Policia Nacional - legalized thugs

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It is late at night, I am restless so I decide to take a walk to the little food spot that is open 24 hours. I am walking down independencia and a PN pickup pulls up and ask for ID, pat me down the whole 9. I don't as much as have beer on my breath. Next they tell me to get in the back seat. I explain I am simply taking a walk to the store.

So they drive me to the store and on the way there they outright ask for a propina and I play stupid. I go in the store and one of the PN follows me in. Next thing I know he picks out about 150 pesos worth of snacks and motions to the guy behind the counter to put it on my tab. Now what am I supposed to do besides pay it. I am fuming buy I know they would blow me away in a heartbeat. So the best I could do was tell them to drive me back to my apartment and chalk it up as taxi fare.

This is the main reason I try not to be out on the street after 10pm unless in a taxi.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
It is late at night, I am restless so I decide to take a walk to the little food spot that is open 24 hours. I am walking down independencia and a PN pickup pulls up and ask for ID, pat me down the whole 9. I don't as much as have beer on my breath. Next they tell me to get in the back seat. I explain I am simply taking a walk to the store.

So they drive me to the store and on the way there they outright ask for a propina and I play stupid. I go in the store and one of the PN follows me in. Next thing I know he picks out about 150 pesos worth of snacks and motions to the guy behind the counter to put it on my tab. Now what am I supposed to do besides pay it. I am fuming buy I know they would blow me away in a heartbeat. So the best I could do was tell them to drive me back to my apartment and chalk it up as taxi fare.

This is the main reason I try not to be out on the street after 10pm unless in a taxi.

It is 4 pm in the afternoon, I am in Holland. I'm driving my rental car, my phone rings; it is my mother whom i have not seen for a year, I decided to pick up the phone and quickly tell her that i am on my way, after all I am waiting in line at the red traffic light; then all of a sudden, a policeman on a bike shows up, and fines me the equivalent of US$ 200,- for using the phone...

gotta see things in perspective man; gotta pay some one way or the other

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

I've been talking about this rising issue in the capital since a big increase over the last 18month/2year. And it does not need to be after dark, they've spun up on me two's up on a moto while I've been standing on a ZC street corner on the phone, patting me down, asking which drugs I do, looking in my wallet, and waiting, just waiting and looking at me for some reaction. As if I should know to offer them a bribe for not giving me sh1t.
I refused on Autopiste San Isidro about a year ago, and they put me inbetween them on the bike and hauled me off to the little station n the Autopiste. They were arresting me for refusal to give them money. Didn't lock me up, but kept me sitting there outside the Capitans office for about 30 minutes until I figured this was a waiting game and so I called my next door neghbour a retired Colonel to come and sort this out. Which he did, but not after the Capitan still asked me for something for wasting his time, lol. And Hector (Colonel) just kept acting as if there was nothing wrong, or this is the norm. Kind of when I began to think that the downhill gradient of living in DR was getting steeper. My neighbours reaction did it for me, not only my neighbour but friend, we have kids who went to school together, play tgether after school, we went weekly shopping together, whole families and kids, all that stuff. You could say we were good friends, but him not flinching at what was going on, nor comment that it was out of order spoke volumes to me.
They have never been what we know as a Police force, they are more of a threat when walking the streets than anything else. I just don't walk anywhere in the Capital anymore, people might not believe this but my experience shows that if I am walking down the street alone and PN see me, then I stand a 50/50 chance of being stopped and searched, harassed.

Countless experiences with the clowns over the years, but now I am intimidated by the sight of them, I physically try to avoid them around the city where there are not crowds. If there was only me and PN on a quiet road in the city and I was on foot then I would turn around and walk the other way. It's a joke now, ruthless, more so than ever!!!

I'm not worried about them outright mugging me, or harming me, but they can and will ruin my day, and so it is easier to turn the other way. People will say, that is no way to live, and I agree, it is becoming more and more difficult to be an average joe and just go about your business. People might say I we must be doing something to draw attention, well, no walking down the street being foreign is not really looking for trouble.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It is 4 pm in the afternoon, I am in Holland. I'm driving my rental car, my phone rings; it is my mother whom i have not seen for a year, I decided to pick up the phone and quickly tell her that i am on my way, after all I am waiting in line at the red traffic light; then all of a sudden, a policeman on a bike shows up, and fines me the equivalent of US$ 200,- for using the phone...

