Cigar SHOCK.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Tamboril

Highly recommend visiting La Aurora cigar factory in Tamboril. Great tour that is free and includes an El Presidente beer and a great cigar to smoke during the tour.

You are not the first to recommend Tamboril. From your experience there, would you say that there are sufficient cigar promotonal boutiques there to justify a special cigar trip? I can Google following but, in general, stay in Santiago and use public transport to Tamboril or stay in Tamboril?

I also bring my cigars IN, FROM the D.R. A great irony. However, now that I've found a very nice budget cigar for $RD 150 (see first post), I'm buying here. When you find something good, consider yourself lucky, and grab it until something better comes along . . .

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Good Advice

Ladies and gentlemen,

For those who are interested in learning about cigars (capa, capote and tripa (which is again divided in seco, ligero and volado); vitola's and marca's) I refer to this article:

Cigar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A little about my experiences in the DR regarding buying premium quality cigars.

1. What is good quality; from the Dominican crop to me it is either:

- Fuentes; Opus X, Anejo and Reserva or their specials
- Davidoff in the smaller vitola's.

Of course the real treasures are the specials from Opus (Lost City, Forbidden City, Anniversary boxes) or Prometeus (God of Fire), those are not sold at retail in the Dominican Republic. In fact at the Casa Fuente in SDQ they deny the existence of such a product to your face.

2. Where to buy it; there are a number of shops that I have visited in the DR:

- Casa Fuente in SDQ, on 27th Feb. A small selection of Opus X, no specials but all the other vitola's are present. They did not have any Anejo Sharks when I was there, neither did they have any specials (they denied their existence). Prices are expensive (even more then in Europe). I would avoid this place for serious buying, I might return to enjoy the lounge.

- Cafe Cubano in Sosua on Pedro Clisante (owned by Brian). Equal selection of Opus X as in SDQ, and many other cigars. Davidoff and some real Cuban as well. As broad a selection as you can expect in a tourist town, at reasonable (still expensive) prices. I was told HSA is difficult about getting a good selection to the shop, so I bring him some stock from my personal reserves.

In general, if you have access to buying in Florida - buy your non Cuban cigars there.

For Cuban cigars there are some trusted online sellers if you want quantity.

For the sake of full disclosure - I don't work in the cigar industry and am just a consumer. My general preference is towards Cuban cigars, with sufficient age (5+ years), with the occasional Opus, Prometheus, Davidoff or Padron thrown in.

Your post is definitely worth a copy/paste! I am typing a text document with the information on this thread for future reference. One can waste a lot of time (and money) looking for a good cigar.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
That is your prerogative Steve.

Just as it is mine to relentlessly seek the best I can find, and yes I do notice the difference and it isn't small.

Just two day ago I had a Partagas Churchill de Luxe 2001 (discontinued since 2006)... no freshly rolled stooge can match tis in nose, complexity, refinement and variation in taste, while maintaining the strength throughout.

Yes you pay a little extra (in this case I paid RD$ 600 for the stick), but for one of the great Churchill's with that amount of age, it really is a steal.

For me, cigars are a passion, for others a pass-time. Both are fine...

However, the pass-timer should refrain from broad statements about quality and not being worth it... leave that to the aficionado crowd...

In fact I would go as far as saying, sight unseen, that the RD$ 300 stick is overpriced compared to my Partagas...

I am not saying that there is not a difference. Just as there is a difference in whiskeys or between a Dodge and a Cadillac. It just depends how much you are willing to pay for this difference. To the average cigar smoker that difference is not worth it. There is good quality and then there is the incredable. Most will not pay the price.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Cigar Meeting

Maybe we co do a cigar dinner - with so many aficionados?

After all, the best cigars are those we share :)

Maybe you could do an invite via PM. Or ask the mods if a generic invite is not against the TOS. People could wear a paper "DR1" as a name badge, so you would know in advance. Maybe select a place such as the one that DavidZ mentioned -- Cameroon Cigar Bar and Lounge -- since they already have a weekly public event on Wednesdays, "Tarde de Cigarros," that way, if not one shows up from the forums, you can still enjoy and, if they do, great. Yes, if you want to find "gold," find an excellent budget cigar with zero construction issues and above average character. The one I have found, a maduro robusto, first post, is $RD 150. It's going to be my regular smoke.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

I've heard of JR. I've been buying from Cigar International. I buy either La Gloria Cubana corona gora toro maduro @ 25 for $100.00 or robusto Wavells @ 25 for $85.00.

You mentioned the Liga Privada 9 or Undercrown. Are you saying these are Drew Estates cigars? I haven't hear of
Drew Estates. What's the availability?

