Thinking of installing security cameras around our home.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Police Came

We had burglars twice the past year in our residencial. Both times the police:
1. Arrived right away and the forensics team (yes) the next day and
2. they were very eager to watch the footage.

Forensics team?
So, you shot and killed an intruder?

Were any stolen goods recovered?
Were the burglars caught and sentenced (to what)?

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Never left alone

... the house has never been left without someone inside for all those years!!!
THAT's the dominican security system!!!

Which, undoubtedly is the best system of all.
And the 12 gauge, of course.... ;)

donP

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Thieves like to steal the dvr so, where is the best site / firm for online storage of data?

Use wireless network (IP) cameras. They are excellent quality and you can record a video on a network video recorder or even laptop located at your neighbour's garage (or wherever the ladrones can not find it). Easy to install, can be viewed on the internet without complicated port-forwarding.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's the same sentiments expressed by the same people time and again with only the scenario changing. Nothing will happen, nobody cares, your are wasting your time & your money, things will never change...

Personal security like everything here or at home is one's own responsibility. Cameras are a tool, a firearm is a tool, bars are a tool, dogs are a tool and a watchman is a tool. One alone may or may not be enough. The more tools you employee and bring to bear, generally the better off you'll be.

Ultimately, you define your own needs and take steps to satisfy those needs. Doing nothing, is usually not the best advice. Doing something is almost always better than doing nothing. Doing one thing, while maybe not a perfect or total solution, may be a good start. What works for someone in their particular situation or location may not work as well for someone else. Only you know what your needs and comfort level are.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Also, the house has never been left without someone inside for all those years!!!
THAT's the dominican security system!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

100 % accurate and the best advise so far along with some dogs is even better

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
As soon as one detects a movement, it starts moving and a red LED flashes.

Ladrones are aware of the fact that real security cameras do NOT flash. I was very surprised to see such cameras in a well known pharmacy in Sosua.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Are there cameras that can take video in the dark or under dim lighting conditions, I think it's called infrared or something?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I didn't mention my shotgun, because if you need to use it, your system has failed!!!
Mine has been in the same drawer for 20 years, but I do take it out and "fondle it" once in a while!!!!

:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited by a moderator:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Just a suggestion. Pricemart in SD sell a pretty good 8 or 12 camera system, plug n play practically. Simple to instal. 10,000 to 20,000 depending on how many cameras you get. Keep an eye on each one remotely from your smartphone, etc etc. They won't stop anyone robbing your sh1te, or help catch them afterwards, but you can at least watch

Either way, security cameras on a property here is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, so if you're going to waste money, might as well waste as little as possible.

What you fail to comprehend with your blinded view (No pun intended) is that with a good camera security system you can capture video of thieves coming and going as they rob either you or your neighbors. Just maybe the video will be enough to have them captured and/or subject to Dominican street justice. My system has provided information which has led to the identity of a house robbery.

I would strongly suggest that if one gets video cameras, go for the 1080p cameras/system. I 'm in the process of upgrading to 1080p, all the difference in the World as for the ability to identify the people in the street.

Systems at Pricesmart are 960H at the most, check the following Resolution Comparison chart.

Security cameras are duty free for import.
Customs did charge duty for my Security recorder either at the time I imported it. (Over $600)

33ncge9.jpg

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
What you fail to comprehend with your blinded view (No pun intended) is that with a good camera security system you can capture video of thieves coming and going as they rob either you or your neighbors. Just maybe the video will be enough to have them captured and/or subject to Dominican street justice. My system has provided information which has led to the identity of a house robbery.

I would strongly suggest that if one gets video cameras, go for the 1080p cameras/system. I 'm in the process of upgrading to 1080p, all the difference in the World as for the ability to identify the people in the street.

Systems at Pricesmart are 960H at the most, check the following Resolution Comparison chart.

Customs did charge duty for my Security recorder either at the time I imported it. (Over $600)

33ncge9.jpg

Cams are duty free? Hmmm. . .thanks! Was just on skype with a buddy talking about importing security equipment to DR. He has done VERY well in argentina, and is looking into getting rights to caribbean.
This is certainly a plus!!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Shrivelled Gun

I didn't mention my shotgun, because if you need to use it, your system has failed!!!