I don't see it that way, you did something wrong I did nothing wrong whatsoever.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

You are comparing apples to oranges. If it is against the law to use the cell phone in the car don't do it or pay the fine. That has NOTHING in common with the example of the thread.
Having said that I don't see PN blowing anyone away for not paying a tab for some colmado items.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The NP do this to Dominicans and Haitians living in the ZC and of course in other areas also . You can get stopped in the street and in your car and the first thing to do is to try to find out if they are genuinely police , But ,I have found it increasingly rarer over the past three years ,but hwen it does happen I just give them 100 pesos or so . Go with the flow

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Absolutely irrelevant to the original post. You broke the law.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I say get the **** out of dodge!!!!!!!

Damn, 150 pesos worth of goodies because they felt like it. **** them!!!!!!!!!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Nothing if no one complains. Even then, it's your word against theirs. Shrug and take the path that is most advantageous to you at the time. Want to spend the night detained for your principles?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I say get the **** out of dodge!!!!!!!

Damn, 150 pesos worth of goodies because they felt like it. **** them!!!!!!!!!
When I told them to take me back to my apartment they had the nerve to sit in the front seat of the pickup smacking down on a bag of chips and didn't even think to offer me some.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
What if anything is being done to stop this practice?

You speak as if this is a minority, a few bad pennies, higher ranks expect better, when the practice starts at the top and works it way down. It is expected, and not at all frowned upon, infact probably encouraged and so there is no stopping it. It is what it is, live along side it or get out are the options and my child is more important than pesos.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You speak as if this is a minority, a few bad pennies, higher ranks expect better, when the practice starts at the top and works it way down. It is expected, and not at all frowned upon, infact probably encouraged and so there is no stopping it. It is what it is, live along side it or get out are the options and my child is more important than pesos.

Hug what I don't get is this seems to only be the PN doing this. I got pulled over a half dozen times by AMET and never once did they seem to have their hand out, same thing with Tourist Police never seen them looking for a hand out. But the PN comes right out and ask for a propina. I had a PN flag me down while driving. I pulled over he asked straight out for a beer.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.......................I say a quick prayer for their service keeping me safe, and then ask them if they want a soda. They accept, and take one soda and share it. I give them 200 pesos for gasoline so they can continue to patrol my area................
I would probably do the same, but being told to get in the back of the pickup and driven around the block and straight out ask for a propina is another story. All I did was walk down the street on my way to the store.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
When I first moved to the island I fell victim to these bums one time asking me for money. Afterwards I asked one of my
Dominican friends how I should handle it if/ when it happens again. He told me to just ask them for a receipt. Works like
a charm. Problem solved.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Nothing happens if you look like a normal person and if you know how to talk to them. Only a couple of minutes of wasted time. But if you look like a drunk hippie, or a drug addict, or like Lil Wayne, you can get in trouble.

Playing stupid is not the best way to act and it's good only for tourists who don't speak Spanish and don't know anything about DR, PN, etc.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Hug what I don't get is this seems to only be the PN doing this. I got pulled over a half dozen times by AMET and never once did they seem to have their hand out, same thing with Tourist Police never seen them looking for a hand out. But the PN comes right out and ask for a propina. I had a PN flag me down while driving. I pulled over he asked straight out for a beer.

Yes, I agree. With AMET I have to offer them 100pesos to just back off and let me on my way without hold up. PN are very blatant.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I walk into my local colmado at 10 pm at night. Two policemen on patrol on a motorcycle pull up and stop. They walk inside and ask for a bottle of water, which they share between the two.

I say a quick prayer for their service keeping me safe, and then ask them if they want a soda. They accept, and take one soda and share it. I give them 200 pesos for gasoline so they can continue to patrol my area.

I also tell them I'll buy them a beer if I ever see them around again.

I know if I pulled out a gun, and tried to rob the colmado while they were there, they would probably blow me away, like they did to the two punk kids that have been assaulting homes in the area. That's what they do.

Now they act like we're friends.

It's nice to be able to buy the local patrol a drink in the colmado from time to time, and it is a good way to keep them on side, as you say. But it is nice to have to opportunity to offer without intimidation or expectation, your example and the experiences mentioned are a million miles apart.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Nothing happens if you look like a normal person and if you know how to talk to them. Only a couple of minutes of wasted time. But if you look like a drunk hippie, or a drug addict, or like Lil Wayne, you can get in trouble.

Playing stupid is not the best way to act and it's good only for tourists who don't speak Spanish and don't know anything about DR, PN, etc.

I think peoples experience and increase in this proves otherwise. And I don't think the issue is people concerned about being damaged or in real trouble. Mainly that they abuse their position and are able to spoil your day if they so feel. Believe me, I have not paid them anything far more than accepted, but it is annoying that we are watching our backs hoping not to draw attention from those who are there supposedly to protect us.