Question from American Airline one-way ticket tourists from US to DR

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I wonder if anyone recently flown from US to DR (as a "tourist") by American Airlines and had a one-way ticket. Did they question or demanded a return or on-ward ticket !?

I did this a few years back and they only checked that I didn't need a visa (that was fine with UK passport), but never concerned about return or on-ward ticket - although at that time I had a return with another airline back to Europe but never showed them and they never asked.

I have a trip coming up by AA from US to DR and not sure of my return for now so don't want to buy a ticket right now if I can avoid it.

(I know this is a requirement and different airlines deal with this differently, hence I am asking a specific question about AA. Also DR immigration never cares about this, so a non-issue there...)

P.S. No trolls about getting residency, not in this thread, pleeeease.... lol

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Very hard to answer....almost a luck of the draw situation.

Various solutions offered....
All tickets are cancellable for the first 24 hours...
You could buy the morning of or evening before travel and cancel once in the boarding area or in the DR

No accurate method of predicting AA's actions 

But Yes, it's the airlines responsibility to ensure a return ticket by all passengers 

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I wonder if anyone recently flown from US to DR (as a "tourist") by American Airlines and had a one-way ticket. Did they question or demanded a return or on-ward ticket !?

I did this a few years back and they only checked that I didn't need a visa (that was fine with UK passport), but never concerned about return or on-ward ticket - although at that time I had a return with another airline back to Europe but never showed them and they never asked.

I have a trip coming up by AA from US to DR and not sure of my return for now so don't want to buy a ticket right now if I can avoid it.

(I know this is a requirement and different airlines deal with this differently, hence I am asking a specific question about AA. Also DR immigration never cares about this, so a non-issue there...)

P.S. No trolls about getting residency, not in this thread, pleeeease.... lol

Why are you asking us? Call American Airlines and ask the question. Almost all airlines that I have used demand proof of a return ticket. You can buy a return ticket that you can later change or cancel. Not that difficult.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In Miami they have curbside check in. I fly all the time and use this to check in. I do have a DR Passport, but use my US one and have never been asked to see it. So if your airport has curbside check in use it. You can always buy a return ticket at the counter and cancel it for a refund when you land.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Hi Uzin,

I have flown numerous times on American Airlines from the U.S. to the D.R. with only a one way ticket and have never been asked about a return flight. The only time I was hassled for a return flight was on Jet Blue.... You should be fine.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
i can tell you someone who flew out of DR to Canada with air transat spotted the one way ticket and the person had to buy a return on the spot. This was 2 weeks ago.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Thanks for the replies, I think AA is quite lax about this as far as I know (i.e. on US to DR route), just wondered if anything had changed. And yes, if demanded I'll be prepared and buy a refundable ticket and cancel it after - though they always have the hidden small print and admin charges etc., so need to make sure it's fully refundable....

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I create a fake agenda with all the actual return flight information of a different airline. When asked I always pull it out of my backpack in an envelope, hand it to them and never ever a problem. All they care about is putting something in that particular field on their computer screen.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
AA has always asked to see my residency ,without exception . sometimes Jet Bue staff forget to ask .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for the replies, I think AA is quite lax about this as far as I know (i.e. on US to DR route), just wondered if anything had changed. And yes, if demanded I'll be prepared and buy a refundable ticket and cancel it after - though they always have the hidden small print and admin charges etc., so need to make sure it's fully refundable....

No need to worry.... buy the cheapest ....
all tickets may be cancelled within a 24 hr window.... no charge, no exceptions

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I have never done so with AA but I have purchased one-way tickets with both United and JetBlue and no one has ever asked me to purchase a return ticket.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a refundable round trip ticket and not use the return ticket but rather just buy acone way return when you are ready to leave.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
You can also be refused entrance in the DR without proof of return travel ( rare but can happen). Worst case is that you have to buy a return ticket at check-in. I am surprised so many have said they have had no problem given the fine cost for AA if you were not allowed entrance into the DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Heard too many horror stories, I wouldn't do it.

Buy a full fare return on your credit card and cancel for a refund when you arrive.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Read up on it.... it's a law..... 24 hr refund if booked 7 days prior to travel

Not just for the elite.....

24 hour airline refund law

24 hour airline refund law
http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog...fare-hold-and-24-hour-cancel-change-policies/

Interesting WW, from the article AA is a little different.

You still have to pay for the airfare, and then get a refund without penalty, except that American Airlines is a bit different in that it allows you to hold your seat and the fare for 24 hours without paying for it. On American, you should NOT pay for the fare, but merely choose the 24-hour hold option without payment. If you pay for the fare rather than holding it, you will be hit with a change/cancel fee on American! Also, American sells fare "add-ons" starting at $68 round-trip that allow you to change your flight for free at any time, and the add-on includes a checked bag round-trip and priority boarding. Something to consider.

So with AA if you put a ticket on 24 hour hold you actually don't have a paid for return ticket? si? If you buy a ticket other than fully refundable you might get screwed even within the first 24 hours? si?

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Wrong. I bought a ticket thru Orbitz and tried to cancel it 6 hours later and they told me I couldn't do so.

did they give a reason why not? I canceled quite a few tickets within 24 hour window, all bought through Orbitz.