Taxes on shipments under $200 US

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Looks like it's here for some of us in mid-August; got this email from JetPack today:
"Estimados Clientes:

A trav?s de la presente les queremos informar que en el d?a de ayer 29 de julio del 2014, la Direcci?n General de Aduanas en las personas del Ing. Gregorio Lora, el Lic. Gavino Polanco y el encargado de la Direcci?n de inform?tica, le informaron a nuestra directiva que a partir del pr?ximo 15 de agosto del a?o en curso, se implementar? el cobro de impuesto a paquetes cuyo valor sea menor de US$200.00 (Doscientos d?lares con 00/100).

Recordamos lo que expres? el Excelent?simo Sr. Presidente de la Rep?blica, Lic. Danilo Medina en su comunicaci?n cuando el Congreso quiso hacer dicho cobro, en virtud de la aprobaci?n de la Ley de Reforma Fiscal del a?o 2012:

"Esto vulnera un derecho adquirido por la poblaci?n Dominicana".

Entendemos que esta medida perjudicar?a grandemente a los consumidores y provocar?a enormes retrasos en los despachos de mercanc?as, violando as?, el tratado de libre comercio, DR-CAFTA.

Apreciado cliente no te quedes con los brazos cruzados levanta tu voz y protesta!!!

Para autorizaci?n retiro de paquetes:
autorizaciones@jetpack.com.do

Puede solicitar el env?o de su paquete en la zona metropolitana
a nuestro departamento de Servicio al Cliente o al email"

What it doesn't say is what the tax will be. I need to hit Amazon and clear my basket quickly and order what I'm gonna order.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
It never fails that the people who run this country seem to be ruining it the most.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Looks like the big money store owners got to someone. Well for me I will just carry more stuff in with me instead of shipping here. Plenty of mules around also.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well well well. there is a possibility that danilo will back off from this decision like he did with marbete, to show that he listens to the people. you never know here. one thing for sure, dominican shops will get no business from me anyways and we will keep on shipping with EPS. maybe we will start bringing more barrels.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Plaza Lama, the biggest thieves in the DR are the key instigators for this. Here is a store that about 9 years ago was caught scamming the Government on Itbis. They also sell refurbished goods as new. NEVER buy electronics there, or anything else after this crap passed.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Same here. NO business from me. Sea lo que sea....

well well well. there is a possibility that danilo will back off from this decision like he did with marbete, to show that he listens to the people. you never know here. one thing for sure, dominican shops will get no business from me anyways and we will keep on shipping with EPS. maybe we will start bringing more barrels.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Uff, New tax, new restrictive immigration residencia law, no luz, water problems, chiky virus, i could go on. Unless you are sort of stuck here because of family or real estate investments why stay? Sorry to say this country has become less attractive as a retirement destination spot for foreigners.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Uff, New tax, new restrictive immigration residencia law, no luz, water problems, chiky virus, i could go on. Unless you are sort of stuck here because of family or real estate investments why stay? Sorry to say this country has become less attractive as a retirement destination spot for foreigners.

i know. DR be f**king with foreigners. already you need to cover the basics yourself: well for water, generator for power, guns for security, private health insurance. now they made getting residency more of a mess and they keep on slapping us in the face with a rotten mero of taxes and additional charges.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i know. DR be f**king with foreigners. already you need to cover the basics yourself: well for water, generator for power, guns for security, private health insurance. now they made getting residency more of a mess and they keep on slapping us in the face with a rotten mero of taxes and additional charges.

I know plenty of Dominicans who ship stuff into DR that they purchase on the internet - I'm sure they're not thrilled either.

A lot can happen between now and August 15th.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
The troubling thing I see about this is what are items going to be taxed at? Will a $20 printer cartridge be taxed at 100% making it $40? The current system has no checks or balances, there is no rhyme or reason.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
If I am reading the translation right, JetPack is suggesting that we have packages returned that are subject to being taxed. I get the civil disobedience angle, but that impacts us more than the RD government, as they won't see a dip in revenues, just the same level of non-revenue from shipments.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This could put some of these shippers out of business completely. Most of their business is under $200 shipments.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Looks like it's here for some of us in mid-August; got this email from JetPack today:
"Estimados Clientes:

A trav?s de la presente les queremos informar que en el d?a de ayer 29 de julio del 2014, la Direcci?n General de Aduanas en las personas del Ing. Gregorio Lora, el Lic. Gavino Polanco y el encargado de la Direcci?n de inform?tica, le informaron a nuestra directiva que a partir del pr?ximo 15 de agosto del a?o en curso, se implementar? el cobro de impuesto a paquetes cuyo valor sea menor de US$200.00 (Doscientos d?lares con 00/100).

Recordamos lo que expres? el Excelent?simo Sr. Presidente de la Rep?blica, Lic. Danilo Medina en su comunicaci?n cuando el Congreso quiso hacer dicho cobro, en virtud de la aprobaci?n de la Ley de Reforma Fiscal del a?o 2012:

"Esto vulnera un derecho adquirido por la poblaci?n Dominicana".

Entendemos que esta medida perjudicar?a grandemente a los consumidores y provocar?a enormes retrasos en los despachos de mercanc?as, violando as?, el tratado de libre comercio, DR-CAFTA.

Apreciado cliente no te quedes con los brazos cruzados levanta tu voz y protesta!!!

Para autorizaci?n retiro de paquetes:
autorizaciones@jetpack.com.do

Puede solicitar el env?o de su paquete en la zona metropolitana
a nuestro departamento de Servicio al Cliente o al email"

What it doesn't say is what the tax will be. I need to hit Amazon and clear my basket quickly and order what I'm gonna order.

The head man of the aduana was the one who instigated this last time. He has always been in favor of taxing these purchases. I'll be very surprised if it doesn't get killed like it did last time. If it was in violation of a trade agreement then, it still is.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Can you make this a Sticky so that as new information becomes available we don't have to search for it or make numerous threads on the same topic? I always send boxes to myself ahead of my return - sometimes weighing 50 lbs and valued at under $200 so I am very interested to know the outcome mid-August. Thx.

Feb 7, 2007
I think they want to charge 18% ITBIS (as they do when you bring in e.g. a US$2,000 computer, no excise/customs duty, but ITBIS is levied). Can you imagine how much more expensive this will get? I think couriers currently charge something like 200-500 pesos for customs clearance. Can you imagine you get a 1000 pesos item off ebay and pay 180 pesos of tax, plus 500 pesos handling?
And not only more expensive, it will be slooow. Right now, items that need to be customs processed can be delayed u to a week by the couriers. Can you imagine if they have to customs clear all items, with the paperwork, etc? It will be the end of online shopping in the DR as we know it.