Looking For A Local Family to Stay With on Semana Santa

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
guys, don't ruin this thread. i will start semana santa death pool thread on the first of april. sounds a bit sarcastic, no? but alas, the 1st falls on wednsday and the party starts on thursday all the way to sunday. we'll have two categories: for dominicans and for gringos. maybe this year we should have some prizes? can't wait.

Reactions: bellakins

Brookelemongotsoul

Mar 12, 2015
You could easily do this in any small town of the Central Cordillera. Just drive into that region with your family. It could be in
towns bordering Constanza like El Rio, La Culata or towns bordering San Jose de la Mata or more towards El Sur like San Jose
de Ocoa. You could find plenty of decent, kind, religious, hard working families that would find it quite interesting to have you
as guests. They would not have the means economically to be able to pay for your expenses but it would be expected as
foreigners that you flip some of the bill.

It would be 100 times cheaper for you than staying at a resort. Some of these families live away from the towns in areas
surrounded by mountain views worth millions of dollars with cold flowing water coming down from the mountains. Space would
be no problem since in those mountainous regions space is expansively unlimited. Many of those families would be honored to have you
and your family over. I see no problem whatsoever with your plans on this. Venture into those areas. Just remember to take
winter clothing. It gets cold at night.

Onions/Carrots---thanks for your tips. Unfortunately we won't have a car until later in the week, when everyone locally will have gone home. I would absolutely love to see the areas you are talking about. They are different than the typical tourist beach town, and it would be a nice change. Maybe we will venture when we get a car. We are not staying at a resort, for this reason. We don't want the same food everyday and want to be able to see more than just Punta Cana. The cool weather would be a nice change!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Interestedly enough, about two weeks ago I stopped at the Ambulance/Fire Station in Sosua. Introduced myself as an American Paramedic. Told the guy sitting at the big desk counting the money, I wanted to see the ambulance, and possibly ride along or volunteer. He said he would be more than happy to have me over Samana Santa. Didn't ask for any credentials. The people there seemed eager to talk about their service. The ambulance was, well, pretty desolate.

It will be interesting!

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Interestedly enough, about two weeks ago I stopped at the Ambulance/Fire Station in Sosua. Introduced myself as an American Paramedic. Told the guy sitting at the big desk counting the money, I wanted to see the ambulance, and possibly ride along or volunteer. He said he would be more than happy to have me over Samana Santa. Didn't ask for any credentials. The people there seemed eager to talk about their service. The ambulance was, well, pretty desolate.

It will be interesting!

I wonder if it even had gas.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my gasoil delivery guy regularly puffs on a cig while filling me up at home (50 gallons)...

wanna be astronaut........

texting on motos... thats a beauty......

wrong way streets..... another

it all keeps you agile and sharp

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Im going to make a BINGO card with all of these things I need to look for when im in DR---car running and cigarette flaring, drunk 8 year old, sidewalk drunk driver, beach bbqer with burned pork chops.....

Keep a daily journal when you are there. It doesn't have to be long.
I did this when I first moved to SD. It is hilarious to read it now.
You could post some of yours for us to enjoy. I have a feeling you are going to have some adventures worth reading about!

Brookelemongotsoul

Mar 12, 2015
Keep a daily journal when you are there. It doesn't have to be long.
I did this when I first moved to SD. It is hilarious to read it now.
You could post some of yours for us to enjoy. I have a feeling you are going to have some adventures worth reading about!

That's an idea. Im a creative writer but prob wouldn't have to bolster anything sounds like. And likely one those on this forum would get it.......okay...keeping a journal.

I will report back with our Semana Santa familia encounters......and otherwise......we have 12 days to entertain you...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Okay okay...this may not be PC---but wouldn't it be really cool to see how others spend Easter? We will be in
Bavaro from April 3rd-13th and would love---that first weekend to experience some real traditional Semana Santa familia's celebrating.

Do they beat their wives? Maybe the wives beat the husbands? Do the kids really eat the sweet beans? Or do they feed them to the dog.....
Im kidding of course....just wanted to experience a real Dominican holiday...Im sure it is beautiful and peaceful and has lots of food involved..

Any suggestions?

If a family will adopt us, we will help cook and clean (we have our own place...we don't need to stay with you) haha...Im being serious here people......serious......I can bring some American traditions to add to the day....
(egg hiding with $$ in it for the kids and hide the cervezas for the adults.....that's what we do. Keepin it classy....

I think one of the all inclusives is offering a special buffet "last supper" menu. This is as close as you will get to real Samana Santa experience or you can go to the beach, bring a boom box and cooler full of ice and Chevas and get your groove on.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I think one of the all inclusives is offering a special buffet "last supper" menu. This is as close as you will get to real Samana Santa experience or you can go to the beach, bring a boom box and cooler full of ice and Chevas and get your groove on.

LTSteve,
the family is not visiting a AI, they rented a condo for a week or 12 days if i remember correctly.

Mike

Brookelemongotsoul

Mar 12, 2015
LTSteve,
the family is not visiting a AI, they rented a condo for a week or 12 days if i remember correctly.

Mike

Yes Mike you are right--we purposely are avoiding AI's to see a bit more. Not that Im oppossed to endless drinks and nice pools. But this is not that trip. We will be hopping fences and crashing family parties. Haha! (Not)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Yes Mike you are right--we purposely are avoiding AI's to see a bit more. Not that Im oppossed to endless drinks and nice pools. But this is not that trip. We will be hopping fences and crashing family parties. Haha! (Not)

that sounds exactly the fun way, as opposed to the typical cheapy overdrinking and overeating and overdancing AI Way, lol

Mike

Brookelemongotsoul

Mar 12, 2015
that sounds exactly the fun way, as opposed to the typical cheapy overdrinking and overeating and overdancing AI Way, lol

Mike

Right?! I could stay home in the US and do that overeating and drinking for free here. It is St. Patrick's day--people have been at the bars since 7am.
I'd be asleep by now.:p

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Okay, what a moron post mine was. I am really grateful to this forum already. Tough love. Calling people out
just to keep them safe. I am very appreciative of the insight. Looking at the posts, pretty dumb to think we
could blend in or be a part. BUT, I meant no disrespect to anyone local. Just wanted to get a feel for another's
traditions. It does sound like a crazy time to be there and we are not at a resort. SOOOOOOO---I will take all
of your advice..(most) and stay low.

MikeFisher you are right===Americans wouldn't take an unknown in to celebrate anything. Why do you all
love to live there so much? It sounds bad if you are a gringo. I am still looking forward to our visit and trip. No news at 11 for us. Thanks everyone for your comments and real advice. Cant get this anywhere else.

Then do just what you're talking about. You sure don't need anybody from a social media site to enjoy Samana Santa in Santo Domingo with your family and enjoy some Dominican culture. So what if you are on the outside looking in. It could also be a lot of fun, and you will never know unless you go for it. It all depends on you. My first time stepping foot in Santo Domingo, I ended up hanging out on the beach in Costumbar. Two small beach bars there on a Saturday. Spoke almost no Spanish, sitting in a beach chair by myself with a chica serving me cold presidentes in a bamboo holder with a plastic. Very nice girl. The beach was not crowded by any means, fairly dirty with plastics and sea grass everywhere so there I sat sipping on my beer enjoying a new country. There was a chico walking on the beach with a stick full of fish and a couple of nice lobsters on it. I figured I'd buy the lobsters from him for dinner at the villa close by where I was staying. OK.. This is for you CC, I was staying at BB's. Didn't quite fit in there but learned a good lesson about myself. Anyyyyyyway, That's why I went out looking around.

So this guy comes over, and I touch the lobsters, hold up two fingers, and set down $20.00. the guy grabs the twenty, drops the entire stick with lobster, fish and all as he turns and walks away. I say' Hey!! I Just wanted the lobster. He starts running. The girl (Matiel) is laughing her a$$ off and explains to me in English (I didn't know she spoke English before this) "Leave him". That's twice as much money as he would have got selling his fish to Dominicans. Asked about me, why I was there, where I was from, the normal crap.