Not necessarily so.
If your first barrier are the (outside) dogs, the criminals could poison or shoot them.
Few people have trained dogs who can actually attack and neutralise an armed intruder.
So, the main task of your dogs is, to warn you.
Then you pump the shotgun and defend yourself from the inside of your house...

Mine has been in the same drawer for 20 years, but I do take it out and "fondle it" once in a while!!!!

Both need (loving) care and a squirt (of oil) from time to time.
20 years is too long an interval... ;)

donP

Last edited by a moderator:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Are there cameras that can take video in the dark or under dim lighting conditions, I think it's called infrared or something?

NOTE: Images here are reduced in size for display purposes.

The night vision on my new 1080p cameras are great.

1080p IR Night Vision at about 200 feet:
2j3fh2q.jpg

Network 1080p Zoom Camera - over 1,000 feet from subjects:
bjefpy.jpg

Multiple 1080p cameras screen view:
mv13td.jpg

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Correction

Customs did (not) charge duty for my Security recorder either at the time I imported it. (Over $600)

MY BAD!!!!!!

TYPO: Customs DID NOT charge import duty on the Security Video Recorder.

Note that I told the supplier to list it on the INVOICE as:

"Security Camera NVR"

Wanted them to see the words "Security Camera" on the invoice..... lol
As I was told originally by BMCargo that there would be duty on recorders.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
OP. Don't mind all that nonsense you read above. Not for the first time will you read inaccurate info around here. I have a professionally installed system on my SD property that cost just over US$12,000 just for the camera system. It is excellent and absolutely state of the art. However, the only thing that makes it useful is I also have two full time guards, one constantly monitoring the screens and the other patrolling. I also have a security company remotely monitoring the guards. Now, I feel nice and snug as a little bug when I'm about to doze off.

Fact is, a cheap system from Pricemart, a VERY well lit property, and one, or perhaps two, very expensive dogs would be as good, if not better.

Your camera system, regardless of the price, is only as good as the eyeballs looking at the screen. As for catching someone afterwards, Give me a break !!!

edit: Was not referring to William or Cdn's advise........ nothing wrong with that either.

A US$12,000 system that doesn't record! Wow! They saw you coming! It's the recording that you use to catch criminals, not the live feed.

I have a set of Dlink cloud cameras on my property. They are very cheap and reliable and pretty much plug and play. You can view your property when you are away from home with an app for your smartphone. It records onto a hidden hard drive, which no one would ever find. The cheapest ones start at around 40 bucks, or for around 90 bucks you can get a high resolution, night vision pan and tilt one, which you can also control from your phone. The system is completely wireless and connects via wifi to your router. No need for an expensive security company to come out and case your joint, do it yourself. https://www.mydlink.com/content/productfamily

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Security system at our Beach Place.
it is a 2nd floor appartment, the building contains 2 upper and 2 groundfloor appartments, surrounded bu Palmtrees etc on 3 sides and the Beach on the otha side.
1 Chihuahua Female who would die for defending her beloved Daddy.
her Bed is located exactly aside my Bed, right aside a Balcony.
1 semi automatic 24/7 cooked on the drawer where i reach it in the Dark without leaving that bed.
our Windows are open 24/7(only Mosquito Screens on windows and on Balcony Door), we do not have metal bars or such.
only one window in the office (it looks on the Stairs before someone would reach the locked frontdoor) and the wide Glassdoors to the big Veranda are closed over night.
Chihuahua barks at night, i have the piece in hand, if she chooses to bark at a specific window or door and i see a shaddow there then i shoot on that thingy. i don't talk to burglars within my property.
the very few false Chihuahua alarms per year did never produce a shadow on any 2nd floor window/door, so no ammunitons wasted. Glass is cheap in DR to replace window-glass.
the costs for such system:
* Chihuahua, Female, small kind(1.00kg after she filled the belly with food), 0.00.- Pesos
* Dogfood for above mentione Guardian, 3x5lbs per year, yearly total of 1.200.- Pesos
* Taurus 380 semi with 3 Mags, 100.000.- Pesos
* 3 packs of 380 shots x50 to keep the Gun moving once in a while, yearly 6.000.- Pesos
* yearly renewal of Gun permit and Carry permit for the 380, 10.000.- Pesos
above described is what i have at our beach appartment. provided by the Landlord we have a watchy walking thru the property at night, he sleeps on our Veranda when nobody sleeps at our place. yearly watching costs are a bottle of Rum, 1.000.- pesos and invitation on christmas even at christmas time, a bottle of Rum and a few pesos for Easter week, once in a while(each maybe 3-5 times per year) a small pack of smokes or a 100.- pesos Claro Card.
til not long ago we had day and night each a watchy, but as most part of the small residency been a short while ago sold to a neighbour, we cut down to just the one guy over night.

