Paraiso area....places to stay

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Bahia de Las Aguilas is an absolute stunner of a beach! Just back from there today.

We shared the 2 mile plus perfect sandy beach with crystal clear blue water with 7 other people today! Drove from La Cueva........dirt road is in good nick just before you drive down from the cliff there is a parking spot and they have put in paths to viewing points from the cliffs just before the beach. Superb swimming in that perfectly clear still water with a gentle slope out from the shore line. Like being in your own massive swimming pool with the deep end feathering out to sea. One word of advice there are a few trees to hide out of the fierce sun with your cooler full of beer, but better bring a parasol.

Untouched pristine beautiful and a beach much better than anything else in DR IMO.......yes for me better than Rincon, Coson, Macao and my personal previous favorite the picturesque La Valle.

Reminds me when I first stepped on Grace Bay in Providenciales Turks and Caicos back in 1984 when that was untouched. And they now say that is the worlds #1 but beach full of hotels.

DR has a gem here and so glad that the Meija government back in 2004 never went ahead with the then planned all-inclusive.

Staying in Paraiso in lovely little 5 bed hotel, Pirates del Carib.

All the advice was useful. Roads are good and being upgraded. This is great scenic part of DR still largely untouched by tourism.

Glad you enjoyed...I hope to make it out that way again sometime in May....will drive in this time to Bahia de Aguilas instead of taking the boat. Please share the contact info for Pirates del Carib hotel.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Glad you enjoyed...I hope to make it out that way again sometime in May....will drive in this time to Bahia de Aguilas instead of taking the boat. Please share the contact info for Pirates del Carib hotel.

I booked the hotel through one of the portals.....booking.com

Definitely drive to the beach, road is good despite what the guys hawking boat rides will tell you, and park by the watching platform.

It is really hard to find such an untouched beach anywhere these days. I see the ongoing land fraud case relating to the land ownership was back in the news yesterday

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Going this April, we will be staying at Hotel Panoramica
Hotel Panoramica Barahona, Santa Cruz de Barahona, Dominican Republic - Booking.com
Make a reservation directly for "special rates" (sorry cannot say more here)
just tell them you want to make the booking directly without going through the travel portals
*I am not associated with them in any way*

Hotel Panoramica is run by Joyce and Norm Wey. It is south of Barahona. I have never stayed there but someone I know has and they thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality of the owners and exploring the area. They are in the country from November to May to run the small hotel until a pending retirement happens when they will permanently live there. They are Canadians.

Cyren

Jan 10, 2011
You can go to Fortuna if you are the inside kind of guy, in Cienaga. Love her little place and that woman is just the hearth of Cienaga. She rents at 500 p. You have a bed, a toilet and a cold shower... dont need the air because the beach is in front of you. If you ask, she cook for you and never overprize nothing to the foreigner!!! Which is very rare in DR... She always cleans the street... which is very rare too!!! hahaha

Cienaga is 5 minuts from San rafael and 15 minuts from los patos. (but those are rocky beaches)

Philippeg

Jun 30, 2012
Living now for some time in the soutwest, for accomodation, I can recommend Hotel Piratas del Caribe
were I did stay different times while I was looking for a land to buy.
Not the cheapest but very nice rooms(good beds) with seaview and fantastic food.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Living now for some time in the soutwest, for accomodation, I can recommend Hotel Piratas del Caribe
were I did stay different times while I was looking for a land to buy.
Not the cheapest but very nice rooms(good beds) with seaview and fantastic food.

I do like that place. Very relaxing.

The bar next door has better food imo.

The lap length pool is great in the morning.

I would be very interested to know land prices in the area. Such a lovely part of this country.

AlecCorday

Feb 26, 2014
kiskeya.life
We stayed in Hotel Vista Sur in Los Patos, just a few minutes from Paraiso. It's a quaint, but very new and in good shape little hotel right next to the famous Los Patos river, one of the shortest rivers in the world. We shot an episode of our web show there: Los Patos: Duck River

I don't remember what it cost, but it was surprisingly cheap. The rooms are in good shape and all have working AC (necessary down there!!!). It didn't have a restaurant, so we had to go to nearby places, but overall it was very decent, especially for the price and the location. The beach is not much of a swimming beach, with strong waves and noisy pebbles, but the river is the only place anyone would want to swim in anyway... it's so darn refreshingly cold!

