Yet another chef knife casualty..

Apr 7, 2014
My Dominican wife will open a can with a knife faster than any electric can opener. I keep waiting for her to cut herself. Been 12 years and not a nick. I gave up waiting. Asked hey why she never cuts herself. She laughed and said I have been doing this all my life. I bled a lot as a kid but there was never a can opener in our home.
Poor analogy. She also used to live without electricity as a kid but now she has it. You dont see her clamoring for the dull campo life. So leave the knives for cutting and use the can-opener or get out.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

May 29, 2006
The Swing Away can opener is one of the few innovations mi esposa really likes. The crappy ones here are worse than using a knife. Aside from Carnation, the only canned food we get is corn. I brought down a peeler this trip and I'm curious if she'll take to it. She of course had never seen one before.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Swing away opener, good idea, thanks. I have never found the attitude of do it my way or get out to produce anything but bad results.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i learnt how to open cans when my age was still in single digits, using swedish can opener. americans may know it as P-38. it boggles my brain when i read stories here about adults unable to comprehend how to use simple modern day can openers. i don't know if it's mental retardation or simple laziness. very weird.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
This is what we had in the house.

Yep. Still do!!!!!!!!

opener.jpg

Apr 7, 2014
i learnt how to open cans when my age was still in single digits, using swedish can opener. americans may know it as P-38. it boggles my brain when i read stories here about adults unable to comprehend how to use simple modern day can openers. i don't know if it's mental retardation or simple laziness. very weird.
Laziness. On both parts. The bonehead who breaks the expensive knife and the bonehead who lets it happen but comes online to complain.
Ultimatums work everywhere but their relationship?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
To be honest , those Electric Can openers are quite disgusting . esp if they are mounted on the wall.. take a good look at yours if you have one hanging for years . So I tried to wash mine once with Water and Bleach.. was very careful.. but somehow water got inside. Yup,, damn thing started to smoke and almost caught fire . It immediately went in the garbage, and never used one again.. Have 3 nice hand operated ones now .
imo , Hand can openers are def the way to go.. Little bit of exercise and you can rinse it off after every use, and then throw it in some Bleach water of the dishwasher periodically..

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
YouTube is full of videos of opening a can with spoons even bare hands..................

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
To be honest , those Electric Can openers are quite disgusting . esp if they are mounted on the wall.. take a good look at yours if you have one hanging for years . So I tried to wash mine once with Water and Bleach.. was very careful.. but somehow water got inside. Yup,, damn thing started to smoke and almost caught fire . It immediately went in the garbage, and never used one again.. Have 3 nice hand operated ones now .
imo , Hand can openers are def the way to go.. Little bit of exercise and you can rinse it off after every use, and then throw it in some Bleach water of the dishwasher periodically..

to my way of thinking, the electric can opener is emblematic of the American mind. everything has to be taken to ridiculous excesses. i have a can opener i bought in La Sirena for 400 pesos. yup..less than 10 bucks. it opens cans like cuting butter. why anyone would need to find a way to make something better is a bewilderment.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
A spoon would suffice.

lol

Try telling that to a Dominican lady with fancy nails. :)

The funny thing is , they are always in such a RUSH to open those cans.. even if the Recipe does not Call for the ingredient until minutes later .. Like condensed milk, or olives, whatever . that can will be sitting there Open, when they could have just asked " hey can you open that for me"
I dont get it . cant figure it out ..
I guess they dont want us men anywhere NEAR " their" Kitchen while they doing their thing ..

May 29, 2006
I brought down a couple P38s. Better than a knife but too easy to lose even with leash on it. Lasted about four months.