Then she told me that there were a lot of people coming down later, and she would cook the fish and lobsters along with the food she and others had, and we would have a fiesta. Lot's of people, wonderful time. Beautiful girls, good food, lots of beer (that I paid for) but what the hey. One girl taught me basic bachata. I had a great time. Never felt out of place or threatened or uneasy. It was however 2002 to qualify this story, but I still believe that its up to "What are you up for"?? It's up to you and how you are in a foreign environment. I'm at home usually, and personally don't get why more people don't do exactly what you are talking about in your post. Do your homework, and look around. Ask questions, but from Dominicans. Not expats (including me). I hope you pull it off. Only go around once, and I wanna live! Cheers, to life!!

Brookelemongotsoul

Mar 12, 2015
Then do just what you're talking about. You sure don't need anybody from a social media site to enjoy Samana Santa in Santo Domingo with your family and enjoy some Dominican culture. So what if you are on the outside looking in. It could also be a lot of fun, and you will never know unless you go for it. It all depends on you. My first time stepping foot in Santo Domingo, I ended up hanging out on the beach in Costumbar. Two small beach bars there on a Saturday. Spoke almost no Spanish, sitting in a beach chair by myself with a chica serving me cold presidentes in a bamboo holder with a plastic. Very nice girl. The beach was not crowded by any means, fairly dirty with plastics and sea grass everywhere so there I sat sipping on my beer enjoying a new country. There was a chico walking on the beach with a stick full of fish and a couple of nice lobsters on it. I figured I'd buy the lobsters from him for dinner at the villa close by where I was staying. OK.. This is for you CC, I was staying at BB's. Didn't quite fit in there but learned a good lesson about myself. Anyyyyyyway, That's why I went out looking around.

So this guy comes over, and I touch the lobsters, hold up two fingers, and set down $20.00. the guy grabs the twenty, drops the entire stick with lobster, fish and all as he turns and walks away. I say' Hey!! I Just wanted the lobster. He starts running. The girl (Matiel) is laughing her a$$ off and explains to me in English (I didn't know she spoke English before this) "Leave him". That's twice as much money as he would have got selling his fish to Dominicans. Asked about me, why I was there, where I was from, the normal crap.

Then she told me that there were a lot of people coming down later, and she would cook the fish and lobsters along with the food she and others had, and we would have a fiesta. Lot's of people, wonderful time. Beautiful girls, good food, lots of beer (that I paid for) but what the hey. One girl taught me basic bachata. I had a great time. Never felt out of place or threatened or uneasy. It was however 2002 to qualify this story, but I still believe that its up to "What are you up for"?? It's up to you and how you are in a foreign environment. I'm at home usually, and personally don't get why more people don't do exactly what you are talking about in your post. Do your homework, and look around. Ask questions, but from Dominicans. Not expats (including me). I hope you pull it off. Only go around once, and I wanna live! Cheers, to life!!

Whoa what a story! I think stories like this happen all around the world. If someone is smart and comfortable and friendly, it (to me) makes sense to be able to fall into a scenario like yours. Yes, fast forward to 2015 and also that I am a woman---have to be extra careful. I tend to make friends wherever I travel but I use common sense also. Not so much when I was younger, maybe. I think there are a lot of good people still in the world, and the most genuine and humble people are the ones who have the least. Now, my post was kind of tongue and cheek---I am not going to be knocking on doors to find a family, however I love the suggestions to be an observer, if the situation is right, have some rum and food at the beach, and share with others. I live in a kind of touristy area, and we get people here from all over the world. I'm not saying I'd invite a stranger over for a holiday, but we have hosted people from all over the world in our home many times. Thanks for your insight. I wish I coulda been a fly on the wall at your "fiesta". I will post from DR if we have any special Semana Santa experiences......and otherwise.

Cheers!