canadian dead and another one injured in a moto accident

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Exactly my thoughts...........names seem to be Middle Eastern. Maybe they were here on an end of Ramadan trip ?

Do all Canadians have to be called Lumberjack Bill?

RIP and apologies to any family members reading this.

Matilda

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Do all Canadians have to be called Lumberjack Bill?

RIP and apologies to any family members reading this.

Matilda

No, I was just pointing out they were here just after the close of the Islamic fasting month. Yes if the family took offense I apologize too

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
Post deleted by moderator. Infraction given.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
Fulano2 , My thoughts exactly . At home they are called " New Canadians "

Last edited:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Fulano2 , My thoughts exactly . At home they are called " New Canadians "

You can't write anymore about this,a moderator felt free to catalogue me ( two degrees and four languages) as an ignorant already, but that's their right of course, no problem.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The guy who survived, currently in the public hospital in Puerto Plata, has posted on his FB. It is in French, so in case that is not one of the languages Fulano2 speaks, here is what he says.

This was their last conversation as they got onto the motorbike being driven by a Dominican
- "Amir! what a great story we are going to have to tell the others"
- "Wow this will be an unforgettable souvenir"

And then the crash and Amir died.

He speaks about how Amir was a great help to Syrian refugees fleeing the war and going to Canada, a country which has the grace to let them in.

My heart goes out to their parents. And to Fulano2 - ignorance is not about degrees (congratulations on your 2, I have 3) nor the languages you speak (congratulations on your 4, I speak 5), but about tolerance and understanding for human beings and the world we live in, irrespective of nationality, colour and religion. We cannot all live where we want to live, we cannot have the names people want us to have, we do not all worship the same God - but none of us deserve to be splattered all over the road in Puerto Plata at the age of 23 with our whole lives before us.

Matilda

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Thanks Matilda for this lecture.

Now please tell where did you know me before, suggesting I am not tolerant or understanding for other people?
Tolerance can be good but has a negative aspect, tolerance is not acceptance.
What moral virtue does tolerance have in our countries when you know those who tolerate you have a reason to need to tolerate you (I.e. they have a reason to dislike you but pretend not to)?
The necessity to tolerate each other in order to function only proves what’s truly in the heart and just how small hearts can be.

For instance, there are hundreds of examples in Europe nowadays where "refugees" from Syrië have tolerated the liberal way of life of northen Europe. Young women, short skirts, top-less bathing, gays walking hand in hand...why? Because of fear. Fear for the law. Now when there were not enough police on the 31 of december in 2015 in Cologne what happened? Don't have to tell you do I?
So it was clear that the so called refugees did not accept our standards and culture. No problem but stay there.
The way you write about tolerance shows an "air d'arrogance" . We are wiser, richer, more sofisticated and we have the mental power to tolerate you poor refugees. A lack of respect in fact.

I accept the fact that there are different cultures, I have to because they are there. Nevertheless I don not tolerate islam standards in my surrounding and as long as a moslim doesnt ACCEPT me and our liberal way of life I cannot call him paisano.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks Matilda for this lecture.

Now please tell where did you know me before, suggesting I am not tolerant or understanding for other people?
Tolerance can be good but has a negative aspect, tolerance is not acceptance.
What moral virtue does tolerance have in our countries when you know those who tolerate you have a reason to need to tolerate you (I.e. they have a reason to dislike you but pretend not to)?
The necessity to tolerate each other in order to function only proves what’s truly in the heart and just how small hearts can be.

For instance, there are hundreds of examples in Europe nowadays where "refugees" from Syrië have tolerated the liberal way of life of northen Europe. Young women, short skirts, top-less bathing, gays walking hand in hand...why? Because of fear. Fear for the law. Now when there were not enough police on the 31 of december in 2015 in Cologne what happened? Don't have to tell you do I?
So it was clear that the so called refugees did not accept our standards and culture. No problem but stay there.
The way you write about tolerance shows an "air d'arrogance" . We are wiser, richer, more sofisticated and we have the mental power to tolerate you poor refugees. A lack of respect in fact.

I accept the fact that there are different cultures, I have to because they are there. Nevertheless I don not tolerate islam standards in my surrounding and as long as a moslim doesnt ACCEPT me and our liberal way of life I cannot call him paisano.

You have lost me. I have no idea what nationality you are nor where you live, so that makes things somewhat confusing. I did not mean to lecture, I just feel sad for any loss of life irrespective of race, nationality or religion. Especially when it happens in my country, yes my country, the DR, even though I am British.

You are obviously anti Islam people and Muslims. I am not. i lived in a Muslim country for years. I accept all cultures and I do not know who you are for a Muslim not to accept you, nor do I know what "our liberal way of life" is as I have no idea which "our" you are referring to. I realise that there have been many terrorist attacks by Muslims as there have been by the IRA in the UK and by people with mental issues in the USA. That does still not make it right that a young man lost his life in Puerto Plata. This post was not about religion nor about personal feelings or prejudices. It was about the sadness that a young Canadian tourist lost his life and another was seriously injured.

Go ahead and don't tolerate Islam standards in your surroundings, wherever they are, but please don't blame this young man who lost his life for your opinion and (dare I say it) prejudice. ( where is AZB when you need him).

Mat

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Hi Matilde 
I am Dutch but live in the DR with a happy dominican wife and daughter.
By No means I wanted to show lack of respect for this young man, why should I, I didn't know him. I am in Holland and Belgium every five to six weeks and being there I see the constant problems our countries have with people who believe the islam is the only true religion and everybody should be as they are.
That is the problem...they tolerate us untill they get the power, at that moment they will show they didn't accept us as we are.
I hope, hope the best for Canada but also fear.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi Matilde 
I am Dutch but live in the DR with a happy dominican wife and daughter.
By No means I wanted to show lack of respect for this young man, why should I, I didn't know him. I am in Holland and Belgium every five to six weeks and being there I see the constant problems our countries have with people who believe the islam is the only true religion and everybody should be as they are.
That is the problem...they tolerate us untill they get the power, at that moment they will show they didn't accept us as we are.
I hope, hope the best for Canada but also fear.

And none of that has any place in this thread.  Not DR related in any way, shape or form.  Take your comments to the appropriate thread in Off Topic. 

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
OK I get it now. I know the issues Europe is having with refugees. Thank goodness I live in the DR.

Peace.

Matilda

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
And none of that has any place in this thread.  Not DR related in any way, shape or form.  Take your comments to the appropriate thread in Off Topic. 

I was about to write the same thing. This is not Off Topic. Nobody should be arguing intolerance in this thread. It is disrespectful to the subject.
My sympathies to this young man's family and friends. May he rest in eternal peace.