Gringo Round Up in Sosua ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Got your lawyer on speed dial ? Oh but they probably take your phone too. You went in with an iPhone 7 came out with an Huawei flip phone. I think the ones who should worry are those who own homes or businesses who over stayed their time by years. I bet the overstay fee recently went up. Last time out they wanted to charge me because of my passport date stamps. I had my residencia and cedula in hand and only when I raised my voice did they give up. They really only want the money, cash, preferably paid behind a screen.
As Steve Martin said in 'The Jerk' : "Ah it's a profit deal"
[video]VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TobEiGVwoI8[/video][/VIDEO]

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
I personally saw them arrest the gringa owner of Red Elephant restaurant yesterday at about 2:30. She was taken away in the immigration truck. The two sisters coffee shop , 2 stores away, told me that immigration police has a list with people who are here illegally and seeking them out. They told me that the gringa restaurant owner has been here since 2011 illegally.

Saw that too. She's back at work today. FYI

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why the surprise? There have been warnings for many months.

Are round-ups happening anywhere else besides Sosua?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Saw that too. She's back at work today. FYI

Did they shake her down for $$ pesos ? that is what this Smells like . IF they in fact are releasing people the next day.??.

maybe they realize that shaking down Haitians is not profitable, so they are now advancing to this ..

but that is just speculation..

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Why the surprise? There have been warnings for many months.

Are round-ups happening anywhere else besides Sosua?

No. This has nothing to do with simply overstaying your tourist card, but everything to do with staying over + 1 other intangible that only those involved are fully aware of. This is straight from a friend of mine who works for Immigration. I'm having lunch with him right now. Nothing further, and I'm out of this thread, so as not to annoy anybody further. Have a nice day.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Did they shake her down for $$ pesos ? that is what this Smells like . IF they in fact are releasing people the next day.??.

maybe they realize that shaking down Haitians is not profitable, so they are now advancing to this ..

but that is just speculation..

Ooooh that smell
Can't you smell that smell
Ooooh that smell

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
They did a similar shake down in Costambar! One restaurant owner taken, back a few hours later after paying a "fine"

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
My cedula has passed its expiration date.

The renovation is in process so I carry around copies of my personal account pages at Migración (DGM) that indicate that.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No. This has nothing to do with simply overstaying your tourist card, but everything to do with staying over + 1 other intangible that only those involved are fully aware of. This is straight from a friend of mine who works for Immigration. I'm having lunch with him right now. Nothing further, and I'm out of this thread, so as not to annoy anybody further. Have a nice day.
So particular individuals are being targeted? This isn't a wide net?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Five pages of bla bla bla. Bs

What? This is important to a lot of people here.

They were in Cabarete today and I saw at least one gringo on their bus. It looked as if they also put a big moto in their pick-up. A friend said they were looking in all the restaurants on the beach and seemed to be looking for someone in particular - or perhaps a certain type.

Overall, it doesn't help to make tourists feel comfortable to enjoy their stay and return to spend more money!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Immigration is looking for some individuals on an INTERPOL list. I believe a reward is offered for some so aggressive maneuvers may be warranted. My info may be wrong. But it comes from a guy wearing a Lt. Colonel outfit.

This sounds like a distinct possibility.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Maybe they SHAKING the Bushes , and see who RUNS to the Airport .. and they catch em there ..

The DID take my fingerprints on the Scanner last time around. ( is that even Legal ? Voluntary ?)
that has NEVER EVER happened to me before... they got ALL my prints now .. im not too comfortable with that either .

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006

This is purely speculation but appears they are targeting overstays who are involved in business activities.

The "Tourist Card" is valid for 30 days, but it validity during those 30 days are conditional. And just like in any country if you overstay your tourist card, visa, etc. that pretty much makes you an illegal alien- "undocumented immigrant" for you politically correct folks- subject to arrest and deportation.

"Law 199-67 establishes that the right to the Tourist Card is automatically lost if the beneficiary engages in lucrative activities while in Dominican territory.

"Foreigners wishing to enter the Dominican Republic for business purposes shall apply for a Business Visa, with one or multiple entries, at one of the many diplomatic and consulate offices overseas."

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My cedula has passed its expiration date.

The renovation is in process so I carry around copies of my personal account pages at Migración (DGM) that indicate that.

You will pay a fine on renewal

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I live here as well and I saw it. I was there in front of Hotel Orchidee watching them. Why are you calling me a liar?

it always amazes me how guys who VISIT Sosua , know who is who on here , sometimes better than those Live in town.
.. lol
cuz almost everybody knows you. perfect example.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Now people are getting nervous, why not make sure your papers are in order!

Of course when you can not get your papers in order it's "purge-time"

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
It don't make sense wasting scarce police resources rounding up foreigners that are not a crutch on the government. They spend money and pay for services that add to the economy. I could see if the problem was taking up resources used for the Dominicans. What a waste of time! It has to be to extort money from those that are deficient with their paper work. I cannot comprehend any other reason for the raid.

Status
Not open for further replies.