Gout

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Any ideas what Dominican foods cause gout? I do not drink or smoke or eat shellfish. Something my wife makes is causing it and we cannot figure out.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I also suffer from severe gout.........
I take 300mg Alopurinal daily as a Uric acid reducer, this helps a lot.
Fresh Mango's and fresh coconut juice also reduce Uric acid.

What not to consume.........
1. All gravies that are used when Dominicans cook their different meats..........
2. Soda, especially Coca Cola and Pepsi are a killer........
3. All meats, white chicken meat is the least problematic.....
4. Believe it or not, most fish are bad, salmon the least........

There are many many foods we cannot eat..........
Fresh veggies and most fruits are normally a safe bet........

I also started a thread about this topic a few months ago with quite a few good replies..

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I also suffer from severe gout.........
I take 300mg Alopurinal daily as a Uric acid reducer, this helps a lot.
Fresh Mango's and fresh coconut juice also reduce Uric acid.

What not to consume.........
1. All gravies that are used when Dominicans cook their different meats..........
2. Soda, especially Coca Cola and Pepsi are a killer........
3. All meats, white chicken meat is the least problematic.....
4. Believe it or not, most fish are bad, salmon the least........

There are many many foods we cannot eat..........
Fresh veggies and most fruits are normally a safe bet........

I also started a thread about this topic a few months ago with quite a few good replies..
great will try and find it. I am tired of this getting shots in the feet

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016

can't read the first but the 2'nd yes. Thank you. I know a lot about Gout but one thing I do know is you can never learn enough. I just don't want my wife giving me the shots, I think she enjoys them. I need to get alipuronal. I used to use that and forgot the name. I am on these Dominican prescriptions I never heard of. They work fast but no lasting.

Yes even the air from the ceiling fan can make your toes hurt

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Popeye, I feel for you. I've suffered from gout in the past cause I ate beef a lot back in the homeland. I've been here a few years now. The first two years my symptoms seemed to decrease. At that time I attributed it to the warm climate here as I come from a wet cold climate. Whether that has anything to do with decreased pain I don't know. Could be I couldn't eat a good steak here five times a week.
However my bouts decreased in severity over the next few years and I found that if I felt a bout coming on occasionally
I would pop 100mg of Diclofenac. Works within 30 min.

I haven't suffered a bout in at least two years.

If you haven't tried Diclofenac perhaps it's an option.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have suffered from gout for many years and the only thing that has worked is daily Alopurinal 300 mg.

Beer/alcohol, beans, coffee, aspirin can be great aggravators of gout.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Popeye, I purchase my Alopurinol 300mg from a Pharmacy chain here in Santiago called Farmacia Jorge SRL..........
Every other pharmacy charged 14 pesos per pill, they charge 10, stock #0 12248 01785 6
Main #809-582-2887

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
ok I am going to get the Alopurinol and cut out the gravies, beans, pork and cokes. and see what happens. thanks everyone. I hate giving up cokes. I have given up everything else mentioned

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Citrus fruit and juice can aggravate gout. I take Colcrys. The good thing about it is that you only take it when you first notice an attack comin. Usually 1 or 2 alleviates the problem.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
popeye, tell me about it, the hardest item for me to give up is Coca Cola, I still take a swig every now and then.........
Followed by a few glasses of water to dilute........:ermm: