Mitsubishi Montero 2008, thoughts?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what?! I'd love to buy a new pathfinder if I could afford one.

i like the look of their newer nissan quaohwhothehellcares SUV. very pretty. but alas, not everyone has the money to buy pretty :) so overall i think that buying a montero is a good idea if you find one that has been well taken care of.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
i like the look of their newer nissan quaohwhothehellcares SUV. very pretty. but alas, not everyone has the money to buy pretty :) so overall i think that buying a montero is a good idea if you find one that has been well taken care of.

Yes, so it seems I was the only one with a crappy Montero. The only time I bought an excellent used car is when I brought my weird uncle who is a car freak. I ended up buying an 1997 Mazda 626 sedan, everybody told me it was an old man's car, but it was the best car I ever had.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
our old montero was sold to some sort of acquaintance of my SIL. the new owner is very happy with it, he's had it for few years now and zero issues. but then miesposo takes excellent care of our cars: regular checkups, changing oil, fixing small scratches immediately, cleaning from the bottom, waxing and so on. so yeah, maybe you just had bad luck? but our was just regular gasoline version, maybe diesel was worse? who knows.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
three word answer for the DR - Toyota, Toyota-Toyota. I know this to be true as my wife bought a Ford Explorer.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
I had a Montero Dakar 2003. Drove it for 7 years.. Mechanically never had any problem with it... The Car itself is like a tank.. I had 1 sedan crashing in my car and my car had almost no damage but the sedan was gone!! Had another hit with my door hitting a car.. other car had damage my montero nothing.. Only problem after a few years you need to change the parts and those can be costly for Mitsibishi.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Monteros are great in The DR. They're popular cause they're inexpensive. Their downside as someone already mentioned is their gas mileage sux big time, so if you do get one I would suggest spending the money on the propane retrofit. If you can spend a bit more money though go with a CRV or RAV4 (Better mileage, quality, etc...and if/when you decide to sell you'll get most of your money back).