Carnival Cruise Lines - Port in Maimon

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
i find it really interesting, as you say, that all the taxi traffic ends up at one place...Cosita Rica. i wonder how they arranged that one..

Good morning G,

Carnival dictates to all associates how things go. This includes Taxis. Tours and stops all have to be approved by Carnival including boat tours, taxis, the works. They do everything that they can to insure none of their clients (tourists) have anything derogatory to say about their vacation. They do this at all of their locations with their associates.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Good morning G,

Carnival dictates to all associates how things go. This includes Taxis. Tours and stops all have to be approved by Carnival including boat tours, taxis, the works. They do everything that they can to insure none of their clients (tourists) have anything derogatory to say about their vacation. They do this at all of their locations with their associates.

i guess you are right. they cannot afford any black eyes, and that seems to be a situation that works for them.

have a great day, my brother.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
i find it really interesting, as you say, that all the taxi traffic ends up at one place...Cosita Rica. i wonder how they arranged that one..

I know a taxi-driver who works there and he told me they pay 500 pesos at each cab-driver (Cosita Rica 200, cariuela 200 and the guy with the beach chairs 100 pesos) so they all go there.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know a taxi-driver who works there and he told me they pay 500 pesos at each cab-driver (Cosita Rica 200, cariuela 200 and the guy with the beach chairs 100 pesos) so they all go there.

not surprising. i knew the payoff had to be there, somewhere. now if only Carihuela learned to make decent food.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Interesting. Could a Dominican citizen actually take one of these cruises?

Not unless it only goes to the DR or Haiti. If they have US/UK/Schengen visa yes - depending on the nationality of the islands they are visiting. I once booked on a visa free cruise with my Dominican husband and kids, but the week before we were due to sail around 17 Dominicans jumped ship in Martinique so then they imposed Schengen visas which meant we could not go.

Matilda

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not unless it only goes to the DR or Haiti. If they have US/UK/Schengen visa yes - depending on the nationality of the islands they are visiting. I once booked on a visa free cruise with my Dominican husband and kids, but the week before we were due to sail around 17 Dominicans jumped ship in Martinique so then they imposed Schengen visas which meant we could not go.

Matilda

So, in essence, almost no Dominican citizens will be able to board a cruise in the DR. Most cruises tend to go to locations where both a US visa and a Schengen visa will be needed. The odds of having both for a DR citizen is close to zero.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I beg to differ, my partner has both visas and is a Dominican citizen

So, in essence, almost no Dominican citizens will be able to board a cruise in the DR. Most cruises tend to go to locations where both a US visa and a Schengen visa will be needed. The odds of having both for a DR citizen is close to zero.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Unless I am reading the website incorrectly, booking from Amber Cove is limited to 2 weeks (Christmas and New Year) and is already all sold out. Then trips move back to La Romana. :disappoin

interesting. limited time offer or testing the ground?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Matilda

Incorrect.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

It is fallacious to use such broad generalizations towards the population of an entire nation. May I suggest expanding your social boundaries.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Not intending to come across as irritable and prickly, but it is erroneous to assume that the entire Dominican population as a whole is mired in abject poverty. This is not the case. Not the case by far.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not intending to come across as irritable and prickly, but it is erroneous to assume that the entire Dominican population as a whole is mired in abject poverty. This is not the case. Not the case by far.

Not intending to over generalize at all. I realize that a very, very, very small percentage of the DR population will have both a US visitor's visa and a Schengen visa which would be necessary to take such a cruise.

I am quite certain that is the case, but alas and alack I have no easy way to prove my assertion since those numbers are not published by the USA or EU.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is fallacious to use such broad generalizations towards the population of an entire nation. May I suggest expanding your social boundaries.

Of course you can suggest it. I am quite certain I am correct that very few Dominicans have both a Schengen Visa and a USA visitor's visa. A very small percentage of the population.