Chikungunya Virus - Dominican republic under alert

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
one would think the recent drought is keeping the population down a bit.....

very dry here in Cabrera..... bone dry

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Conejo Rate

one would think the recent drought is keeping the population down a bit.....

Well, the CAASD is distributing water, so the population can continue to multiply at the normal 'conejo'rate... :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

CAASD distribuye agua en barrios afectados por baja producci?n - listindiario.com

donP

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I have been in DR past 3 weeks and I finally caught this nasty virus and I didn't caught any fever because I keep taking Ibuprofen 200mg every 4 hours for 2 days straight but I just have sore joints and it's hell and no fun at all then I start realize I have red spots on my arm and my leg, is that from this virus? Also strange thing, I didn't have dizziness, vomiting and others.

Thank god its all gone now, I lasted 3 days. I feel bad that many DR have this virus and suffering more than 2 weeks, even month. I assume the DR meds are not that reliable like in the USA?

Aug 6, 2006
What happens is simply that people have to truck in water to bathe with. That results in them having less to buy other things with, like Presidente. The effect on the birth rate is not yet known.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Presidente Prioritiy

What happens is simply that people have to truck in water to bathe with. That results in them having less to buy other things with, like Presidente.

N/A to barrio residents.
They do not pay for water, be it piped or by truck.

No water >>>>>> burning tires. :pirate:

donP

Aug 6, 2006
Where did you get the idea that water is trucked in for free?

This is not the case in Barahona. The water there was off for about ten days.
No one burned any tires, but the people I know had to pay for the water.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Santo Domingo
The president of the Dominican Medical Association puts the number of Chikunguya cases at more than half a million and says that finally half the population* will be infected.

Government's figures are much lower:
Direcci?n General de Epidemiolog?a - DIGEPI (MSP) Rep?blica Dominicana
Descargas | Fiebre de Chikungunya | Alerta Epidemiol?gica | Archivos varios

El Caribe ? CMD dice 500,000 tienen chikungunya

donP

*)
I remember an earlier statement when the percentage was given as high as 80%.

Half of the population is expected to be infected by the virus? There is no way now that I will
be stepping foot in the DR until this is way under control.

I was planning a trip for July. Now postponed.

It is escalating.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Half of the population is expected to be infected by the virus? There is no way now that I will

It is escalating.

Yeah.....me too..... we left just as it was beginning. My joints already ache, it they get worse from that I'll be some serious trouble.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
oh come on you two.....

I arrived Saturday.....
The weaker sex can't make it - can't take it ??

haven't even heard a mosquito buzz.........

ouch, my elbow .... oooh, my knee.....:eek:gre:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

It is escalating.

Family trip already booked (with kids and grand Ma) :(

I stay optimistic, I just don't want my trip to be ruined by any of us being sick. I had malaria before, it can't be worse.

I will be more careful this time (mosquito repellents) and come down with Ibuprofen just in case.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
oh come on you two.....

I arrived Saturday.....
The weaker sex can't make it - can't take it ??

haven't even heard a mosquito buzz.........

ouch, my elbow .... oooh, my knee.....:eek:gre:

Ha, you did make me laugh. Weaker sex or SMARTER sex? If I were going to an AI in PC I'd be on the next plane, but out in the campo where we live, where everyone is down with it, no thanks.

I told Mr. AE that Bronzie was canceling her trip and he said "I don't blame her". Ain't nuttin' weak about Mr. AE.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have no choice (not that I want one)...... Great Lake house rented to pay the bills....

I was thrown out into the street for 6 weeks....
straight to the aeropuerto..........

smarter........... fast on your feet today AE..........

en serio - plenty of sickies here in Cabrera.... teller at the bank, many of them down with it

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Update
Local folks are calling pollogunyna because it is easier to say than chickengunya. LOL

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Family trip already booked (with kids and grand Ma) :(

I stay optimistic, I just don't want my trip to be ruined by any of us being sick. I had malaria before, it can't be worse.

I will be more careful this time (mosquito repellents) and come down with Ibuprofen just in case.

Good Luck to you and your family.:) Yes, be careful when outdoors.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Ha, you did make me laugh. Weaker sex or SMARTER sex? If I were going to an AI in PC I'd be on the next plane, but out in the campo where we live, where everyone is down with it, no thanks.

I told Mr. AE that Bronzie was canceling her trip and he said "I don't blame her". Ain't nuttin' weak about Mr. AE.

And you and I know how agonizing "pain in the joints" can be. :( I'll pass.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I wonder if there is some kinda of travel advisory about this epidemic, may be it would be reason enough to cancel with the airlines ?

Last edited:

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
I was ready to book for the end of September for 2 weeks, i think i now will wait and see how this progresses. I take the information on this site as an advisory. :)