New Cruise Terminal in Downtown Puerto Plata

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wishful thinking. they have been talking about playa bergantin for a while.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The article implies that negotiations are under way to move the power plants from near the port of Puerto Plata and upgrade the area so the cruise ships can use it.
Bergantin and Sosua seem to be under discussion as harbors for smaller boats.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what about the barrio next to the port? will they burn it down to the ground? (great idea) or maybe organize excursions to see how the poor live?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
what about the barrio next to the port? will they burn it down to the ground? (great idea) or maybe organize excursions to see how the poor live?

I suspect that the "clean up the area" would also include that barrio being relocated in a manner that happened with El Tablon in Sosua..

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I think the main news is on the potential Puerto Plata terminal. Not sure if the Sosua development could get going or not, but there is some momentum going on that is encouraging development in the area and that is a good thing.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will believe it when i see it. local sites enthusiastically publish anything. the new road, new projects, whatnot.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I'd like to see a stop in Sosua. Ship anchoring off shore with tenders bringing people to town. Nice central location. Tours could easily go as far as Puerto Plata or Playa Grande. Lots of options to entertain passengers and could spread the benefits around.
Wouldn't want to have the streets filled daily with cruise passengers, but a couple of days a week would do a lot for the economy.

If they use tenders, it wouldn't take too much time or cost to get a dock installed for the tenders and start receiving passengers.

I did a cruise along the Brazilian coast last year and all stops were by tender except the departure and arrival port. There was basically nothing more than a dock to handle the tenders... And we were left to enjoy the beach, take an established tour, rent cars or bikes and explore on our own

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I guess it all depends on the frequency of swells in the area and how strong they are. However, from what I can see, the cruise companies want to control the passengers and letting naive tourists running free in Sosua may leave them vulnerable.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I'd like to see a stop in Sosua. Ship anchoring off shore with tenders bringing people to town. Nice central location. Tours could easily go as far as Puerto Plata or Playa Grande. Lots of options to entertain passengers and could spread the benefits around.
Wouldn't want to have the streets filled daily with cruise passengers, but a couple of days a week would do a lot for the economy.

If they use tenders, it wouldn't take too much time or cost to get a dock installed for the tenders and start receiving passengers.

I did a cruise along the Brazilian coast last year and all stops were by tender except the departure and arrival port. There was basically nothing more than a dock to handle the tenders... And we were left to enjoy the beach, take an established tour, rent cars or bikes and explore on our own

Stops with tenders do not work well anymore with American clients, because of the number of down days due to weather. During bad weather, the tenders cannot work and there are many complaints and requests for refunds when a stop in an itinerary is not honored.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Stops with tenders do not work well anymore with American clients, because of the number of down days due to weather. During bad weather, the tenders cannot work and there are many complaints and requests for refunds when a stop in an itinerary is not honored.

That's unfortunate but understandable. The Brazilian cruise was about 98% Brazilian and when booking there was a waiver that needed to be signed by north American clients that included among other things that ship announcements and entertainment in English would be limited. I guess the complaints pour in otherwise.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Conchman, what changes to offerings if any will ocean world be making to accommodate cruise ship clients? Will the focus be 100% on the existing park or are other attractions being considered within ocean world?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
how much for me and car to go to florida ????and time frame ...u gettin me excited here...:bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit: