Getting Driver License In DR Is Easy

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I don't speak any Spanish and finally got my Dominican Driver license.

Apparently everyone has to take the test now as there is no more paying bribes allowed as the test is on a computer and the results go santo Domingo ( apparently )

At the drivers license bureau in POP they will take you to a training room and tell you the spanish phrases to listen for and then and yes or no on the computer screen.

For example they show a car driving down the road and there are some cows on the road and the driver honks his horn a few times and then they ask is this permissible or not....it's that easy !

First you go to the banco reserve and pay about 1710 rd and take the receipt to the License bureau and they do a quick blood test for blood type and then take the test and they issue a temporary license and then in 15 days you need to go to banco reserve and pay another $999 rd and then go back to the license bureau in 45 days to receive your DR license good for 4 years.

No need to pay an attorney $400 or anyone one of the rest of the vultures ( I paid $4000 rd ....for directions ?)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No more VIP treatment, it appears!

The one government office in the DR that is far superior to the equivalent in the US is the motor vehicles office. At least the one in Puerto Plata. I have always had a positive experience there. So if you need a license in the DR and have the proper requirements like your cedula/residency, have no fear.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i got a licence, also in POP, maybe 5 years ago. did not speak much spanish back then. passed theory without a problem. this is a cheap and swift process in comparison to hell my friends go through in poland. what is more difficult (and expensive) is to qualify for a license by getting a cedula and residency.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Last Friday I went to Santo Domingo - went to the foreign ministry and got my letter from the Canadian Embassy stating that my licence was valid stamped and legalized - 600 pesos ( pay at bank reservas before hand ) - took ten minutes , then off to the DGTT by the palace. Got copies of my Cedula, Residency, and British Columbia Drivers licence- papers reviewed ( including fee for licence - 950 pesos at bank reservas beforehand) and stamped then off for a vision check that they waived after looking at my licence, then queued at another desk to get a paper for doing blood type test, did blood test ( which if you have any kind of official id with blood type on you don't have to do) then off to get photo taken, info confirmed, photo taken, waited seven minutes and off I walked with a Dominican Drivers licence- approx. 40 minutes expired. All very easy and stress free- both offices very professional.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I picked up my permanent Driver license last week as I had to wake 30 days after being issued the temporary license and after the 30 days you pay the Baco Reserva again and then go back to the drivers license bureau again 15 days later to pick up the permanent after payment so a total of six weeks after being issued the temporary.

Sounds confusing but they give you the instructions and dates to pay the bank and dates to then pick up your permanent license.

As I said earlier I do not speak any Spanish but was able to do this myself

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
temporary DL's are good for 1 year.... you can upgrade after 45 days as I understand it

I renew in July... same thing on the dates... birthdays are expiries

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
When you go to renew its just as easy. Pay the 830 pesos at the bank and go to an office in your area. All you have to do is get an eye exam at there eye doctor, have ID, and your old license. I was done in 30 minutes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
gracias... I have no area... out in the sticks....POP for me, 2 hrs away mas/menos

I'll pay at Ban Reservas here and trot to POP...

I agree, the process is the easiest of the bunch.... maybe they should tighten up... driving might be easier---hahaha

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What is the advantage of having a dominican driver's license?

With a Dominican license you can legally drive in the DR after your out of country licenses is no longer valid to use in the DR. This is based upon the time you have been in the country. Others with updated information will have to post how long your out of country license is valid, but I think it is for the duration of your tourist card, in other words, not long.

Many visitors drive with out of country licenses that are legally not still valid to use in the DR. Many people get insurance without having a valid DR license which the insurance company would be under no obligation to honor.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Advantage #1: Not automatically being thrown in jail if you are involved in a crash.

That is if you have the proper insurance rider on your policy and pay for that rider. It is called Casa De Conductor and you are put into a room more like a hotel/motel than directly into prison while they sort things out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Besides what has already been mentioned, an advantage for me is that I have a driver's license. My US drivers license expired long ago since I have not lived in the US for 12 years and cannot have it renewed there. It is a great convenience to be able to rent a car when I am out of the country.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is necessary to obtain a DR license?
Getting a Driver?s License in the Dominican Republic

Getting a Driver?s License in the Dominican Republic.

Getting your license in the Dominican Republic is a straightforward process. Bring your cedula and a copy of the document with you to La Direccion General de Transito Terreste (DGTT), which is the equivalent of the department of motor vehicles. Make sure you have studied the driver?s manual before you take your driving exam. Next, you must pay taxes in order to receive your license:

Driver?s License: RD$455
Exam: RD$200
Medical Exam RD$40
Classification Fee: RD$75
Taxes: RD$20
Cost of Forms and Services: RD$85
Total: RD$855

At DGTT go to window # 1 and present your cedula and one copy, and pay for the driver?s license. Next, go to window #2 and present your cedula, along with the receipt of payment of taxes, and the receipt of payment for the driver?s license. Thirdly, go to window # 5 and present your cedula with the previous receipts, so that the information can be checked to make sure it?s accurate.

After that, present all previous documents to window # 6, in order to take the written exam.

If you pass the written exam you?ll be asked to take a road test. You have to wait 45 days before you can take a road test. Once you pass the road test, you can then obtain a Dominican drivers license.

Note: Driver?s tests in the Dominican Republic are done in standard vehicles, i.e. vehicles with stick shifts. You can opt to take your test in an automatic vehicle, but it will be listed as a restriction on your license. If you choose to take your test with a standard vehicle, but don?t own one, you can rent one at DGTT for RD$300.

For foreigners wishing to obtain a Dominican driver?s license there is a separate, but similar process. First, foreigners must present their valid licenses from their country of origin with a certification from the Dominican embassy or consulate offices, verifying the validity of the license. Then take this document to the department of foreign relations and legalizations (Cancilleria) and have the document legalized there. Provide photocopies of all documents, present to DGTT, and follow the steps outlined above. The taxes for foreigners are different, and are listed below.
Driver?s License: RD$455
Exam: RD$200
Medical Exam: RD$40
Classification Fee: RD$75
Taxes: RD$70
Cost of Forms and Services: RD$85
Additional Taxes: RD$20
Total: RD$925

If you are in the country legally and have not overstayed your tourist visa (15 days) you will be able to drive using your foreign license.

If you wish to get a Dominican driver?s license, be aware that the United States Embassy will NOT validate your license. If you still want a Dominican driver?s license, and your embassy doesn?t validate, you will first need a cedula before you can get a license. Assuming you have a cedula, you will have to visit the Department of Motor Vehicles and take a driving test.

Most European Embassies, however, will validate licenses. If your country?s embassy does validate your license, the Department of Motor Vehicles requires the following:

1) A valid license from a foreign country
2) Certification from the foreign country's consular or diplomatic mission in the DR stating that the foreign license is valid
3) Authentication of the certification at the Dominican Ministry of Foreign Affairs (La Cancilleria)
4) Passport, valid for at least a year from the time of the application with residency visa or work permit or cedula
5) Payment of fees for medical exam, blood test and license at Banco de Reservas.
6) Medical exam and blood test results

More resources:

Do I need a Dominican Driver's License?
Drivers Licence
Please Clarify - Cars/Insurance/Residency

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That is if you have the proper insurance rider on your policy and pay for that rider. It is called Casa De Conductor and you are put into a room more like a hotel/motel than directly into prison while they sort things out.

Windy, can you clarify that ?

it has been posted here before that the Casa de Conductor situation is only available in SD and STI..... the rest of the country doesn't accommodate this provision .