Importing a used car.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
PR is Puerto Rico and is part of the USA. There is no restriction on an American taking anything legal from one part of the USA to another. I have had 2 different people one of them on this board claim that they knew someone who did it.
Der Fish
I know someone who claims to have has seen a real UFO.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
He did not say that. He meant from PR to DR.

If you know someone from the board who has done it, why ask us? PM that member....it's as easy as that.

What do we know anyway? Certainly not that the vehicle must be inspected by PR authorities, that it must be registered in Puerto Rico and not any state in the US to be allowed on the ferry, that you must show proof of insurance for the vehicle in the DR, that the vehicle must have the undercarriage flushed, that you are not allowed to load the vehicle with anything other than personal items, that you must have the title in hand and it must be a title issued by PR DMV and......

Go ahead and then tell us how well it worked for you....after all you know someone from the board who did it....right?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NO, Read more carefully before you attack. I said someone on this board said he knew someone who had done it. Not that he had done it.
Der Fish

But the rest of the post is the type of info i had been hoping to see. THanks.
Washing the bottom of a vehicle is something I had forgotten. Crossing from One central American country to another theyhad to spray the uunderside of my motorcycle and charge me about $20.00 12 years ago to cross.

Jan 9, 2004
NO, Read more carefully before you attack. I said someone on this board said he knew someone who had done it. Not that he had done it.
Der Fish

But the rest of the post is the type of info i had been hoping to see. THanks.
Washing the bottom of a vehicle is something I had forgotten. Crossing from One central American country to another theyhad to spray the uunderside of my motorcycle and charge me about $20.00 12 years ago to cross.

I stand corrected then.

So PM that person that knew someone and have them put you in touch with the person who claims to have done it.

If this were easy and cheap, every Dominican car dealer would be bringing stuff in registered in Puerto Rico.

Let us know how well it works.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
You're gonna pay 40%+ old car penalty on the value Adaunas assigns as the value, most likely the 2010 model year.

Using the adaunas online valuation tool, the total fees for a 4cyl., 2WD 2010 Suzuki Gran Vitara is around RD$125,000 plus shipping costs.

That is not bad considering what you would pay for a vehicle in DR. If you are getting one, make sure it's 4-cylinder and has 4-doors. You could recoup all your money when selling it to a concho driver.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I've seen high end vehicles here and there with Puerto Rico plates.

And what's to stop someone from sticking some old Dominican plates on a car here?

The one impediment I see is insurance, I have no idea how you'd insure a car that doesn't have proper placas.

But given that the tax on nicer cars is often more than what the car is worth, it may make sense to give it a shot, especially since selling a cars that aren't in one's name, or are sin papeles isn't uncommon.

Jan 9, 2004
I thought I read (some time ago) that one could NOT bring in a car over 5 years old, PERIOD.
Has this changed or was I misinformed before?

The 5 year rule is still effect for everything except commercial trucks, buses, construction equipment, antique autos etc.

At one time, you could bring them in over 5 years old by paying a penalty....not anymore.

Every year the used auto dealers lobby to extend the 5 year rule to up to 7 and 10 years old.

It is a fluid situation.

Salvage vehicles are not allowed, but reconstructed salvage are...if....they have been registered/driven outside the DR for the past year.

And just when you think you know the rules.....they change them without telling anyone.....until they are ready. Helps keep the flow of propina's coming for all those cars in port in violation of the "new" rules.

I have brought several cars in......and its different every time.....even when the "rules" have not changed.

Bienvenido Republica Dominicana.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I've seen high end vehicles here and there with Puerto Rico plates.

And what's to stop someone from sticking some old Dominican plates on a car here?

That surely wouldn't get you thru aduana, would it? As a kid a couple of times I went to a junk yard and liberated a plate that still had 3 or 4 months to go on it and stuck it on a junker, but it has been 50 years since i tried a trick like that!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
That only works if you switch the plates on the ferry, before docking

So I swipe the plate off my old dead Pollito and buy a car in Miami and put it on a ship to Puerto Rico and then the ferry will let me aboard? Then sometime during the voyage I switch plates on the car? I doubt it would work. Sometime ask me about m problems with my motorcycle in Panama! It was legal, but the paper work required is a lot more complicated than that!