Thinking of installing security cameras around our home.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
nyc jails are installing cameras/////everywhere.... goota lov em 2 years ago a man broke into a house in jersey beat a woman and robbed her....nanny cams . bingo the neighbors all chipped in and 10k$reward for capture.......not arrestr and conviction....capture,,,,,,he was caught in less than 24hrs.... family probably turned him in...

chic baby, such happens in nyc around every 30 seconds, all around the clock, no weekends nor holidays.
fam turned him in? nice family, good to hear that you grow up in a nice 'hood.

Mike

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I have a friend who I helped install these in his colmado:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EWP1C6A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Quality is good, night vision sees off into the distance quite a bit.

For cameras in this price range, those are some of the best you can get.

Choosing a DVR is really key.

If you pick a crappy DVR it'll be hell setting it up to view remotely. Try to pick a DVR that has a mobile app that's pretty much entering a username and password. I know you can do that with NVSIP but not sure which DVRs some with that software built in.

Good luck.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I usually always check compatibility with the Mac, this thing I didn't.

I used to be all PC, till I met my wife and she had one then I bought one and have never gone back. PC's make me want to throw them in the water! I find using Mac a lot less stressful and the wife sometimes uses mine for her music stuff or movie editing when she is doing other stuff on hers.
I don't need one, but I really like them!!

Just install Parallels - 80 bucks or so, and you can run Windows software on your mac.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have 5 cameras in around my little used house in the UK. The outside ones are all IR, the one in the garage IR/Wireless. They email me when they detect movement, the other option is an SMS message. I can login anytime online or via my phone to see whats going on, playback recordings, take photos, start a recording etc. I saved about US$10,500 as compared to some other systems :)

The neighborhood has had 2 burglaries in the past few months, both of those houses had no visible CCTV cameras, they do now. It's clear from just about every study, that CCTV cameras are a good deterrent and can aid in convictions, including the DR.

Combine CCTV with dogs, lights and you have a pretty good deterrent. Of course at the end of the day if they "really" want to get into your property they will.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Okay, dummy alert here..... Since this uses an SD card, does that mean you don't connect to a computer, you just remove the SD card and insert it in computer slot?? I ask because we have Macs and after what Harley said......

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i would expect that such cams also work with a Mac.
usually when i buy cam stuff for the boats, the descriptions and software shows one section for windows programs and one section of the manuals for Mac's.
i can't tell you what different things you have to do, as the only one in the family with Mac Computers is my Sista who works as Graphics designer thingy stuff ans tells that Mac is the only way to go, myself i am a pure windows 8.1 user and have no clue about a Mac. but the cam descriptions of my equipments always show instructions for connecting the stuff to a Mac, too.
or do on google/amazon and alikes a search for Cameras for Mac Computer Systems, i can imagine that you get millions of pages offered.

Mike

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
just curios
I have 8ft fence....is it legal to put ground up glass on top of the fence , i guess cemented onto the top of the fence to stop fence jumpers etc

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Seems like it fifty fifty how much of a deterrent the cameras are. It does make it look like you have valuables to protect. Me, I like dogs, guns and a strong safe room for sleeping. Never leave the joint empty. No one messes with us so far and I sleep just fine.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
chic baby, such happens in nyc around every 30 seconds, all around the clock, no weekends nor holidays.

Mike

dear mike,,,,,,im sorry to inform you,,,,,,,but it was on the local news channel...which is national cbs 2 ...and my hood...we had one lov/coke murder/divorse in 50 yrs... a slow down christian neighborhood /walking distance to big catholic church/school... and please reread my post....

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

Mike

would have been nice if you knew about installing cams in bathrooms....

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
would have been nice if you knew about installing cams in bathrooms....

the bathrooms in my house are the only rooms under video high res surveillance.
what ya think why i let all the girls on my beach use the bathrooms and showers here, for free???
btw, it really helps that the Cam in the shower head is waterproofed, Deeep waterprooved.

Mike

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
just curios
I have 8ft fence....is it legal to put ground up glass on top of the fence , i guess cemented onto the top of the fence to stop fence jumpers etc

I can only guess so......since Ochoa sells 1m sections of scary looking spikes that cement on top of the wall..... not cheap if I remember rightly....
Do it the dominican way :nervous:, on the front use these for esthetics and on the other 3 sides use the sharrded glass technic. ( note that ladrones use cocunut halfs to bypass the glass effect. )

P.S. I say dominican way, as I cant start to count the number of houses who have a gorgeous front-road facade...... and the rest is apparent block and zinc......ie, MIL, SIL.....

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Coconut Solution

note that ladrones use cocunut halves to bypass the glass effect.

Ingenious!
Appropriate technology applied. :laugh:

It always amazes me how criminal energy brings out the best in man. :cool:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Malko Now Equipped

I learned the hard way.......:cry:

I see.
You mean you climbed that wall and had cuts all over. :(
Now you use the coconut halves...... ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

donP

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Security is a type of theatre, a set of deterrents implemented to make choosing another locale a likely occurrence.

Cameras, dogs, walls, walls, with razor wire or glass, motion sensors, electric fences can all be defeated by a determined ladrone. The idea is to make breaching a layered perimeter more trouble than its worth. If a nasty guy has to bring a ladder, a blanket, wire cutters, poisoned meat, an IR emitter, lock pick, hack saw and a snack, he will just go next-door where he needs fewer tools to attain the objective.

I don't like glass on top of walls. I do not find it ascetically pleasing and it is easy rendered ineffective. A couple of wires suitably spaced with 50K volts running through them is a much more problematic deterrent to defeat. Very few people in this country appear to know how electricity really works and a electric deterent might just be the Dominican equivalent of a Rubik's Cube to your neighbourhood ladrones.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
But what happens when " se fue la luz " ?

Expensive solution if u need a planta, or not ??
Or could it run off batteries/inversor ??

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It could easily be run off an inversor. An electric fence is just a closed electrical circuit. There is a slight loss of energy over the entire run of wire and to power a transformer to boost the voltage, but the wires themselves just contain the current, they don't actually use that current or discharge that current until grounded when someone or something touches both wires or one wire and the wall/ground. So electric fences are very cheap to run as they consume almost no power themselves.