Security cameras

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
We just had a set of 4 installed. Make sure to ask about extra costs like installation and materials. Ours were 23,500RD and we were told it included everything - except he may need to buy a cable - cost negliable. I was surprised when my final bill was 26,500 - 3000 extra for materials. Make sure to ask so that you don't get a surprise. Also if you have a computer it is cheaper just to install the monitoring program there than to buy a monitor.

Sorry, I am just curious, what is the point to live in a place where you need to turn your house into a private prison and live behind bars and barbed wire?

To not get killed and be able to
Leave your house and not worry about it being empty when you return.
Come to my house, I doubt you will feel like you are in a prison!

The tall walls are also to have some friggin privacy which there is so little of in this Country! They still get up on my neighbors wall to look over!
I think people here who don't do everything possible to prevent break ins are total idiots! You should do this wherever you live!

Last edited:

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
I live in an isolated part of Costambar on the North Coast. Motion activated alarm won't do any good as there are nobody to call someone. Construction is starting around me with more people coming and going. A lot of workers come by my house morning and night on their way to and from work as they take a short cut via the back road.

I forgot to mention that I am installing motion activated spotlights outside. That will only startle people the first couple of times but we will spread the rumour that they are attached to hidden cameras.

Before the rolls of barbed wire someone scaled the 6' fence at the back and forced open the patio door. The bars on the door stopped him from coming in. Then either the same person or another one took a hammer to the handle on the front door. It was a tough handle or a weak hammer! but there was also bars on the door so he could not swing the hammer well.

I like the idea of wireless camera. Specific brands?

Yes, I am thinking about a big bad dog, well trained. What about security companies? Hiring a watchman when we go away for a few days? any recommendation on those?

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
To not get killed and be able to
Leave your house and not worry about it being empty when you return.
Come to my house, I doubt you will feel like you are in a prison!

The tall walls are also to have some friggin privacy which there is so little of in this Country! They still get up on my neighbors wall to look over!
I think people here who don't do everything possible to prevent break ins are total idiots! You should do this wherever you live!

for some reason the "like"buttons have disappeared but only on your post Harley. I like your post!

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have a set of the D link cloud cameras. They are so easy to use! They connect wirelessly to your router then connect to D links own server. If you have a smartphone or tablet (I have iPhone and iPad) and the 3G service is good enough to be to be able to monitor my house whenever I am out from the Dlink app in the app store. Or on any computer with internet access.

You can also get the D link DVR which records onto a hard drive, which I also have.

https://www.mydlink.com/content/productfamily#48tabM99

As well as dogs, high fences, alarms and guns, it all adds to home security which needs to be taken seriously in this country.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I use wireless belkin cameras with motion notification and audio. Cheap at between 70 and 100.

Wireless penetration of concrete can be solved with range extenders and that would serve all devices you have.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Useless Gadgets

To not get killed and be able to Leave your house and not worry about it being empty when you return.

All those electronic gadgets won't avoid a break-in.

The police could not care less about your cameras' footage and alarms going off just means they have a lot of time until PN shows up.

Watchmen are known to sell information gathered about you to criminals or are even members of the gang.

Bars on doors and windows delay a determined burglar not more than a few minutes.

Nowadays, the only way your house has sufficient protection is not to leave it without somebody around (a family member with a pumpgun or very trustful workers).

Dogs help, but can be poisened. When they are, expect bad things to happen in the following days...

donP

Don I have cameras so I can watch my property at night when I am in bed and when I am
Out. I don't have them so the police can help out later. The more deterrents the better. Our place is so annoying to break into people would just move on to all the other houses around with little to no actually security except for a watchman. (Which I would never trust).

Also our barrio peeps don't let in anyone they don't know if the peeps don't listen the cops come.

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
how much information does amazon or ebay give you Bred other than product information?.Brickhouse security has alot of info on different types of systems,what is best for different locations..not just cameras,but alarms, motion, access control. Just trying to give some info to the person,,so please keep your stupid comments to yourself
thank you and have a nice day

Same stuff as on Amazon or eBay, but more expensive.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
... I have cameras so I can watch my property at night when I am in bed and when I am Out. ...

And your wife doesn't object to being on video 24/7? :cheeky: lol

I have basically the same thing (Cameras on the house and Property) with multi-camera monitors, but also with motion sensors that "beep and flash a red LED" in the bedroom and living room to indicate someone is around the perimeter of the house. Plus all doors and windows activates a beeper and flashing red LED inside the house if any are opened (Day or Night). The flashing red LED stays lit for a pre-set time limit.

