german tourist murdered on the malecon in POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
When these "thugs" do not even have respect or value for their own "countrymen" the expats/tourists do not stand a chance. No remorse, no accountability, nothing. It seems some of the victims were "older" and that in itself is bothersome. But I guess a thugs mindset is to prey on those they feel are more "vulnerable". And I swear if I hear one more time "Jose was a hardworker, a good son..etc.." . Wake-up families (of these thugs), you never know when your "hardworking son, Jose" may turn on you.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
No country for old men

This has got to stop....all for a bloody gold chain. This was just down from LaSerena.

It's the moronic mindset of the murderers and the random nature that is troubling.
The chain could have been a $5 fake from the beach, they wouldn't know the difference.
However they are willing to snatch anything that glitters and are willing to shoot to kill for it.

Enough murders are committed shot point blank when leaving the bank, no questions asked.
If they get mad they will just stab you no hesitation, for a disagreement or robbery.

Last week a Haitian girl got mad at a Dominicana for "stealing" her tourist, so the Haitian just stabbed the other girl in the back.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
Maurcio put it correctly when he said that the DR is a collapsed state in a sense of morals, values and judgements. Whats respected in the DR is money, cars, and prestige. To me the whole Dominican society seems like a sick sociological experiment gone wrong. This is exactly what happens when you put zero emphasis on education and good parenting. The educational process starts at home and continues in the school system. I don't see how things will ever improve there until the leaders(1%) and their media companies start to promote good values, education, and personal/spiritual development instead of drugs, murder, infidelity, stealing, lying, corruption, and the promotion of gangster lifestyles.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"I don't see how things will ever improve there until the leaders(1%) and their media companies start to promote good values..."

If promoted on TV, they would switch to the baseball or novela channel...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Maurcio put it correctly when he said that the DR is a collapsed state in a sense of morals, values and judgements. Whats respected in the DR is money, cars, and prestige. To me the whole Dominican society seems like a sick sociological experiment gone wrong. This is exactly what happens when you put zero emphasis on education and good parenting. The educational process starts at home and continues in the school system. I don't see how things will ever improve there until the leaders(1%) and their media companies start to promote good values, education, and personal/spiritual development instead of drugs, murder, infidelity, stealing, lying, corruption, and the promotion of gangster lifestyles.

Oh! I see!

So since you get a good grasp of all this, what's called moral collapse, humanity collapase or life collapse when an individual walks into a school an sprays bullets onto all that breaths?
Or when they randomly slice somebody's face in the street or whilst riding a train?

Or when a guy decides to hold hostage an entire state by shooting people in the head for a ransom?

Or maybe when...

Spare the extra conditioning...

This was nothing more than a robbery gone wrong, because the victim opted to fight back and resist (which is stupid for a big reason). How many of those we don't hear and read about all over???

But noooooooOO!! It's the DR!! The total collapse of humanity!!!

Stop the press! Call all media! Toot-Toot! The DR is going to kill you if you dare come!

Please!

Less drama!

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
Oh! I see!

So since you get a good grasp of all this, what's called moral collapse, humanity collapase or life collapse when an individual walks into a school an sprays bullets onto all that breaths?
Or when they randomly slice somebody's face in the street or whilst riding a train?

Or when a guy decides to hold hostage an entire state by shooting people in the head for a ransom?

Or maybe when...

This was nothing more than a robbery gone wrong, because the victim opted to fight back and resist (which is stupid for a big reason). How many of those we don't hear and read about all over???

Stop the press! Call all media! Toot-Toot! The DR is going to kill you if you dare come!

Please!

Less drama!

Actually those are global issue's that's affecting many different societies, it just seems to be happening there at an alarming rate. I know it must be very disappointing reading all of this for you since it interferes with your interest in real estate, tourism, and development projects. The drama definetly hurts businesses

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Oh! I see!

Or maybe when...

Please!

Less drama!

Spin doctors need not apply.....this isn't the right cicumstance

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I don't see how things will ever improve there until the leaders(1%) and their media companies start to promote good values, education, and personal/spiritual development instead of drugs, murder, infidelity, stealing, lying, corruption, and the promotion of gangster lifestyles.

Ya know, other than infidelity, every term you used here could also be used when explaining what is wrong in America today.. All of them.. When you consider that America is supposed to be the example to the entire free world, and DR is a nation in transition, I don't think your post depicts the DR fairly.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
You guys must admit that you love when stuff like this happen, because you have an excuse to carry out your hate festival!!

