Marrying a Domincan and relocating to DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I have lots of experience. Listen up! You are from a first, world, rich country. They are from a poor country. They are from a culture full of dishonest people and it is ok in their mind to lie or cheat or pretend or fake to be in love for monetary benefits or any other type of benefit. I can speak from many relationships. THEY WANT SOMETHING FROM YOU. Eventually, they may ask for a visa, green card, help for a family member, job, money, high end jewelry and an SUV. There is a 99.9% chance that they will want something. You better feel them out really good. Take years to see what is going on. I am almost 100 percent sure that in weeks, months, years or more, they will try to hitch a free ride off of you or some type of monetary benefit. I am not saying to not marry them (Dominicans are often good looking and awesome people and very laid back and cool and fun to be around). I am just saying to hold onto all of your money and visa help and everything and just sit back and wait for them to ask for something. Do not trust them, just wait for them to try something to see how it really is. When they ask, fake like you are really stupid and have no idea what they are doing. Do not give them anything. See what happens if they get mad or change suddenly. Maybe even toy with them and tell them after the marriage and see what happens. Wait for their finances to coincidentally collapse or something like that mysteriously and you are the only person who can help coincidentally. Wait for a day to come when you say I love you and they hit you for some cash like an ATM. Just don't get your head taken off and be careful. You are putting yourself out there for this person and personally, I would have too much experience to be in your shoes thinking of marrying them instead of feeling them out for 3+ years. Be the person who stinks financially who cant give a visa or money or anything and see what happens. If they want or need your cash and visas and thing then you know the real deal and how it really is and the true colors.

I see your point, but would say that applies to most folks in most countries.

Try living with most women in the US for 4 years without putting a ring on their finger, and see how it goes.

And I've been with women with high and low financial expectations, but they ALL had expectations. That's just the way it is. Why someone would chase after a poor person in a third world country, and be SHOCKED that there's some interest in financial security is a bit surprising, to say the least.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Monogamy isnt important until your husband stops coming home. LOL I have heard that bs before. Ya all is happy until you see a strange lipstick on his collar and then the world ends.
Do yourself a favor and do a search on all the women who married thier dream man without doing the due dilligence.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Right, I knew it wasn't too difficult. But as far as the process is concerned, I just want to make sure I have all the documents etc. that I need before I get there. And also, I need info about their fiancee visas...

I am surprised that no one has given you the information you need yet, just off topic relationship advices. Basically, you have two options if you are going for a residency or citizen in the Dominican Republic (even though there are more options, I do not think any of them will apply to your situation): marry him and get citizenship more or less right away, or apply for a 1 year residency (which can be renewed and prolonged to two years, after the first 12 months have passed).

There are three options for you when applying for residency:

1. Immigrants (se entiende por tales extranjeros que poseen la
calificacion profesional, de oficio u ocupacion que requiere el
desarrollo del pais o que se ajusta a requerimientos de personal no
satisfechos nacionalmente)

2. Investers (se consideran inversionistas aquellos extranjeros que
aportan sus propios bienes para realizar actividades de interes para el
pais, cuyo monto minimo sera fijado por via reglamentaria.
Jubilados, pensionados o rentistas, considerandose como tales
extranjeros que comprueben percibir un ingreso regular y
permanente de fuentes externas, que le permitan vivir en el pais y
cuyos montos minimos seran fijados por la via reglamentaria).

3. Family reunion. This is for foreign parents to Dominican nationals or parents to foreign permanent residents in the Dominican Republic - parents are defined as mothers/fathers to children living in the DR, that is persons below the age of 18 years (so your folks can't get a visa on the spot as soon as you get your visa, unfortunately - unless you are underage, of course :squareeye).

That means I would go with option 1 or 2, if I were you. And since you are starting a business here, it's probably best to go with the invester option. You can either choose to apply as "Inversionistas Directos", if you are going to invest 200,000 USD or more into the country: or as "Rentista Extranjero". I'm not sure that it is possible to just open a business and invest 200 K to get a visa. Most likely there are requirements as to what sector of the country's economy the investment has to be made in, and how it has to be done. Would be great if you could just invest in your own, newly founded firm though. Check it out, maybe it's not impossible.

The latter option is probably a lot easier. Prove that you are making at least 2,000 USD a month (work contract, employer certificate, tax records, whatever), and then undergo the regular procedure for getting a visa in the DR. With the rentista option you will, from what I've heard, get things done faster than if you go for a residencia provisional ordinaria. Costs a bit more, but is probably worth it (28,460 DOP vs 23,120 DOP). In any case, you should check that out as well as I can't swear that it's true (not the figures, they are exact and correct; I'm referring to the statement that you get the process done faster as a rentista than as un solicitante de residencia ordinaria).

You can find most of the information you need on these pages, although Ley No. 285-04 is in Spanish (hey, you got to learn the language anyway, since it's only possible to get by on English in this country if you will be living in any of the tourist ghettos :nervous:):

Ley No. 285-04, General de Migraci?n

Ordinary provisional residency

Investment residency

La Constiticui?n de la Rep?blica Dominicana (article 11, on citizenship, declares that a foreign woman who marries a Dominican man have the possibility to opt for Dominican nationality - as a side note, I may add that a foreign man who marries a Dominican woman has to wait 6 months into the marriage until he can opt for Dominican nationality).

I hope this reply contains answers some of your questions. If not, feel free to PM me instead of replying here, since I probably won't be checking for updates in this thread anyway. You should also PM me if you need a great lawyer to smooth the process for you, since it's nothing but a headache to navigate the legal system here if you don't speak fluent Spanish and know how to find and interpret adequate legal texts.

Last, but not least, there are other costs beside the ones I have mentioned and the ones you will pay in DR. You will have to get documents from your own country, have them apostillados by a notary public, translated into Spanish (which is best to do at the DR embassy in your country, if possible, since then the translation will be valid without a second trip to a notary public).

Much luck, sunshine and happiness ...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi all!! I am in desperate need of advice on marrying a man from DR. I know the place is full of "sankies" and con artists etc, however I do not believe my man to be one of these based on the simple fact that he has never asked me for ANYTHING. He has his own business and takes care of his own problems. I have even offered to help and he would not allow it. So basically I've already gotten the "don't marry a Dominican" speech. LOL I have made the decision to move forward with the relationship, and met him while visiting DR on business. I had already planned to relocate there, it just so happened that I also met a great guy. Problem is, it seems like everything on the net is talking about bringing your Dominican fiance or spouse to the US and I'm going there. Can someone with experience please help!!! Gracia! :)

he might have his own business, but is he making any money? you have not disclosed what this business is, so we have no gauge of his financial situation. that is critical in a relationship here. more so than in other places i have lived.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Hi all!! I am in desperate need of advice on marrying a man from DR. I know the place is full of "sankies" and con artists etc, however I do not believe my man to be one of these based on the simple fact that he has never asked me for ANYTHING. He has his own business and takes care of his own problems. I have even offered to help and he would not allow it. So basically I've already gotten the "don't marry a Dominican" speech. LOL I have made the decision to move forward with the relationship, and met him while visiting DR on business. I had already planned to relocate there, it just so happened that I also met a great guy. Problem is, it seems like everything on the net is talking about bringing your Dominican fiance or spouse to the US and I'm going there. Can someone with experience please help!!! Gracia! :)

Loyalty and the Dominican man DON'T mix (generally speaking) - the tend to have NO honor.

look at how many of them have children and never look back/help out. - their own flesh and blood. Stick their
penises in anything - anytime - including friends,families, wives and girlfriends, etc.

Dont Do it. There is NO net benefit to you. This man has his eye on a visa out - %100. not that this is a bad
thing considering their situation, but this is what he has his mind on - consciously or subconsciously.

Apr 13, 2011
Right, I knew it wasn't too difficult. But as far as the process is concerned, I just want to make sure I have all the documents etc. that I need before I get there. And also, I need info about their fiancee visas...

You are from the US, correct? You do not need a visa or any other document except for your passport to come to the DR and be with him.
Then, if it works out, you can marry him (why rush getting married until after you have spent some significant time here with him - getting married will need some documents - birth certificate, single status, translations, etc - I am sure there is a thread on getting married in the DR) - then, you can worry about getting residency, etc as someone married to a Dominican.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2005
I see your point, but would say that applies to most folks in most countries.

Try living with most women in the US for 4 years without putting a ring on their finger, and see how it goes.

And I've been with women with high and low financial expectations, but they ALL had expectations. That's just the way it is. Why someone would chase after a poor person in a third world country, and be SHOCKED that there's some interest in financial security is a bit surprising, to say the least.

