Hola, motociclistas! New Motorcycles Coming to the DR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
I ride Harley Electra-gilide classic in Canada ... ok for three ( maybe 4) months! I think that this is a great addition to DR1. I have followed cobraboy's adventures with envy. Anf the day will come when we will take a trip with him.
Looking forward to this thread!!!

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
I saw similar bikes in Colombia and was very impressed with them. The brand is called AKT here's their website. http://www.aktmotos.com/motos/turismo/ak-250-tt-adventour

I like the tourer a great bike for the DR. Looks like I'll be saving up!
This is the same bike with a couple of difference. The main difference is the AK 250TT bike has a carburetor and the RX3 is fuel injected. That also changes the exhaust system.

The Cyclone RX3, bang for the buck and all things considered, may be one of the best bikes for riding the Dominican Republic.

The RX3 has a major world following, and has only been in production for a little over two years.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I used to drag race Harleys all over USA, now I cannot ride any more but I would buy one if I could

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
Some photos of one of our RX3 demo bikes:

0015_Zongshen%20Small_zpsefvzjejd.jpg

0014_Zongshen%20Small_zpscwfx0sjn.jpg

0017_Zongshen%20Small_zpsbjhrupwq.jpg

0011_Zongshen%20Small_zps0smpl8oh.jpg

0008_Zongshen%20Small_zpsvmof0taf.jpg

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Great idea and hope it works well !!

It seems to me that that kind of bike would appeal mainly to expacts/tourists.
Even if the quaity for $ is good ( I have no idea, just based myself on comments ), I cant see many motoconchos turnimg towards this.

On a side note, there are now more and more chinese bikes ( the brand escapes me ), 150 or 200cc. They went after the market in the only possible way : Pay as you go. Motoconchos ( or others ) pay 150 pesos a day for 8 or 9 months THEN they get the matricula and co. It workrd well, very well with the " gatos" series last year, lots of brand new motoconchos.
Well the funny thing with this chinese brand, is it only took off for non-motoconchos, because of the height of the bike. Not that higher than the typical gato/suziki/yamaha typical motoconcho, but enoughto be inconvinient for small passengers, older folks, etc.......

Back to why I think the RX3 will work mainly/only for expats and tourists rentals,
4.5k $ is a LOT of $ for the working class.
But it may appeal to the younger uprising middle classes ? I dont think so. Why ?
Because it will not be their only/main vehicule. They will have a jeepeta/car and the bike will be for leisure/pleasure, so again the $ factor will come into play.
The rich folk will go for a bling-bling ducati or suziki.

As much as I would like an " upgrade " to my suziki motoconcho type bike, I doubt I would do for the RX3.
Another reason I see, based off my experience is that I will use a bike only for close ( say under 15km ) and I live in the campo, no way Jos? I would go to the city on a bike.
Otherwise I use the pickup. Multiple reasons for that. Security ( psychopath drivers and ladrons alike ) and commodity ( shopping, bad weather....).

Another thing I have noticed : visiting well-off dominicans ( usally from SD or santiago ) are literally amazed when we need something for cooking or coffee... quick, chop chop style.
1, because I go myself. 2, cos I go on my bike.
Seems its not the thing to do for a middle class dr citizen.

Just my 2 cents, wishing you all the best in the adventure :).

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I ride a BMW 1300KGT. The gentlemen's crotch rocket. I can see certain similarities the RX3 has with the BMW GS off road series, the frame construction, the metal side bags and top bag, etc. If they are as dependable as the BMW GS series, then they are well worth the price . Good luck with your new business venture.

Aug 6, 2006
Loncin seems to be a favorite in Barahona. I suspect because (a) they are cheap and (b) they have an easy payment plan.I am niot sure what the enganche (down payment ) is, but no one sells bikes for no money down.

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
Great idea and hope it works well !!

It seems to me that that kind of bike would appeal mainly to expacts/tourists.
Even if the quaity for $ is good ( I have no idea, just based myself on comments ), I cant see many motoconchos turnimg towards this.