Some of the criticisms are true, but others do not have constructive intentions. Just look how somebody in the past pages of this thread was already celebrating because this news made it to NYTimes, because you know, f*ck DR tourism, f*ck our main source of income. You guys don't even care to hide your real feelings anymore.

I believe in karma, the evil that you wish to others, will be returned to you multiplied.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I believe in karma, the evil that you wish to others, will be returned to you multiplied.

Maybe this is the karma thats happening now in regards to the people that are being critical

People usually just aren't critical for no reason....usually

But maybe you think it's all sunshine and roses here

Last edited:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
You guys must admit that you love when stuff like this happen, because you have an excuse to carry out your hate festival!!

Some of the criticisms are true, but others do not have constructive intentions. Just look how somebody in the past pages of this thread was already celebrating because this news made it to NYTimes, because you know, f*ck DR tourism, f*ck our main source of income. You guys don't even care to hide your real feelings anymore.

This is my second country and although it has its faults, for me the pros out way the cons and so I prefer to live here over my home country. HOWEVER, since I first visited in 1997 and even since moving here almost 10 years ago the steady increase in violence is very upsetting. (I was robbed at gun point here (in Puerto Plata) about 2 years ago.
I am glad this murder got play in the N.Y. press NOT because I wish bad things for this country or its people (including daughter in law and grandchildren) but on the contrary, MAYBE with the threat of this violence getting international press and potentially impacting tourism it will force the government to take the actions needed to curb the violence.
I look forward to a safer, cleaner Dominican Republic.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is my second country and although it has its faults, for me the pros out way the cons and so I prefer to live here over my home country. HOWEVER, since I first visited in 1997 and even since moving here almost 10 years ago the steady increase in violence is very upsetting. (I was robbed at gun point here (in Puerto Plata) about 2 years ago.
I am glad this murder got play in the N.Y. press NOT because I wish bad things for this country or its people (including daughter in law and grandchildren) but on the contrary, MAYBE with the threat of this violence getting international press and potentially impacting tourism it will force the government to take the actions needed to curb the violence.
I look forward to a safer, cleaner Dominican Republic.

Until they start giving the local police better training with better pay you can forget about a safer, cleaner Dominican Republic.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Just look how somebody in the past pages of this thread was already celebrating because this news made it to NYTimes, because you know, f*ck DR tourism, f*ck our main source of income..

i think what's fcuking tourism more is a murder of tourist, no?

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
I grew up in Detroit....and have lived to talk about it....Crime is reported here very graphically. I do not think the crime rate
ratio to population even comes close to present day Detroit! We have been her 4 years now, and yes, best to have caution on your side and eyes wide open however, when people are on vacation these seem to forget that the rest of the world continues on.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Getting closer each day...

Getting%20closer%20each%20day.png

Sitting ducks should draw a number... :tired:

donP

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
Speaking as a tourist, I can't say anything about society or its changes based on my 4 weeks a year sample

But I will say that I don't feel that when a crime is committed against a tourist that its taken as serious as it should be. It seems to be treated like just another crime in the DR. I could be wrong, but it is the impression you get as a tourist.

In places that depends heavily on tourism, there is usually a "protect the tourist" mentality in the community to some extent because they are the source of business and if words spread that the place is unsafe then they won't come. I don't really get that feeling in the DR. Some times I feel the opposite which is screw the tourist over for as much as fast as you can before they get away.

I'm glad this crime is getting the appropriate attention. It was a tragic event that needs resolution. The people in charge need to take appropriate action to ensure safety for "outside the walls" tourist or they'll stop coming.

Based on my conversations with other US tourists, the DR already has a pretty bad reputation. Most other US tourists I've met that know anything about the DR believe that you go to Punta Cana and stay inside a resort 24 hours a day or skip the DR altogether.

My next DR trip is booked, but events like these are the type of thing that makes me consider changing countries again. I'm very interested in the outcome.

