New DR tax policy on baggage fees

Jan 9, 2004
FYI:

Checking on my reservation with Jetblue, I came across a "new baggage policy" on the website.

I had anticipated that Jetblue would soon begin charging for the first bag too, but expected that announcement to come around Nov. 1st as Jetblue changes CEO's.

However, this new fee is not from the airline but rather the DR.

Note that if you pay a checked bag fee, you are now also subject to 18% duty imposed on that fee by the DR;

A Value Added Tax (VAT) of up to 18% is also payable on baggage fees for certain international flights. Non-US VAT based on itinerary are as follows:

Country of Originating travel VAT
Barbados 17.5% of Baggage fee
Dominican Republic 18% of Baggage fee
Costa Rica 5% of Baggage fee
Trinidad 15% of Baggage fee

I guess this is an alternative to the tax on purchases under $200.00...and it will get far less pushback...as most travelers won't notice it until they are already checking in with their bags.

And if Jetblue institutes a checked bag fee for the first one like lots of other airlines this will raise lots of revenue for the government, in addition to the already high ticket fee taxes and the tourist card fee....which I expect to be raised to $15.00 in the not to distant future.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

OntarioMike

Mar 4, 2014
Westjet and Air Canada both started charging $25.00 for the first checked bag in the last week as well.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Yep, left the DR in May. American Airlines charges $25.00 for the first checked bag. We were told and charge $30.00 for the first checked bag at the check in counter. I told them American Airlines said $25.00 dollars. She said this is a tax charged by the DR. I said ok but why doesn't American Airlines reveal that on their web site. Oh now she doesn't speak English. @#$@#$#$^$%^&*%^*%* pay it and get going. Man oh man. Getting so tired of this treatment. Don't they get it. People will not continue to take this. Short term thinking.

Mountaintrout

Feb 9, 2013
"personal item" on Spirit Airlines is a Briefcase or a Woman's Purse...checked it on their website

16"x14"x12". With compression sacks I can bring enough clothes for 6 days. I have a 4 day trip coming up and I am bringing my travel snorkel fins, snorkel and mask.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
I watched an interesting interview with the new PM of India yesterday. During the interview he pointed out what, to me anyway, is obvious, "over regulation strangles growth." I think the same can be said about taxation. Applying the tax to the $200 items, and now possibly luggage fees, is an attempt to cure the symptom, not the problem. The reason everyone buys and imports in quantities of <$200 is because the general tax environment is crushing. At some point, you can raise taxes and your revenue will decline.

Jan 9, 2004
Can one ware it on the plane to save on bag fees?

Thanks for the laugh. More than one way to beat the bag fee.

Frees up more space in that huge carry-on allowance Spirit gives.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yet more damage will be done, especially to the north coast, because of higher travel costs.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Sounds like I need to continue paying to upgrade to 1st /business class, where the first 2 bags are "free" on most airlines.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how about anew catchy phrase to attract more tourism? welcome to DR: we'll f**k you up before you even land.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Checking on the JetBlue website the "first checked bag" is free. I would suppose that the new 18% tax mentioned would then only apply to a second bag.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Checking on the JetBlue website the "first checked bag" is free. I would suppose that the new 18% tax mentioned would then only apply to a second bag.

That is correct. I recently traveled with them. No charge for one bag.

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Guess the word hasn't made it to the ticket counters yet because my wife flew down Saturday from Orlando on Jetblue with a second bag and it was just the $50.00 fee unless they collect the tax at the airport in DR.