Canadian resident wanting to be married in the DR

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I understand that you must have your documents translated into Spanish, now I have been advised that both my birth certificate and my divorcee decree must be sent back to my province and notarized and stamped by the Dominincan Consul in Canada. Really????
Has anyone been through this or perhaps Mr. Guzman could respond as to this process and how long it might take. Besides the hassle of getting documents back to Canada.
Thanks

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Yes, those documents need to be legalized. In the USA, its the secretary of the state for wherever these documents originate. This is not unusual, so I am sure your province has a website explaining how to do it. I never got mine translated because I knew the judge. I suppose this would be better done here after they have been legalized.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You can get it done in the DR. Have the documents translated, I can recommend McCollum Sanlley in Santo Domingo (if you're not in Santo Domingo you can send the documents via Metro Pac) then take the originals to the Canadian Embassy or one of it's offices to get a certified copy done (Canada does do the apostillado). Then take the documents to the Cancilleria in Santo Domingo to get the necessary stamps. The Embassy can also do the Statement of Single Status if you don't have it.

Here's the contact info for McCollum Sanlley
Contactenos

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
I was married in the City Hall of Sosua a few years ago. Yes, you need translation of documents. I had my birth certificate and divorce decree with me, divorce decree was also translated...BUT I never needed anything done from Ontario. If you plan to do this in/near Sosua PM me and I can offer someone to help guide you.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I understand that you must have your documents translated into Spanish, now I have been advised that both my birth certificate and my divorcee decree must be sent back to my province and notarized and stamped by the Dominincan Consul in Canada. Really????
Has anyone been through this or perhaps Mr. Guzman could respond as to this process and how long it might take. Besides the hassle of getting documents back to Canada.
Thanks

There is a Toronto company that does the documents etc.
About Us

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I needed translations but nothing had to go back to my home country nor did I need embassy involvement. Everything was taken care of in Sosua.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Thanks everyone for your replies. We are waiting to see what the outcome of the translation is, and if that is going to suffice.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
That's a good enough reason to not get legally married here. Too much paperwork to do and get another piece of paper that will make more paperwork if you dicide to end it. I like the shacked up way. End it and go on your way.