For all the folks who want to talk about crime rates, other countries, statistics, etc., when a person is choosing a place to pay to go to for vacation, perception is reality. If word spreads it's unsafe, it doesn't matter whether it is or not. Instead of trying to stop the messengers, you should stop the message.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
I'm gonna give my 2 cents on the matter. Im sorry to say this, I wish I could lie to you and tell you everything is gonna be ok, but things won't get any better any time soon. There's absolutely no real will on the part of the authorities to combat the problem of violence, the only thing they care about is hiding it and saving their asses, putting the blame on "perception" or dembow singers. Nobody wants to take responsability and the root of the problem is constantly being ignored, because it's far too complex to solve in 4 years and politicians only care about their vote. Meanwhile, people kind of want to make a change and everybody is disgusted by the violence that has been taking place more recently since mid December 2015 to present day, but nobody actually takes real iniciative, i still haven't seen a peace march or a marathon against violence, all i see is people comenting in the streets and on the internet, and everybody shocked about recent events. Some people do, however give their grain of sand, mainly those community leaders that help the community, some artists and random people doing random acts of niceness like giving away school utensils to poor kids, etc etc. Other than that, I don't see any improvement in the near future, no matter how optimistic I try to be. Moral is on an all time low, people are desperate, the lack of justice is stronger than ever and corruption is also very strong. I'm actually surprised that we've managed to sort of keep our sh*t together compared to Brazil, Venezuela, El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico etc that are much more violent. But that won't last much longer unless we don't force our authorities to really create an effective strategic plan that solves the problem from the root. But one thing im gonna say, tourists being killed or falling victims by violence is incredibly rare. Tourists are very safe compared to dominicans. The ones who have it worse with the insecurity are us dominicans.

For those who give constructive criticism, kudos to you. My problem is with those who get off on bad things happening in DR and i recognise that type of people when i read them. I've never denied the truth, actually, im here to make things clear, because i've seen alot of ridiculous stereotypes and exaggerated stories being spewed all over the place in this forum. Also, some people here seriously are way too paranoid and/or have a persecution complex. The other day I was on an uber and the driver told me that he had a gringo client who f*cked up his rating because of a stupid f*cking reason. It so happens that the app was telling the drive that the route he was taking was too congested, so the driver decided to take an alternative route and stop the app before the destination so the client wasn't overcharged, but he would leave him right in front of the place the gringo was going to. Well the gringo automatically assumed that the driver was trying to take advantage of him and gave him a 0, even though he was charged 60 pesos for the whole trip, even less than the base rate that is 70 pesos, all that because the driver stopped the app before time so he wouldn't get overcharged and as a result he got undercharged, but for some stupid f*cking reason the gringo still thought that somehow the driver robbed him and gave him a 0. That driver was trying to do him a f*cking favor.

Reminded me alot of the stuff that I constantly read in this forum, people saying that dominicans are bad people, that everybody wants to take advantage of you or everybody see's you as a dollar sign. That p*sses me off because you come here and start messing around with prostitutes and sanky pankies, hanging around with the worst kind of people and then acuse 10 million human beings of being "con artists". Apart from it being offensive, it is very misleading and makes foreigners not only not want to come here, it gives us a bad name. Alot of people visit these forum to get information before booking their trip and when they read all the bull****, they get discouraged. I really don't mind it that much if they get discouraged by the TRUTH, but it really gets on my nerves when they believe things that are not true and exaggerated stories, Dominican Watch Dog style.

I don't hide the truth, on the contrary, I try to EXPOSE the truth as much as posible, especially when bullsh*t is harming us. And i know for a fact that some people here are f*cking trash and have the worst intentions. The same type of people that got ****ed over by a prostitute or a sankie and want to take it out on the whole population. Reminds me of a youtuber called "hobo traveler" i think. A sad excuse of a human being. People like that are garbage to me!!

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Reality is unavoidable. Informed tourists who read their country's travel advisories should know that the developing third world has a higher rate of crime of opportunity than most are used to at experiencing at home.

The instant you step off a plane or a boat, you are seem by many as any easy target. You aren't here for very long and will not stick around for a court case. You have more money in your pocket than 80% of the people on the street. You are probably naive as to the realities of your surroundings. That $100 gold chain around your neck is more money than many earn in a week. Your wedding ring may cost more than most earn in a year especially for the ladies. You may be slightly intoxicated having had your first rum & coke on the tour bus on the way to town.

1) Leave your jewelry in the safe at the hotel or better yet at home.
2) Carry a photocopy of your passport and other important ID, not the originals
3) Dress down - be comfortable but $300 Nike shoes and authentic MLB shirts are not necessary
4) Separate your cash. In one pocket keep a small amount say $RD 1000 and the larger amount in your other pocket.
5) Be aware that you are not in Kansas anymore and some people, maybe many people, would like to separate you from your things if given half a chance.

Have fun but don't be oblivious to your surroundings and assume that several people you meet are looking at you like a dog does a pork chop.

Status
Not open for further replies.