on the Ranch:
different hunting rifles in the Rack.
a lil shotgun in the sleeping quarter and a 2nd one in the wooden house at the backyard with the family of Employees that sleep/live there. changing 2-5 stray dogs who get their food daily here. 2 Doberman's used to be in a cage during the days and running free from dusk til dawn, they like 1 dozen of persons(ourselves and the guys living as employees on the ranch), they get fed in the morning only, the strays make the noise, the Dibis seldom bark first, they hit and then bark to let us know they found something, as they know well that they get sweeties for everybody lying beneath 'em when i come out.
til today, without exceptions, the ones found beneath them been drunken neighbours crossing the property in the middle of the night on their way home, they know nothing happens as long as they don't move or try to run once a Dobi took 'em down. it's less than a year that this couple of brotha and sista Dobies are around the house. aside of unimportant scratches barely bleeding, they do a clean effective job.
just that they get lately no more training lessons, as the neighbours choose longer routes over which ever neighbour territory, but not ours, lol.
the Ranch is nothing of luxury, no real value of anything to steal, so some Dogs are sufficient.
if i would have a stand alone property in a City, it would need high walls, 2 big dogs residing out there 24/7, a nasty Chihuahua sleeping aside my bed in there, and some piece on the drawer aside the bed.
with exception of once in a while a few nights at the beachplace, usually no place stays ever abandondend, there is always someone sleeping in there, which is a first effective security preventive action. a dog inside the house, where it can not be poisoned, is the best alarm bell ever. a shotgun, or what ever each personally prefers, aside the bed, is what you use as the last tool if you need to defend your house/family when a burglar tries to enter.
Cameras?
i would be bothered to watch the cameras via the smartphone every time a cat or bird or whatsoever triggers the motion sensor alarm, and anyways, whats it worth to watch that stuff on the smartphone while somewhere else for dinner or drinkets or party etc, while the house is alone? always someone sleeping in your house, is the first rule to effective PREVENTIVE security.
IF they manage to rob my stuff, well, thats gone, no need to watch 'em on TV.

Mike

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

Night vision, that's what I meant to say.

Are there security cameras that record in 4k?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
One of the positive aspects of cameras, is leaving/ entering your proprety......so you dont get ambushed. View the inside on ure screen/phone.
That is if u dont like dogs ( or keep them caged up :laugh: ), I will NEVER enter my gate ( u cant see through it , if my dogs are not there greeting me ).
The dr is a good place for dogs used for security.....most people are very scared of them.

P.S. I use the "sleep inside" as a reward for the dogs. ( so its a turn over, except for the old bad-a$$ killer dog.....:nervous:).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mike,
Your comment about the Dobermans not barking is right....
The great biters or attackers never warn the target..... they just hit

Ours was fierce .......

New dog is 50% Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff), 25% each Boxer nad American bulldog..... large dog
and quiet....

Makes me think he'll attack well... just 14 months old , so starting to get confident....120+lbs

GringoInParadise

May 19, 2015
Oh trust they will help you to find them, We have 8 cameras installed in my residence, burglar got in while I was watching TV, did not even notice he was there, took some money he found around the house, when My father arrived and saw the mess was when we found out, we took a look at the camera and we had everything recorded, took it to the Police, opened a case, in 3 days we had the burglar.

This was on Boca Chica btw.

Take a look at Inicio - Alarma 365 and nerdot.com.do, they are famouse and loyal company in the country.

Or........You could write it from another perspective...

"...We have 8 cameras installed in my residence, burglar got in while I was watching TV, did not even notice he was there, took some money he found around the house, "....I heard a noise, and went to look. The burglar blew my friggen brains out with a shotgun.

"..My father arrived and saw the mess was when we found out, we took a look at the camera and we had everything recorded, took it to the Police, opened a case, in 3 days we had the burglar.."

Friggen cameras were great.

Although....the bitch about it is...........I'm dead..

Wish I had bought a friggen Cocker Spaniel instead of those cameras.