Rum....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Never liked Myers too much.

Mt Gay was my fav for the longest time in Can/US.... then came RD and I went native.
Never looked back.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Had some of this last weekend.

Made a few pisco sours.....................

tabernero-pisco-la-botija-Noticia-18395.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have always been a big 'blender'........

I have blended Gosling's Black Rum with almost every rum possible
A little goes a long way
It was the Outerbridges in Bermuda who taught me that.
He had a 3 or 4 way blend he made in a huge jug..... excellent

I blend beers... Guinness with anything... a little goes a long way.

Reading Sweet dv8's aversion to Leyenda's sweetness and her preference for Brugal XV,
I did a test

dv8.... try blending the two... to your own satisfaction
In my hand is a 50/50.......... not bad, but I think I'll throttle back.... 2/3-1/3, to my side

It will make my Leyenda last longer too !!!

No visitor to my house ever trusts the bottle label....
Nobody knows what's inside..... a specialidad de casa......

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I splurged on a bottle of DUBAR Imperial. I get the impression that it is the heir of the old Imperial, which used to be the best
of Dominican sipping rums. However, it apparently was ditched after the sale and now Jerry Dupuy and Polita Barcel? have joined forces to make this new Imperial.

I have not had that many drinks but it does go down easy.

Funny, how as I age, my drinking slows way down. From a bottle of Barcel? a night (shared, I never drink alone) to maybe a sip or tw every couple of weeks at most.

A healthy HB....hee hee hee

HB

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Ron Atlantico, Private Cask is pretty good. They used to sell it at Super Super in Sousa but when I was there at Christmas they didn't have any. Hope they will keep stocking it, but who knows.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
straight is what I intended to base this thread on.....

so far, pretty good

As promised I checked out the duty free in SDQ to see if they had the local Viscaya rum...no such luck......but

....found and tasted Inhiq XO a 25 year old DR malt rum which can be found in Nacional.......excellent rum to drink soltero....'rich complex silky, sweet and fruity and a malty finish of chocolate, delicious and long'

Not my words but a fine 25 year old rum at a price.

I suspect all the select rums sold at Duffry are marketed in conjunction with Oliver and Oliver of Santo Domingo. WW check their website for a good variety of sipping rums to work through...

http://www.oliveryoliver.com/home/

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yup, I have that one.... 500ml for ~3,000 pesos..... not cheap.

I'm sticking with Brugal Leyenda........ 900 pesos and great..... for me.
Agreed , the malt rum is nice....Unhiq XO

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Madrid international airport has a good choice of rums including Dominican rum.

I opted for a Venezuelan rum Flor de Cana 18 year old from duty free for my son.....and so get sipping rights.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

I stand corrected...after ...24 hours without kip I did consider a Venezuelan alternative in the duty free and can't recall the name. Happy with the 'Flor' to sip.

I did find a very good Rioja in Madrid which I have thoroughly enjoyed this evening in Uk........Beronia Grand Reserva 2008.....not that cheap but an excellent example of the tempranillo, mazuelo and graciano