The Better Dominican Rums

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Barcelo Gran Anejo and Barcelo Imperial used to be my favorites among regular rums, but recently I tried Brugal 1888 (~2.300 RD for the bottle) and was blown away by the quality. I am giving my guests Barcelo any day before that one.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Rum lovers should visit the Brugal installations in Puerto Plata. They should call ahead and ask for a knowledgeable person to be on hand to explain about the rums. They are producing some excellent rums there.

Another place to visit for rum lovers is the Barcel? Rum Historical Center in San Pedro de Macoris. In Spanish it is the Centro Hist?rico Ron Barcel? (CHRB), a 15-minute drive from Juan Dolio. It is a museum-store that tells the history of rum-making in the Dominican Republic. Barcel? rums are sold on site. The tour includes rum tasting. Carretera Ingenio Quisqueya. Km 6 1/2

Take note that Dominican rums are classified under the prestigious label of Denomination of Protected Origin (D.O.P) as are the products of the region Champagne, France and tequila from Mexico.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Okay, just to lighten things up, this "ad" appeared on my Facebook page today:

1932415_10203629579608863_1663109065_n.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Barcelo Gran Anejo and Barcelo Imperial used to be my favorites among regular rums, but recently I tried Brugal 1888 (~2.300 RD for the bottle) and was blown away by the quality. I am giving my guests Barcelo any day before that one.

My wife drinks Brugal 1888, but she drinks it with sprite and it kills me to see 1888 mixed. Lol. I enjoy Brugal Extra Viejo!

drescape24

bombero

Jan 20, 2014
i drank the Ron Barcelo Imperial for 10 days ... it's O/K with coke or Pepsi as is Mount Gay ... the extra viejo the same... the Ron Zacapa , Oliver Grandes Rones .... a whole other level...

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Not to criticize because everyone has their own taste. while here I enjoy Ron Barcelo dorado and president beer. Yes they may not be FINE, but they do the job at a reasonable price.

But in a land(Canada) full of quality and variety of beers and whiskey, I could never imagine comparing these to what about 3 different brands of beer and 4 different rums(DR).

For example read this link, go buy some and test for yourself Forty Creek Whisky - Tales From The Creek

Personally I would rather put 20 lbs of Dominican Coffee in my suitcase.

Hey, I've had some great experiences w/some CC. Smooth as silk, but the theme is rum and the best rums are found in the Caribbean.

bombero

Jan 20, 2014
When i sampled the rums in a small thimble plastic cup,it tastes totally different in a larger glass at home...? I thought the Zacappa was my fav but the Oliver Grandes rones black rum is smooth as glass but only 34 % alcohol... the Esplendido is 38% but is mighty fine if i do say so... Oliver and Oliver is from Santadomingo ... I'd like to get someone to bring back some 1888 for me too... I brought home 6 bottles as it was...lol

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
XL and 1888 are both fine choices for outstanding sipping rum at reasonable prices.

The old Supermercado National in Santiago has a locked shelf area with some VERY expensive rums in it. I mean $150 expensive...:surprised

(I scored a bottle of 15y.o. 5-star Barbancourt in Haiti in December...:D)

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
There must be a more recent discussion about this but I cannot find it so I will post here. Just landed in Santo Domingo and I saw the Punta Cana rum while in the supermarket. Pretty good. First time I saw it.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There must be a more recent discussion about this but I cannot find it so I will post here. Just landed in Santo Domingo and I saw the Punta Cana rum while in the supermarket. Pretty good. First time I saw it.
It is a lot better than the headache inducing Brugal.........

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Brugal 1888 is one of the best juice being put into a bottle in the bottle today.
Grow your alligator arms and level up 📈💵‼️

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Brugal 1888 is one of the best juice being put into a bottle in the bottle today.
Grow your alligator arms and level up 📈💵‼️
Maybe for your taste, but not mine. Ante up a few shekels and taste a REAL RUM. This is the 25 year old, but the younger ones will still put your selection to shame...........

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Maybe for your taste, but not mine. Ante up a few shekels and taste a REAL RUM. This is the 25 year old, but the younger ones will still put your selection to shame...........

:rolleyes: the post above deserves a strike-thru⬆️

Been on my shelf...Flor de Cana
I have the 7, 12, 15, and the 25
You see I am not narrow minded like some.
You cannot tell me ANYTHING about a "real rum" or 💰
So expand your mind "mr. know it all".

Furthermore I am glad that you share MY tastes.
Because from the majority of the posts I read that you write I didn't realize you had any. :ROFLMAO:

Mr. Vegas

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
:rolleyes: the post above deserves a strike-thru⬆️

Been on my shelf...Flor de Cana
I have the 7, 12, 15, and the 25
You see I am not narrow minded like some.
You cannot tell me ANYTHING about a "real rum" or 💰
So expand your mind "mr. know it all".

Furthermore I am glad that you share MY tastes.
Because from the majority of the posts I read that you write I didn't realize you had any. :ROFLMAO:

Mr. Vegas

So your new approach is to now verbally state that certain comments deserve a strike through because I warned you not to actually do so when replying to a poster's comments going forward.

You seem to be making the rounds on different threads constantly getting into a tit for tat with other posters.

Tone it down immediately or you will find yourself without access from DR1 until at least sometime next year.

Reactions: keepcoming

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Yes a dominican rum thread here..but…hey the brand to look towards is Mt. Gay.
Copy that
Mt. Gay is 💥
I was a on a cruise and one of the ports of call was where their distillery is.
Took a tour.
It is an experience I still remember today.
I have not seen Mr. Gay available here in the 🇩🇴.
Flor de Cana is here though.
And I did not buy it in duty free. 😅

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
The subject of the thread is: The Better Dominican Rums

And you just did it again.

You could have easily replied to my comment and stated that you were simply trying to point out that he was off topic.

Better yet; you could have just stated such from the beginning rather than dismissing what others posted.

Another option is to let the Moderator here do their job and get things back on topic.

You could have also reported it as off topic.

See how many options you had.

Instead, you seem to go out of your way to be condescending and controversial.

We are done here.

Proceed with caution.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002

As Vegas pointed out this is Off Topic.

Also, his opinions and tastes are his right.

Let’s tone down the rhetoric when replying.