In short... we want to go back! Very recommended for anyone with a desire for adventure.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
We stayed in Hotel Vista Sur in Los Patos, just a few minutes from Paraiso. It's a quaint, but very new and in good shape little hotel right next to the famous Los Patos river, one of the shortest rivers in the world. We shot an episode of our web show there: Los Patos: Duck River

I don't remember what it cost, but it was surprisingly cheap. The rooms are in good shape and all have working AC (necessary down there!!!). It didn't have a restaurant, so we had to go to nearby places, but overall it was very decent, especially for the price and the location. The beach is not much of a swimming beach, with strong waves and noisy pebbles, but the river is the only place anyone would want to swim in anyway... it's so darn refreshingly cold!

In short... we want to go back! Very recommended for anyone with a desire for adventure.

If I recall correctly, you were looking for interesting places for videos. Did you take note of the thread 'PEDERNALES: The Five Best Natural Destinations' in the South West Section. Appears there is so much to enjoy down in that part of the country and I am itching to visit again.

By the way Padre Las Casas in Azua Province may a place to get a few nice videos....there were a few places in the area which really caught my attention.

AlecCorday

Feb 26, 2014
kiskeya.life
If I recall correctly, you were looking for interesting places for videos. Did you take note of the thread 'PEDERNALES: The Five Best Natural Destinations' in the South West Section. Appears there is so much to enjoy down in that part of the country and I am itching to visit again.

By the way Padre Las Casas in Azua Province may a place to get a few nice videos....there were a few places in the area which really caught my attention.

I like that sugestion, thanks! Ill def check it out as we want to head on down there again (my brother lives in Paraiso) and shoot some more. I got one more episode about Bahia de las Aguilas (of course) and another about the Pedernales Haitian Market coming out, and then I'm out of episodes involving the south. So ill put that on my to-do list. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I like that sugestion, thanks! Ill def check it out as we want to head on down there again (my brother lives in Paraiso) and shoot some more. I got one more episode about Bahia de las Aguilas (of course) and another about the Pedernales Haitian Market coming out, and then I'm out of episodes involving the south. So ill put that on my to-do list. Thanks for the tip!

Paraiso was enjoyable for me and very laid back....not touristy in the least and a great base to explore from (Pirates del Caribe). A lot to take in for the keen eye on the real DR.

Suspect Playa San Rafael would be fun for a short video too....day trippers from the campo out to enjoy the fresh water pools from the rio with copious amounts f drinking and the odd one testing the surf emboldened by the drink.

Even the Larimar mines or rather holes in the ground nearby would be good subject for videos

Add to that the sugar business and the old rail lines around Barahona

AlecCorday

Feb 26, 2014
kiskeya.life
Paraiso was enjoyable for me and very laid back....not touristy in the least and a great base to explore from (Pirates del Caribe). A lot to take in for the keen eye on the real DR.

Suspect Playa San Rafael would be fun for a short video too....day trippers from the campo out to enjoy the fresh water pools from the rio with copious amounts f drinking and the odd one testing the surf emboldened by the drink.

Even the Larimar mines or rather holes in the ground nearby would be good subject for videos

Add to that the sugar business and the old rail lines around Barahona

Im actually writing right now an article about 5 lesser known but spectacular beaches. I like the SanRaf beach idea! Ill use it! Thnx!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Im actually writing right now an article about 5 lesser known but spectacular beaches. I like the SanRaf beach idea! Ill use it! Thnx!

You must include Playa La Valle (Samana) in your selection...wrong area...off topic...but very special,,,,San Rafael the exact opposite and sort of a very quiet Playa Najayo near San Cristobal without the surf and pebbles......fun, drunkenness and water