want to help our haitian worker establish residency in this country

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Our worker has been in this country for 5 years. He has his original birth certificate and his residence card from Haiti. We would like to help him establish a legal presence in the DR. As Canadians we had to go through an expensive and lengthy process,--is it the same for Haitians?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The process will be more lengthy and costlier.. There is an incredible amount of pressure on the government to make it nearly impossible for haitians to become legal in the DR. It is probably the worst possible time to undertake something of this magnitude.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The process will be more lengthy and costlier.. There is an incredible amount of pressure on the government to make it nearly impossible for haitians to become legal in the DR. It is probably the worst possible time to undertake something of this magnitude.

Im not agree with you, why you say nearly impoossible, where are you from? can you tell me how easy is for an ilegal to be legal in your country? can you tell me how much can cost for those ilegals to become legal residents of your country $$$$?

If we start telling that the process is for free, its been paid by all Dominicans and dont cost any money to become legal resident of the Dominican Republic with this new plan while for Dominicans descendant living in other countries have to pay 500.00 US dollars to get Dominican Papers, and Haitian goverment is making bussines with the process charging money to all haitians that needs Haitian Documents to apply for the Regularitation Plan in Dominican Republic, So excuse me but dont speak bull****.

Pularvik, If he has Id documents as haitian, part of the things he needs is a labor contract from you, so that way they can get a residence card that allow him to work here in the Dominican Republic. He can go and apply, they give the oportunity to complete the file if they are missing some papers.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
As said by Riva_31, this is the best time for your employee to become legal, taking advantage of the fast track facilities and that Dominican taxpayers are picking up the bills for the legalisation.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
whenever I see "I want to help" my immediate thought is, uh, oh, look out here it comes. For myself I have a business card that reads in large letters, NO MORE MR. NICE GUY, so I remember.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I live in Santiago, all I know is I have Dominican born haitian friends who have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours of time trying to become legal and getting huge run arounds.. On paper it seems easy but as soon as Jean Pierre walks through the office it suddenly becomes the most complicated process known to man.. Good luck tho, if you truly believe this is going to be cut and dry give Guzman Ariza a call and see if they want to take it on.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Our worker has been in this country for 5 years. He has his original birth certificate and his residence card from Haiti. We would like to help him establish a legal presence in the DR. As Canadians we had to go through an expensive and lengthy process,--is it the same for Haitians?

If you really want to help him, the best is to try to sponsor him to go to Canada. He would have a better life there.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my friend did it.... drove him the SD office we all go to...
he gave his papers and was done like we were

same game

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

With the new initiation of immigration laws for foreigners living undocumented in the DR in some respects it has made it easier but I am not sure if it is less expensive. The way I understand it is that with his birth certificate and residence card he has some of the necessary documents. He may also need proof of employment and health. I would take him to one of the new immigration offices co-ordinating this and find out exactly what he needs. He is ahead of the curve with the current documents he has. I believe once he applies for residency he will receive a very temporary status and still needs to apply for residency as any foreigner, gringo, etc. has to. I believe he still needs to use an attorney to go through the whole process. So it will be costly. The DR and the Haitian gov are not making it easy. Perhaps you could financially assist, if you were so inclined, and take a small amount out of his paycheck to compensate you. The DR wants you to believe they are trying to do the right thing but it is certainly not any easier with the new laws. The only benefit is that once your Haitian citizen starts the process he will have about 18 months to complete this. Buenos Suarte.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
For those who have the time, I do not think a lawyer will be necessary in this process. It would be interesting for you to follow through and report back here.

jefe de la finca

Sep 28, 2012

How's your Spanish? This link will provide lots of information to help you and your worker with "De Regularizcion De Extranjeros" We are doing what we can for our Haitian workers.

Ministerio de Interior y Polic?a

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Could someone find the thread where we discussed all this? I have been searching for it for a couple of days.. I think it was new rules for foreigners or something.. but it went on for a lot of pages. I did a long translation into English of ALL the requirements for Haitians and there were many pages of info///

moderators? AE? Bronzeallspice? anyone?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
OK here is the work that I did in translating the requirements http://dr1.com/forums/government/139285-new-decree-all-foreigners-31.html#post1430744 NOTE I am not a lawyer or a professional translator. But I am a journalist and this is my best effort and should help the OP along in what papers are needed for his Haitian workers.

I am Still intending to do this story.the Chinkingunya has laid me up for a while. I am not completely sure exactly where to go for this, I think the ministeria de policia? or there was another place as well, called Huacal? or something that meant a crate for empty bottles? That is in SD. I think that there are also other places in the country which are mentioned on the Police pages which i will not post unless the OP comes back with more questions.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Note I believe that you DO have to bring photographs, I will check this and get back to the thread when I have the info.

This Amnesty is not at all like other times when Haitians tried to get papers.. this is an amnesty with a short window of time. It will close in either Feb or May .. depending on who is counting .. but it will not be open for very long.

So if you have Haitian workers, or know of Haitians that you would like to help stay here legally, NOW is the time to help them.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Note also.. LT Steve is WRONG about this .. this process is FREE for the Dominican Republic costs. There are costs on the Haitian side to get birth certificates if the person does not have any papers. An expired passport from Haiti should be sufficient identification.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
from the OP

Many thanks for all this info. Its going to be a stretch to qualify my Haitian worker who basically lives quietly in a shack and sends all his income back to Haiti. As we proceed I will update this thread.