Great New Rest. in Sosua and Caberete

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
The more I thought about it you are correct they are hand cut...sorry and sorry nick

Bob K

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Any chance you can provide more info on this place?

I will look for Yanets and this place.

Turn off the main road as if you were going into CMC, but keep going down the hill. The road is not good so go slowly. As the road turns to the left, the restaurant will be on your right immediately before an adjacent location that sell plants. When you sit in the restaurant , it is like you are in "the campo". Just about all of the local DeLancer Cable Company staff eats there every day, so get there early for lunch.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
What with the standing over you after they deliver the bill? I even had a waitress point to the tip descriptions on the bill. It was written out what a 10%, 15% and 20% tip was....actually calculated and typed onto the bottom of the bill.

She pointed to it in case I missed it when I read the bill. Of course it was under the ITBIS and Impuesto.

When she left, she gathered with 2 other servers and started talking to them about it. After I told her uno momento por favor....wth.

I guess tact is not in the vernacular.

I believe that the real purpose is to get you to leave the tip in cash. That way they get it immediately.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
Turn off the main road as if you were going into CMC, but keep going down the hill. The road is not good so go slowly. As the road turns to the left, the restaurant will be on your right immediately before an adjacent location that sell plants. When you sit in the restaurant , it is like you are in "the campo". Just about all of the local DeLancer Cable Company staff eats there every day, so get there early for lunch.

I assume you mean the place is rustic when you state 'like you are in the campo'. When I was in Boca Chica, DR, a while back, I went to a rustic restaurant that had chickens walking around in the dining area that was outside. They had good BBQ beef ribs though.

I'm looking forward to checking these places out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I assume you mean the place is rustic when you state 'like you are in the campo'. When I was in Boca Chica, DR, a while back, I went to a rustic restaurant that had chickens walking around in the dining area that was outside. They had good BBQ beef ribs though.

I'm looking forward to checking these places out.

Yes, it is a "real Dominican style rustic" place. And that is not a bad thing in this case. You really don't feel like you are in Sosua.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Had crab cakes at el Conde last night....to die for. Made with real crab and the best I have had since last trip to Maryland.

Bob K

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Forgot to mention a restaurant I visited in Sosua during my Deutschefest the other weekend. It was the place attached to the Ahnvee resort (don't remember the name). Expensive as all get out. Had the churrasco which tasted off. Mentioned this to the Matre'd; He said, its because the steak was "aged".
I saw no point arguing with him.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
It's not new or fancy but Germaina (sp) is really good, The Lady cooks your diner herself. It's like A German Grandmother is cooking for you. The Rest. is almost across the street from Ahnvee. I've never had a bad meal there. It's kind of like, Mom can I have this. She doesn't start cooking till you tell her and she will make adjustments for you. She speaks English, Spanish, and guess what German. I lived in Germany for 5 years. It's as close to real as you can get. She does all the cooking herself, so if you have a big group it may take a while.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Forgot to mention a restaurant I visited in Sosua during my Deutschefest the other weekend. It was the place attached to the Ahnvee resort (don't remember the name). Expensive as all get out. Had the churrasco which tasted off. Mentioned this to the Matre'd; He said, its because the steak was "aged".

Aged doesnt smell or taste bad, never! Charlatan..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

If you want great churrasco and at a good price, try Ali's Surf Camp in ProCab, Cabarete.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
I went to Jolly Rogers for lunch today around noon. The place was practically empty. I ordered a daily special and waited...and waited....

Some expats sat down at a nearby table, ordered beers, and became very noisy. I looked for the two waitresses and it appeared that the two were having lunch.

At this point, I left Jolly Rogers. Noisy group of expats and slow service were more than I could bear.

El Toro Negro - Conch was tough, otherwise food and service were excellent

Playa Cericina - Excellent

Bologna - Average (cake for dessert course was served with a spoon rather than a fork)

Taverna El Conde - Excellent

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I went to Jolly Rogers for lunch today around noon. The place was practically empty. I ordered a daily special and waited...and waited....

Some expats sat down at a nearby table, ordered beers, and became very noisy. I looked for the two waitresses and it appeared that the two were having lunch.

At this point, I left Jolly Rogers. Noisy group of expats and slow service were more than I could bear.

El Toro Negro - Conch was tough, otherwise food and service were excellent

Playa Cericina - Excellent

Bologna - Average (cake for dessert course was served with a spoon rather than a fork)

Taverna El Conde - Excellent

Love the brutal Honestly of your Review ...thanks

Have to differ with you on Bologna though. what did you eat there that was average ?

in fact please share the specific meals at the other places, as this does help quite a bit .

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

The Jolly Jumper is a dive filled with smoke and drunks. It's probably better that you didn't get to order food, this way you didn't get sick. The place is always empty now.