DRRob I know that you've been around the DR once, twice, three times so you know that you've seen men get absolutely raped financially in the DR. It's done with a guile only found in prisons and found that those foreigners that have "been there, done that" have left and sworn NEVER to go back not even for a 4 day vacation. Someone recommended "playing" broke, I think it's a good idea, however there are so many benefits to marrying an American that this may not be the truest test. The best way is to court for no less than a year, let the honeymoon pass, "take care of yourself" and then re-evaluate.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
You need a long form birth certificate, passport and money, i moved here 5 years ago and got married, that part is easy.... Ii would suggest you spend a good year here before you get married, life here is very different once you are living here. I am no long with my "husband" but have since met a wonderful, honest, loyal hard working guy... so it has worked out fine. pm me ifyou want more

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Richard, I don't disagree with you. I just think it's universally applicable.

Consider: from a local perspective (where most Dominicans would be thrilled to clear $700 a month), someone on a stable 2k+ pension (or other income) and a first-world passport is considered to be wealthy.

These folks go to DR in the hopes of using their economic advantage to their overall benefit. I mean, how many stunningly attractive young women do you see with older blue collar folks back home? That's purely a fantasy, brought to you by the producers of every variant of "The Honeymooners" over the past 60 years.

Also, how many divorcees from back home come to DR looking for a fresh start after being "cleaned out" by their ex-spouses?

It happens.

But yeah, tread slowly, don't throw a bunch of money around, and see if you're more than just sexually compatible with the other person.

Good advice anywhere.

Feb 15, 2005
Richard, I don't disagree with you. I just think it's universally applicable.

Consider: from a local perspective (where most Dominicans would be thrilled to clear $700 a month), someone on a stable 2k+ pension (or other income) and a first-world passport is considered to be wealthy.

These folks go to DR in the hopes of using their economic advantage to their overall benefit. I mean, how many stunningly attractive young women do you see with older blue collar folks back home? That's purely a fantasy, brought to you by the producers of every variant of "The Honeymooners" over the past 60 years.

Also, how many divorcees from back home come to DR looking for a fresh start after being "cleaned out" by their ex-spouses?

It happens.

But yeah, tread slowly, don't throw a bunch of money around, and see if you're more than just sexually compatible with the other person.

Good advice anywhere.

I appreciate your intelligent reply DRob and I concur. Not to hijack the thread, but man o man, I have seen guys send money to their girlfriends in DR after hearing them bitch constantly about having to pay out child support to their OWN kids but ok with her. Seen older men move to the DR, hook up with younger women with kids and she then wants urgently to get pregnant with his. Know of foreign women move in with the local family and get locked down, while her man runs around drinking etc, while she's indoctrinated into the social acceptances of her new relationship.

It's nuts, so just be wise OP.

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
I am surprised that no one has given you the information you need yet, just off topic relationship advices. Basically, you have two options if you are going for a residency or citizen in the Dominican Republic (even though there are more options, I do not think any of them will apply to your situation): marry him and get citizenship more or less right away, or apply for a 1 year residency (which can be renewed and prolonged to two years, after the first 12 months have passed).

There are three options for you when applying for residency:

1. Immigrants (se entiende por tales extranjeros que poseen la
calificacion profesional, de oficio u ocupacion que requiere el
desarrollo del pais o que se ajusta a requerimientos de personal no
satisfechos nacionalmente)

2. Investers (se consideran inversionistas aquellos extranjeros que
aportan sus propios bienes para realizar actividades de interes para el
pais, cuyo monto minimo sera fijado por via reglamentaria.
Jubilados, pensionados o rentistas, considerandose como tales
extranjeros que comprueben percibir un ingreso regular y
permanente de fuentes externas, que le permitan vivir en el pais y
cuyos montos minimos seran fijados por la via reglamentaria).

3. Family reunion. This is for foreign parents to Dominican nationals or parents to foreign permanent residents in the Dominican Republic - parents are defined as mothers/fathers to children living in the DR, that is persons below the age of 18 years (so your folks can't get a visa on the spot as soon as you get your visa, unfortunately - unless you are underage, of course :squareeye).

That means I would go with option 1 or 2, if I were you. And since you are starting a business here, it's probably best to go with the invester option. You can either choose to apply as "Inversionistas Directos", if you are going to invest 200,000 USD or more into the country: or as "Rentista Extranjero". I'm not sure that it is possible to just open a business and invest 200 K to get a visa. Most likely there are requirements as to what sector of the country's economy the investment has to be made in, and how it has to be done. Would be great if you could just invest in your own, newly founded firm though. Check it out, maybe it's not impossible.

