up to check. I went up at about 50 minutes and they were ready. No problems with our papers at all. We used our land and house titles, plus car title (husband only) instead of letter fron guarantor. No questions asked about that. At this point they told us to go right upstairs for photos. No wait. After photos they told us 20 minutes for the cards to be ready. This took about 30 minutes so not much longer than they said. Cards were given to us at around 11:15am, so less than 2 hours after we arrived in the building. Oh and also, no visitor's passes required at all that day. I guess due to the construction?

We then grabbed a taxi over to the cedula building to save us driving and getting lost. Taxi driver offered to wait for us for no extra cost and didn't take any money from us before going in the building. Went into get cedulas. No line. Got photos done and printed right away and were out of there in 15 - 20 minutes.

We couldn't believe how easy the whole process was!! We kept saying all day how it couldn't possible be going any better and kept waiting for something to go wrong, but it didn't. We were finished everything by 11:45am and on the road with both sets of cards in hand.

One extra little tip to make the whole process seem so much easier?? Do what we did... have a toddler who you spend almost all of your time with, including long bank lines, grocery shopping, doctor's office waits, restaurants, etc. etc. and then on the day you are going to renew your temp residency... get the toddler a babysitter!!! ;)

Thank you so much again Expat-in-Cabarete!!! To anyone else thinking of doing this without a lawyer... go for it! It really was so easy and worth saving all that money in lawyer fees!

Jan 17, 2009
You're very welcome, Xtraveller and TravelHippo. I'm so glad that my instructions helped you saved lawyers fees! They charge a ridiculous amount of money to make copies and tell you where to sign.

I'm going back in August to renew one more time. Hoping it'll be the last.