Great New Rest. in Sosua and Caberete

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
My tips:

Orchidee, Casa Valeria, Don Andres - for the food, atmosphere and service. Probably I like Orchidee best of those when it comes to the food itself.
New Café - for the beef tenderloin with pepper corn sauce :).
El Rancho - some good food. I like to go here for breakfast sometimes also
New garden restaurant - for the pizza.
Baileys - for the pizza and atmosphere
Casa Veintiuno - probably the best of them all

On my list to try is:

Midtown - have heard good things including in this thread
El Conde - Walked past many times and can see it is popular and will definitely try during next visit.
BBQ nights at Voramar, Don Andres is probably good value for the money so will try that as well.
Bliss in Cabarete
Parada tipica el choco - probably very good

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You will be happily surprised at Parada tipica el choco and el Conde. Two of our favorites along with Orchidee.

Bob K

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I just stopped in at El Conde to tell Nick that he is tearing up DR-1 with all these good words. Let him know! He & his staff work so hard, and sometimes it's just good to hear. Even if it is from DRones.

I ate there 2 nights when I was up last weekend and commented to Nick as well. The other thing about El Conde is that Nick has instilled some non D.R. customer service with the waitress staff. The 2 of them were very pleasant and very attentive.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I have never heard a bad thing about El Conde.. only extremely positive feedback.. my only regret is not going there yet , before one cant get a seat at this place .. ..its on the MUST DO short list for sure .

And Tilo and Andy are both my neighbors and very nice men, so in addition to both of them having good food, I want to support them in a neighborly way, too.

In a way, Nick is almost a victim of his own success. I was there for the extremely popular Friday Pie, and there wasn't a table to be had! I sat at the bar, which is not my favorite thing, but it was fine.

Jul 28, 2014
The restaurant is pretty decent in Hotel El Rancho, across from Fraggle rock on Calle sin Salida, I really like the Red curry there, and also the Curry from Orchidee that was previously mentioned...

Also very notable:

El Conde
Midtown
Scotch and Sirloin - Pricey, but I like their variety
Ottimo
Casa Valeria - He's had some growing pains after the reno., but food is still good
Michaels - in Los Caharamicos over looking Sosua Bay

If you want to include places on Sosua Beach, that could be another topic of interest, not a place I'd go for dinner, but some places have good individual items, i.e. The Treehouse has good chicken wings...

Last edited:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
And Tilo and Andy are both my neighbors and very nice men, so in addition to both of them having good food, I want to support them in a neighborly way, too.

In a way, Nick is almost a victim of his own success. I was there for the extremely popular Friday Pie, and there wasn't a table to be had! I sat at the bar, which is not my favorite thing, but it was fine.

yeagh, i was not joking when i said " before one cant even get a seat or a table".. I hear NOTHING but really GOOD things
this place is THE new up and coming spot to be , eating & enjoying good food... or already is ..
did not know Andy was your neighbor, small world.. please tell him the NJ guy with the morena novia, who speaks really bad Schwaben dialect German says a warm Hello and see him pronto ... lol
His peppercorn Schnitzel is off the charts btw.. i know you dont eat the pork dishes , just saying..
If only he would serve Erdinger Weissbier though, in proper glass , they do have it at Playero now.

really enjoying this food thread.

Jul 28, 2014
yeagh, i was not joking when i said " before one cant even get a seat or a table".. I hear NOTHING but really GOOD things
this place is THE new up and coming spot to be , eating & enjoying good food... or already is ..
did not know Andy was your neighbor, small world.. please tell him the NJ guy with the morena novia, who speaks really bad Schwaben dialect German says a warm Hello and see him pronto ... lol
His peppercorn Schnitzel is off the charts btw.. i know you dont eat the pork dishes , just saying..
If only he would serve Erdinger Weissbier though, in proper glass , they do have it at Playero now.

really enjoying this food thread.

You can also Facebook message him, he typically gets back to me quick for when I just want his take out, Taco special night is generally really busy, so I just get them to go (Fish tacos are awesome there)!

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
We were at El Conde last night for curry with my family and friends, delicious as always. If you like something extra spicy then the red Thai shrimp is a must...and the heat level is exactly as a red curry should be. The butter chicken is amazing, the naan bread is delicious. There were 8 of us and everybody left very very content. I have had so many different dinners there and there is nothing I could complain about, great food, great host, great waitresses and great prices!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
My new go-to restaurant is Nelson's Bistro Lounge located in front of Super Pola on the property where you see the kids castle. 8oz burgers are the best I've had here, thick crust pizza like back in Canada is by far my favourite on the island. Salmon and chicken cordon blue are excellent, cheese sticks in marinara sauce, chicken strips and quesadilla are all good. I'm there 2-3 a week. Great quiet location. Excellent coffee and breakfast as well.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
My new go-to restaurant is Nelson's Bistro Lounge located in front of Super Pola on the property where you see the kids castle. 8oz burgers are the best I've had here, thick crust pizza like back in Canada is by far my favourite on the island. Salmon and chicken cordon blue are excellent, cheese sticks in marinara sauce, chicken strips and quesadilla are all good. I'm there 2-3 a week. Great quiet location. Excellent coffee and breakfast as well.
I agree it is a great restaurant,it is owned by the owner of Playero. Expensive as hell though.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I agree it is a great restaurant,it is owned by the owner of Playero. Expensive as hell though.

Cheese and pepperoni pizza is 400 pesos...size of a medium. 8oz super burger and fries is 350.....imported steak 900 pesos. They charge both taxes though so it hurts the final price. I don't mind paying for quality food and ambience.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Cheese and pepperoni pizza is 400 pesos...size of a medium. 8oz super burger and fries is 350.....imported steak 900 pesos. They charge both taxes though so it hurts the final price. I don't mind paying for quality food and ambience.
350 plus 28% equals 450 pesos,that's high even for a great burger but yes the food is outstanding,I am a regular there.

web

Nov 5, 2005
Midtown has great food, atmosphere,staff and is very reasonably priced. Hope you check it out. 

I like the hotel there and the administrator but the girl behind the bar was rude upon one visit. I walked up and asked her if she knew where the administrator was. She points and says back there somewhere while sitting on her stool. I asked can you please get her for me. She was like you're the one that needs her get her yourself.

I was like ok thanks a lot for all your help. Wasn't going to ruin my day maybe she was having a bad one.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Going to Sosua this weekend, and looking for a restaurant which may not quite be considered "fine dining", but kind of approaches that level. Someplace where I can order a dry martini, and not have to explain to the bartender how its made.
Excellent customer service is a must. I realize this might be asking a bit much for Sosua, but I figure., nothing beats a failure but a try.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
As a fellow martini drinker (Tanqueray 10} I just tell them I want only Gin shaken like a martini and in a martini glass with olives. If you tell anyone here you want a dry martini you will be saturated with vermouth.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Going to Sosua this weekend, and looking for a restaurant which may not quite be considered "fine dining", but kind of approaches that level. Someplace where I can order a dry martini, and not have to explain to the bartender how its made.
Excellent customer service is a must. I realize this might be asking a bit much for Sosua, but I figure., nothing beats a failure but a try.

Excellent CS doesn't exist.  I choose comedors like Come en la Familia or cafeterias like baileys, no waiters thank you