The latter option is probably a lot easier. Prove that you are making at least 2,000 USD a month (work contract, employer certificate, tax records, whatever), and then undergo the regular procedure for getting a visa in the DR. With the rentista option you will, from what I've heard, get things done faster than if you go for a residencia provisional ordinaria. Costs a bit more, but is probably worth it (28,460 DOP vs 23,120 DOP). In any case, you should check that out as well as I can't swear that it's true (not the figures, they are exact and correct; I'm referring to the statement that you get the process done faster as a rentista than as un solicitante de residencia ordinaria).

You can find most of the information you need on these pages, although Ley No. 285-04 is in Spanish (hey, you got to learn the language anyway, since it's only possible to get by on English in this country if you will be living in any of the tourist ghettos :nervous:):

Ley No. 285-04, General de Migraci?n

Ordinary provisional residency

Investment residency

La Constiticui?n de la Rep?blica Dominicana (article 11, on citizenship, declares that a foreign woman who marries a Dominican man have the possibility to opt for Dominican nationality - as a side note, I may add that a foreign man who marries a Dominican woman has to wait 6 months into the marriage until he can opt for Dominican nationality).

I hope this reply contains answers some of your questions. If not, feel free to PM me instead of replying here, since I probably won't be checking for updates in this thread anyway. You should also PM me if you need a great lawyer to smooth the process for you, since it's nothing but a headache to navigate the legal system here if you don't speak fluent Spanish and know how to find and interpret adequate legal texts.

Last, but not least, there are other costs beside the ones I have mentioned and the ones you will pay in DR. You will have to get documents from your own country, have them apostillados by a notary public, translated into Spanish (which is best to do at the DR embassy in your country, if possible, since then the translation will be valid without a second trip to a notary public).

Much luck, sunshine and happiness ...

Thanks! This is very helpful.

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
Apparently some of you did not read the sentence that said "I have gotten the "Don't marry a Dominican" speech already. LOL I appreciate you taking the time to comment, none the less. I understand that many people have found themselves in situations with a person who needed something from them, or wanted to come to the US but that isn't the case here. It's funny because almost every Dominican I ever met here was only in the US to make money for their family and when I asked if they wanted to go back they always say YES. So it's a very different perspective being presented in this forum. As for my BF's business, he's actually doing better than most financially and has been successful for over 10 years at it, so I don't think that really presents a problem. He is drop dead gorgeous, and could easily have any rich tourist woman he wanted. I am not rich, and he knows this. All the money I have is going toward my business. Despite all that, I have not completely thrown caution to the wind, which is why I like to do my own research on things and why I'm here. And I want to say thanks to everyone who was kind enough to present a positive outlook! I'm a firm believer that your attitude often shapes your outcome more so than the situation itself. I understand, there are risks involved. But it just so happens that I'm a risk taker, have been my whole life. So if anyone is prepared for this challenge, it's me.

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
If you are not concerned about monogamy, why get married? You could have a "loyal" Dominican boyfriend ;)
By the way not impossible, but highly improbable. Good luck with your plan....

One question, why isn't he seeking out the information (visas etc.) for his bride to be?

He has looked for some info for me, but I like to double check everything myself. And yes, I could simply have a boyfriend but do want to have children and would like to be married to do so. Marriage doesn't only represent monogamy in my opinion. Its a commitment to another person, plain and simple. The details of that commitment are up to the people involved.

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
Baby I have been looking for a woman just like you for decades. ' Honey how was your day ?" Baby I had sex with 3 different woman today. "oh no problem , just as long as your honest"

I don't expect everyone to understand, its ok. LOL Luckily, I wasn't really here asking for relationship advice, I wanted to know about fiance visas! LOL

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
More advice. It is a different culture. It is ok to drink and drive, it is ok for men to sleep with prostitutes and have any sexual encounter however they want and to be prideful about it, it is ok for male bosses to sleep with their workers, it is ok to beat up robbers in the police station, meeting someone off the internet is some huge luxury, it is ok lie and cheat people to get money and visas and it is a great big honor to do so, it is ok to cheat and be prideful about it and many other differences. Do not just jump into a relationship, you really got to feel out the person and the culture and that takes years of feeling everyting out and looking to see if it is real or not.

So basically it's ok to do all the same things people do in the US even though its not OK here. LOL Got it. If you have any info on Visas, which is actually what I was asking for, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
A couple of things are troubling here:
"He has his own business and takes care of his own problems. I have even offered to help and he would not allow it. ........"

meaning the business is obviously having problems, and asking for "consejos" from strangers online is also troubling.

Yes, he is facing some challenges but they aren't financial. What business do you know that never encounters a problem? Point me to it! I need to start that up right away. LOL And asking for advice was what this forum was all about, I thought?!? There is no better way to research something than to ask experienced people, and then fact check it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.