CigarBid is the online auction site for CigarsInternational (and Cigar.com). If you like LGC, which is one of my favorite big-name brands...you should check out EPC cigars...by Ernesto Carillo, the originator of LGC in Miami.

I'm not a fan of any of Drew Estates infused or flavored cigars (Acid, Java, Natural Dirt, etc), but Ligas, Undercrowns, and several of his newest lines are excellent, although very pricey and sometimes hard to find...but they can be found, even on the auction sites. The company's owner Jonathan Drew is quite a character and a major name/force in the industry. He does great cigar tours called "Cigar Safari" at his place in Nicaragua.

I'd be up for a cigar dinner/cocktail get-together but prefer it on the NC...perhaps at the Ocean Club in Sosua...or somewhere on the beach in Cabarete...I don't think we'll need name tags though!

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Just two day ago I had a Partagas Churchill de Luxe 2001 (discontinued since 2006)...

Yes you pay a little extra (in this case I paid RD$ 600 for the stick), but for one of the great Churchill's with that amount of age, it really is a steal.

For me, cigars are a passion, for others a pass-time. Both are fine...

However, the pass-timer should refrain from broad statements about quality and not being worth it... leave that to the aficionado crowd...

In fact I would go as far as saying, sight unseen, that the RD$ 300 stick is overpriced compared to my Partagas...

Where did you find this cigar? I have never smoked a bad Partagas in my life (Too bad when I was in Habana that the Partagas factory was closed for a one month vacation). At least I never smoked a bad one until a purchase from the shop mentioned in first post--strong suspicion that it was not authentic.

Besides being either an aficionado or dilettante I think there's an "in between." You can be an aficionado and buy expensive cigars for quality, this having nothing to do with snobbism, but maybe you cannot afford these sticks. Then, like the dilettante you find a good quality budget cigar for your regular smoke, but still maintain aficionado tastes.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Where did you find this cigar? I have never smoked a bad Partagas in my life (Too bad when I was in Habana that the Partagas factory was closed for a one month vacation). At least I never smoked a bad one until a purchase from the shop mentioned in first post--strong suspicion that it was not authentic.

Besides being either an aficionado or dilettante I think there's an "in between." You can be an aficionado and buy expensive cigars for quality, this having nothing to do with snobbism, but maybe you cannot afford these sticks. Then, like the dilettante you find a good quality budget cigar for your regular smoke, but still maintain aficionado tastes.

Lucas,

Of course you are right that it depends on how you want (or can) spend on cigars and what you prefer.

The one hing that I will say is that serious hunting can deliver results, the Partagas I paid RD$ 600 for I bought together with a few other cigars, mostly with 10 or more years on the clock. My total purchase was around RD$10K at that time.

My sources know I am always looking for good cigars and keep them apart from me.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Tamboril is DEFINETLY worth a trip!
"LT" 300 pesos for a cigar is Waaaaaaaaaaay to much to pay here!
I got my "EPS" shipment of cigars yesterday, from Cigars Int., in Pennsylvania.
It came to $106 US, there was NO TAX collected here!!!!!!
I got 71 cigars, mostly Dominican "Victor Sinclair's".
They were all "On Special Sale".
Nothing "Top Shelf" , but all very enjoyable, and smokeable, at least for me!
I've enjoyed 4 SO FAR today!

"Apart FOR You"!!!!!!!!!
AND, I can verify the "MD" has some of the finest "Cubans" I have EVER had the pleasure to enjoy!
AND, not just because he is such a great guest!
Which he IS!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Location And

I'm not a fan of any of Drew Estates infused or flavored cigars.

I'd be up for a cigar dinner/cocktail get-together but prefer it on the NC...perhaps at the Ocean Club in Sosua...or somewhere on the beach in Cabarete...I don't think we'll need name tags though!

Drew Estates are flavored?? No wonder why I've never heard of them! Count me out!

I'm glad you enjoy LGC. I have never experienced a better construction. I can let the cigar sit for five minutes, one draw, and no re-light! The quality of the tobacco is not the best I've had but it's good and it's commensurate with the price.

Damn! You're on the other side of the country!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Regarding the cigar dinner we could look at a more central place. Maybe Camp David, or just maybe we could shoot for chateau Fuente?

Oh and Drew cigars might be painted sometimes. A friend of mine found that a large part of his stock was several shades lighter after he had a water accident inhis walkin humi :(

Part of the sweet taste was also gone

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Cigarsare comprised of 3 parts.
The "Filler" which is most of the cigar, is the bunch of leaves rolled in the center of the cigar.
The "Binder" is the few leaves used to hold the "Filler".
The "Wrapper" is the outside leaves used to hold the whole thing together.The "Wrapper" is the "Flawless" best looking leaves. the other leaves don't have to be "Pretty"

The wrappers most in demand come from Connecticut in the good old U.S.of A.
Leastways that is what a so-called expert told me.

Not to be exhibiting any sort of snobbery or anything but I would definitely avoid entering into any business deals for cigars, or anything else for that matter, from the wandering salespeople on the beach in Bavaro.
Throughout the D.R. and more particularily in the East the business of cigars can be (and usually is) a huge rip-off.
I think CCCCCC has the right approach....Purchase on-line for a decent product.
It might seem silly but it sounds painless and you just never know.
I worked in the tourism business for many years in the D.R......oh.....the stories.

CCCCC......4 in one day???!!!
As a good friend of mine used to say when he would light up his first of the day....
"Ahhhhh......It's the most wonderful time of the day."

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Drew Estates are flavored?? No wonder why I've never heard of them! Count me out!

I'm glad you enjoy LGC. I have never experienced a better construction. I can let the cigar sit for five minutes, one draw, and no re-light! The quality of the tobacco is not the best I've had but it's good and it's commensurate with the price.

Damn! You're on the other side of the country!

The original Drew Estates I mentioned are flavored, the Ligas, Undercrowns, Herrera Esteli, and most of the new ones are not...and many are very good, although if there is some trickery in coloring or flavoring it wouldn't surprise me...There are probably enough cigar enthusiasts on DR1 to accommodate a get together in SD, Santiago, and the North Coast...they all certainly have some great locations to enjoy a cigar or three with friends!

Apr 10, 2014
You are not the first to recommend Tamboril. From your experience there, would you say that there are sufficient cigar promotonal boutiques there to justify a special cigar trip? I can Google following but, in general, stay in Santiago and use public transport to Tamboril or stay in Tamboril?

I also bring my cigars IN, FROM the D.R. A great irony. However, now that I've found a very nice budget cigar for $RD 150 (see first post), I'm buying here. When you find something good, consider yourself lucky, and grab it until something better comes along . . .

What I always do is spend two nights at Camp David and take a short ride to La Aurora cigar factory. The facility is spotless and and what you learn from the tour makes you appreciate the making of a cigar from seed to finished product.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As far as "Wrappers" go ,"Connecticut Shade Grown" is prized by some, but nor so much by me.
I like a DARK Maduro wrapper, Ecuador, Brazil, and Cameroon come to mind.
I already had my "First Of The Day" with a cup of freshly ground "Olivo Family Blend" beans.
Now, it's on the #2!
Some of the cigars I bought wre a "Grab Bag" of Dominican cigars. You don't know what you'll be getting, but I like "Surprises"!!!!
I have smoked about 3 or 4 of them so far, and I'm happy with all of them. It gives me a chance to sample many new brands before I but a "Box", or "Bundle"!
"Good Smoking" !!!!!!!!!!
"Papi Gordo"
aka,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
As far as "Wrappers" go ,"Connecticut Shade Grown" is prized by some, but nor so much by me.
I like a DARK Maduro wrapper, Ecuador, Brazil, and Cameroon come to mind.
I already had my "First Of The Day" with a cup of freshly ground "Olivo Family Blend" beans.
Now, it's on the #2!
Some of the cigars I bought wre a "Grab Bag" of Dominican cigars. You don't know what you'll be getting, but I like "Surprises"!!!!
I have smoked about 3 or 4 of them so far, and I'm happy with all of them. It gives me a chance to sample many new brands before I but a "Box", or "Bundle"!
"Good Smoking" !!!!!!!!!!
"Papi Gordo"
aka,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You keep smoking those cigars CC! I love the look on your face when you finally smoke something decent again :)

But remember to stock up on the Olivo coffee to trade for the real stuff come December!

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
hermanos cueves in villa gonzalez make very good cigars "black pearl , vuelto abajo " and you can buy them here .

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I MUST agree with "MD", "Vuelta Abajo" is named not correctly,......it should be "Vuelta "MUY" Abajo"!
I do think that "Black Pearl" makes some good cigars.
Highly rated by "Cigar Aficionado" and at a very modest price point!
I smoke ALL their cigars, have for years.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Just finished a "Victor Sinclair",...."55 Cameron".
5 country blend, aged for 5 years, Cameron wrapper,hence the "55 Cameron" name.

I LOVE this THREAD!!!!!!!!!
I can envision sitting on the terrace at "Camp David" at night, after a nice meal, sipping a "Nice Portugese Oporto" looking down on the lights of Santiago below!!!!
Could be a great spot for our "Cigar Dinner"!!!!!! :smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:
"MD" brings the Cuban "Puros", I bring the Dominican "Cueros"!!!!!!