Blue Mountain Coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Can anyone tell me if there is any blue mountain coffee available..........Jamaican............Santiago area????

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Can anyone tell me if there is any blue mountain coffee available..........Jamaican............Santiago area????

You are not a fan of the local coffee?

I think it's superb. I use a 2-cup greca and foam 1% milk and life looks pretty good.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015

I think it's superb. I use a 2-cup greca and foam 1% milk and life looks pretty good.
Same here, minus the milk. Our friends in the campo grow a little bit of coffee and are always happy to share. Dominican coffee doesn't have the hipster-based fame of some other countries, but I find it delicious.

Sent from cigar country via smoke signal...

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Of course there are many better coffees in the world. Actuallly we are trying different brands now, not that there are that many, and we like Pilon more than SD.
And the bloody greca....filtered is better imho.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Prior to the coffee rust, coffee from the Juncalito environs was exported to Jamaica to be processed as "Blue Mountain Coffee" because jamaica does not have the quantity of high-end quality to meet the demand.

Coffee from the Juncalito area is among the highest quality on the planet with entire crops sold out years in advance.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I believe that ,out `Dominican` coffee is not Dominican at all. I think that they only provide 10% of their own beans, the rest is imported. Largely from Vietnam

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Cobraboy, the best coffee we ever had was the Olivo coffee.  We miss it. 

Another year, my BIL roasted some beans they grew up the mountain in Ocoa
, outstanding.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Speaking of coffee beans, I have only seen Cafe Santo Domingo and Induban beans, not Monte Alto or Mama Ines (sp??). Any other good beans out there?  What happened to Monte Alto?  

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen monte alto and mama ines in el nacional in santiago, the "new" one. they had good selection of good dominican beans.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

Meems....... love local coffee, drinking Santo Domingo as I type........variety is the spice of life, in Many things.....if you ever can, mix blue mountain half and half with kona...........Doc...........

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
I believe that ,out `Dominican` coffee is not Dominican at all. I think that they only provide 10% of their own beans, the rest is imported. Largely from Vietnam
You can get it in the campo. Many mountain communities have a few folks who grow it. There's usually a local that'll roast it for you too. Good stuff - either black, or with a little cacao, nutmeg, or cinnamon added.

Sent from cigar country via smoke signal...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cobraboy said it all...

There is, however, Café Melo, which is sometimes available. Their coffee is truly fantastic, but supply is very limited. I have seen it in Bravo at, like, RD$320! and it flies off of the shelves..

I think we are at least a year or two for the new crops to appear on Dominican mountainsides. It is a shame, because the "real" Dominican coffees are far superior to most others...

And, like AE says, home roasted coffee beans are truly a dream come true...

HB

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Monte Alto: you can find both the organic and standard versions at most Santo Domingo Supermercados Nacional. It costs a few pesos more per pound than Cafe Santo Domingo but it is very good. They use a darker style of roasting similar to the so-called "French Roast" branding.
Speaking of coffee beans, I have only seen Cafe Santo Domingo and Induban beans, not Monte Alto or Mama Ines (sp??). Any other good beans out there?  What happened to Monte Alto?  

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Cobraboy said it all...

There is, however, Café Melo, which is sometimes available. Their coffee is truly fantastic, but supply is very limited. I have seen it in Bravo at, like, RD$320! and it flies off of the shelves..

I think we are at least a year or two for the new crops to appear on Dominican mountainsides. It is a shame, because the "real" Dominican coffees are far superior to most others...

And, like AE says, home roasted coffee beans are truly a dream come true...

HB

320 pesos per pound for great coffee is a gift, given the fact that better grades of Blue Mountain run you 2500 pesos per pound.

tartesos

Dec 7, 2011
320 pesos per pound for great coffee is a gift, given the fact that better grades of Blue Mountain run you 2500 pesos per pound.

One of the things I miss the most of home is the coffee, drinking coffee in the mornings with my mother are some of my best memories, and are part of my "happy place" I go to often.

I now can drive 2 hrs and stock up on some Dominican coffee. :)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Prior to the coffee rust, coffee from the Juncalito environs was exported to Jamaica to be processed as "Blue Mountain Coffee" because jamaica does not have the quantity of high-end quality to meet the demand.

Coffee from the Juncalito area is among the highest quality on the planet with entire crops sold out years in advance.

I miss my coffee from up your way. Been so long I forgot the name. I still buy Monte Alto organic.

By the way, Cafe Santo Domingo has a "best of the best" brand of Cafe Santo Domingo now called "Caracolillo". It comes in a white and orange package.

It won't blow your socks off, but I think it's better than Cafe Santo Domingo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.