On a side note, there are now more and more chinese bikes ( the brand escapes me ), 150 or 200cc. They went after the market in the only possible way : Pay as you go. Motoconchos ( or others ) pay 150 pesos a day for 8 or 9 months THEN they get the matricula and co. It workrd well, very well with the " gatos" series last year, lots of brand new motoconchos.
Well the funny thing with this chinese brand, is it only took off for non-motoconchos, because of the height of the bike. Not that higher than the typical gato/suziki/yamaha typical motoconcho, but enoughto be inconvinient for small passengers, older folks, etc.......

Back to why I think the RX3 will work mainly/only for expats and tourists rentals,
4.5k $ is a LOT of $ for the working class.
But it may appeal to the younger uprising middle classes ? I dont think so. Why ?
Because it will not be their only/main vehicule. They will have a jeepeta/car and the bike will be for leisure/pleasure, so again the $ factor will come into play.
The rich folk will go for a bling-bling ducati or suziki.

As much as I would like an " upgrade " to my suziki motoconcho type bike, I doubt I would do for the RX3.
Another reason I see, based off my experience is that I will use a bike only for close ( say under 15km ) and I live in the campo, no way Jos? I would go to the city on a bike.
Otherwise I use the pickup. Multiple reasons for that. Security ( psychopath drivers and ladrons alike ) and commodity ( shopping, bad weather....).

Another thing I have noticed : visiting well-off dominicans ( usally from SD or santiago ) are literally amazed when we need something for cooking or coffee... quick, chop chop style.
1, because I go myself. 2, cos I go on my bike.
Seems its not the thing to do for a middle class dr citizen.

Just my 2 cents, wishing you all the best in the adventure :).
The target market are those who don't want a cheap moto, but cannot afford a Japanese or Euro bike. This coincides with a rising middle/upper middle class.

Our goal is not to sell millions of cheap motos to poor kids with 3-4% per month interest rates. There are dozens of moto dealers in every town that does that.

We are offering quality, unique motorcycles at modest prices to enthusiasts, not necessarily as a daily driver for a family.

The RX3 is a touring machine that can be taken almost anywhere. The RA1 is a small cruiser moto for local use. The RC3 is pure sports bike. None are suitable, really, as a motoconcho.

For perspective, a new Suzuki DL650 is $14,000 and a new Ducati Monster 821 is around $17,500 and a new BMW F800GS is nearly $25,000. Plus ITIBIS.

A new RX3 is $4995. Do the math.

We will also be introducing the RX3 police motorcycle:

150211_4107Adjusted-650.jpg

Last edited:

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
I ride a BMW 1300KGT. The gentlemen's crotch rocket. I can see certain similarities the RX3 has with the BMW GS off road series, the frame construction, the metal side bags and top bag, etc. If they are as dependable as the BMW GS series, then they are well worth the price . Good luck with your new business venture.
The aluminum side bags and top case are a $500 option. Frankly, the standard resin bags work really well unless you need to haul around a lot of stuff.

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
RX3 Promo Video, riding Jarabacoa with Francisco:

[video=vimeo;154303105]https://vimeo.com/154303105[/video]

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
For 12 years I've noticed that the design parameters of small motorcycles in the DR---not pasolas---has hardly changed. They come in three basic designs:

? "Cub", with a horizontal stress-frame engine in a step-through chassis with fuel stored under the seat
? "CG", the generic motorcycle with tank in front of the rider and a bench seat
? Dirt bike

All have their plusses and minuses:

The Cubs are a proven design for economical manufacture and operation. In fact, the Honda Cub series is the single most manufactured vehicle in history---over 70,000,000 have been built. However, the engine placement limits capacity and power, adds stress to the frame, doesn't handle heavy loads well, and while economical are just boring no matter how much tupperware is attached. If you are a human over 150lbs, you are a heavy load on a Cub. You can actually see the front frame bar flex on bumps, and the front wheel is attached by an odd horizontal shock/spring lever.