Dual Technology Motion Sensors require both the PIR (passive infra-red) and the Microwave to activate simultaneously for the sensor to alarm, which can lead to no detection of an intruder. PIR (passive infra-red) sensors can easily be bypassed. I prefer the single technology of Doppler Microwave motion sensors. Admittedly you get more false alarms but I prefer that to "no alarm" when there is an intruder.

Plus how often have you seen the normal outdoor light motion sensors activating with no one around?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I live in an isolated part of Costambar on the North Coast. Motion activated alarm won't do any good as there are nobody to call someone.(...)
Yes, I am thinking about a big bad dog, well trained. What about security companies? Hiring a watchman when we go away for a few days? any recommendation on those?

sorry, i thought you had a solid wall (cement blocks). indeed, with just a fence a motion sensor will not work for you. i suggest you consider an upgrade to blocks, if not for security then for privacy. if people can see into your property they will know what you have and where is it located. and if you get large dogs they may bark at people and animals walking outside if only fenced.

you can ask for a number of costambar security at the gate and they will come if you call them (providing you are paying the fees). it will take them minutes. there is a security company that comes when alerted but they are located in plaza turisol so they'd take 15-25 minutes to arrive.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
sorry, i thought you had a solid wall (cement blocks).

I have 5' high of blocks with 4' of chain link fence on top of that so that makes it 9' high actually. I am a bit higher than the street level so people have to make a real effort to see into the property. My kitty corner neighbour in construction can see everything from his 2nd floor windows and a solid 6' fence of blocks would not help that.

Yes I pay my dues at APC and security comes rapidly when I call. The problem is when we go out... nobody in the house except the dog and the alarms. That is why I thought cameras would be useful. Some of the bad guys are known, just need some proof sometimes.

I was asking for recommendation on a company that would come and watch the house when we are away. I thought that maybe a company would be more honest than a lone watchman. I am thinking I am foolish to think that as I type it ! LOL

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Product Information

how much information does amazon or ebay give you (...) other than product information?

Amazon: customer reviews (of a product), often very detailed and alternative product mentioned
Ebay: feedback on the seller often also reveals product quality

It helps to read those customers' opinions when buying any product.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My kitty corner neighbour in construction can see everything from his 2nd floor windows and a solid 6' fence of blocks would not help that.

yeah, but the motion censor would not pick this up, unless he sticks his head right above the wall.

when we leave we have someone stay in the house at night. i guess you could slip the security 500 pesos for passing your house on regular basis to check the situation. have them call a person of trust if anything happens. and yeah, there will be folks here saying "ha ha, then the security will rob you, ha ha, they are the worst thieves" but i think costambar security is ok. i have no complains. it's a safe area to live. occasionally we have cases of some small stuff snatched from the garden but nothing as bad as many areas of POP.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
sorry, i thought you had a solid wall (cement blocks).

I have 5' high of blocks with 4' of chain link fence on top of that so that makes it 9' high actually. I am a bit higher than the street level so people have to make a real effort to see into the property. My kitty corner neighbour in construction can see everything from his 2nd floor windows and a solid 6' fence of blocks would not help that.

Yes I pay my dues at APC and security comes rapidly when I call. The problem is when we go out... nobody in the house except the dog and the alarms. That is why I thought cameras would be useful. Some of the bad guys are known, just need some proof sometimes.

I was asking for recommendation on a company that would come and watch the house when we are away. I thought that maybe a company would be more honest than a lone watchman. I am thinking I am foolish to think that as I type it ! LOL

When u go out for the day ? Or when u leave the dr ??

If its just for the day, keep them guessing....... if they cant see in, they dont know if u are out or not....... ( unless they are keeping tabs,on u..... and security wont help much if they are thst determined..).

I am happy with a 2 and a half / 3m wall, on the inside, higher at places on the outside. Of course they could climb over, even with glass and barbed wire on the top....... but if they dont know what is waiting on the other side, they might think twice......
I scared a couple of curious locals at the beginning ( before I walled next doors windows in :D ). A rocking chair, mug of joe, amaretto on ice, my dogs and a shotgun....... they dont peek twice.:classic:

I was thinking of cameras ( but amazon fell through by asking if I had stolen my CC.....).
In the end. If u are in the house, dogs are the best alarm.
If u are not in the house, what are u going to do ?? Watch ure dogs get slaughtered ??
No security company out my way...... and I would trust them as far as I could throw them...... or a bit less even.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
how much information does amazon or ebay give you Bred other than product information?.Brickhouse security has alot of info on different types of systems,what is best for different locations..not just cameras,but alarms, motion, access control. Just trying to give some info to the person,,so please keep your stupid comments to yourself
thank you and have a nice day

I know how to read. Do you?

BrickHouse Security Reviews - BrickHouseSecurity.com Ratings at ResellerRatings