The generic CG's are everywhere, like seagulls at a landfill, and offer a "traditional" motorcycle design. While there are few engineering differences between brands, CG's can offer a decent platform for displacements up to 250cc without strengthening the frame and suspension and gaining weight. These are also economical to produce and have gotten much better in build quality over the years. While the various brands try to be unique, in reality there isn't much real difference between them in terms of design and engineering when you peek under the skin. The tupperware is just make-up. CG's are definitely street oriented with front and rear tires generally the same dimension, street-biased shock/spring forks and duo rear shocks on a swing arm. They get the job done and are a primary mode of transportation in the DR with their flat bench seat able to carry numerous passengers. Quality ranges from real crap to decent fit and finish. The main appeal is to those who need a lot of motorcycle, don't have much money and are willing to pay 3-4.5% monthly interest on a loan.

Dirt bikes are popular because they can take a beating---by design. They are tall with significant ground clearance, have suspensions with generous play and fitted with brakes designed for loose surfaces---that is, not a lot of front braking power to prevent them from locking up, washing out and crashing. They are at their best on dirt---well, they ARE called "dirt bikes"---because the large diameter front wheel limits street performance and are more adept at rolling over larger objects a rider might find off-road. You see them more in the campo and rural towns than cities. The seats are narrow, hard and very uncomfortable because the bike is designed to be ridden with the pilot standing on the pegs more than sitting. The tires are knobby with poor asphalt and wet street traction, but are more at home on loose dirt & mud. Street vibration is jarring, and high ratio gearing makes them rev high at "normal" street speeds, their powerband aimed at high torque in dirt. The smaller dirt bikes vary between 125-250cc, and many come with a rear mono-shock. 2-stroke dirt bikes are common, but need higher revs to develop power.

All three types share one common trait: generally boring, little real style, generic looking and often looking cheap (some, indeed, are.) These traits are often what keeps someone from not purchasing one: they don't want to look like everyone else on the road, often for social reasons. I mean, who wants to look like a moto concho?

When ADV Moto RD was talking with Zongshen in early negotiations, factory R&D engineers sent some photos of a "new" potential offering for their budding Cyclone line: a small displacement bike designed with real style and innovations never before put into a street "moto", called the Cyclone RA1.

And when we got the first picture...it was love at first sight! We'd never seen anything like it! It was like a small chopper!

Finally! A small motorcycle of high build quality and unique features that scream "I Am Not Just Another Small Motorcycle!" The RA1 turns heads wherever we ride it.

0018_Zongshen%20Small_zpsol04x6yj.jpg

(Zongshen Cyclone RA1)

cg150_zpsychnox6q.jpg

(Typical CG150)

More photos of the RA1:
0023_Zongshen_zpsxdo4lran.jpg

0026_Zongshen%20Small_zpsckbmwxwp.jpg

0028_Zongshen%20Small_zpsypvv5w3x.jpg

The Cyclone RA1 is a real motorcycle. A comparison of the pictures above shows obvious differences from generic CG motorcycles.

Unique features of the Cyclone RA1 compared to the generic CG:
? Floorboards instead of foot pegs
? Forward engine and rear brake controls instead of under foot
? 4" more rake for the cool "chopper" look---which also adds stability
? Ape hanger handlebars
? Single analog and digital primary instrument including gear indicator
? Cruiser seat
? Sissy bar/pillion back rest
? Fat rear and front tires, heavy duty
? Full fenders
? Polishes alloy wheels
? Proven PY150 engine
? Inverted forks
? "Harley"-type air cleaner
? Teardrop fuel tank
? Cruiser chrome mirrors
? Single, large round headlight
? LED turn signals/flashers
? Low cruiser seat

The RA1 is an excellent bike for in-town cruising in style with its unique design, low and comfortable, easy on the wallet to buy, feed and maintain. This is a new vision of what a small, modest-budget motorcycle can be, and no doubt will start a new trend in small bike styling. And like all Cyclone motorcycles, the quality game has been upped. One close look at an RA1 proves this is an impressive smaller machine.

For more details visit: Cyclone RA1 on ADVMotoRD.com

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Nice looking bike. I'd purchase one in an instant if it wasn't for the smallish engine. I prefer to sit up straight when I ride so the styling of the RA1 is exactly what I would be interested in. I already have something to scoot around town on so am looking for a comfortable ride for longer trips that has the power to hold its own on the autopistas.

The RX3 just doesn't whisper my name like the RA1 does. Maybe one day the RA1 will come with a 250cc engine option. Until then we'll just keep dreaming.

Much success CobraBoy

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
Nice looking bike. I'd purchase one in an instant if it wasn't for the smallish engine. I prefer to sit up straight when I ride so the styling of the RA1 is exactly what I would be interested in. I already have something to scoot around town on so am looking for a comfortable ride for longer trips that has the power to hold its own on the autopistas.

The RX3 just doesn't whisper my name like the RA1 does. Maybe one day the RA1 will come with a 250cc engine option. Until then we'll just keep dreaming.

Much success CobraBoy
The RX3 is dyno'd at 84mph before leaving the factory.

Joe Berk, Marketing Guru at CSC---the U.S. importer---wrote a book about long-distance touring on the RX3, a 5000 mile jaunt through the Baja Peninsula. It's available on Amazon: 5000 Miles at 8000 RPM

The RX3 holds it's own on the autopista. But if you really need more speed, a simple sprocket change will pump up the top end.

We'll be exhibiting the bikes around the country this spring. If you'd like a personal invitation fill out the info form on the website and we'll keep you in the loop. We hope to exhibit the new RC3 sport bike at the time.

BTW: I have confirmation that there will be a 450cc RX3 variant available in late 2017-early 2018.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
problem w/the chinese imports is the lack of skilled mechanics ....no not lack of mechanics but skilled/factory trained...lessons...how to //what to check for on a new machine...proper torque on handlebars pegs...etc...u buy a machine and 3 weeks later a signal lamp is loose...not supposed to happen ...
spending for prep work...
in u.s. and prop elsewhere the dealer charges for 2-3 hours of assembly. checking /going over from front to rear....a checklist/....
motorcycles are built to exacting standards...which of course warrant their prices and help w/ resale values...
world economy...it is dwindling....meaning alot of peeps not going to spend 10-12K$us on new jap machines..but thet can buy new cheaper here....
i ride,,,,here there everywhere...if i go somewhere else i want to rent....
owned plenty of machines and still do...unless im going 50 miles /20 miles or more //i use a small 125cc machine...fun econ.. safty built in not on...i dont trust a car....when i ride...
biking to me is still a huge enjoyment in my life...
in fact i will be very happy to test one of them for u.....
as long as i have unlimited miles

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
problem w/the chinese imports is the lack of skilled mechanics ....no not lack of mechanics but skilled/factory trained...lessons...how to //what to check for on a new machine...proper torque on handlebars pegs...etc...u buy a machine and 3 weeks later a signal lamp is loose...not supposed to happen ...
spending for prep work...
in u.s. and prop elsewhere the dealer charges for 2-3 hours of assembly. checking /going over from front to rear....a checklist/....
motorcycles are built to exacting standards...which of course warrant their prices and help w/ resale values...
world economy...it is dwindling....meaning alot of peeps not going to spend 10-12K$us on new jap machines..but thet can buy new cheaper here....
i ride,,,,here there everywhere...if i go somewhere else i want to rent....
owned plenty of machines and still do...unless im going 50 miles /20 miles or more //i use a small 125cc machine...fun econ.. safty built in not on...i dont trust a car....when i ride...
biking to me is still a huge enjoyment in my life...
in fact i will be very happy to test one of them for u.....
as long as i have unlimited miles
We deliver a fully prepped, inspected machine included in the price. We've been maintaing motorcycles to exacting standards for many years.

Cyclones come with a 2 year parts / one year labor warranty excluding parts that are engineered to wear (brake pads, clutch disks and tires.)

Additionally, every Cyclone machine comes with a full shop manual, and were engineered for easy maintenance. We also have fuel injection diagnostic computers available for the RX3 and RC3, and all dealers will stock one. Loaners will be available for direct buyers.

The new Cyclone brand is like Toyota's Lexus brand: high quality, well engineered but still at a modest price compared to competitors.

Cyclones are not "typical" Chinese motos. A first-hand look will prove this to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.