Permanent residency renewal alert!

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Wow you guys beat this like a red step child let it go.... go look at the waves on the beach....

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Easy for you to say. Try driving all the way down to SD from the North Coast only to find out you're missing a document.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Had the same route but got it same day

Hi bob.

Mine was the same, but my laywer knew already what to do and I got mine actually the same day of the naturalization.

The envelope they tell you not to open, he opened it and made up a letter asking for change of status and most important a identity certification, this was the one I got the passport with since the junta takes longer to process everything. While I had my passport for months I got my Cedula in Karabacoa after 8 weeks.

So they certificate made the trick and you have to get it at the junta where you life, so I told them I life now in SDQ and they did everything there right away.

If they can give you this certificate here I’m they might speep up thing, I still have a copy if you need to see it.

Good luck

Well as many people find out the government can and will ask for additional paperwork or requirements on an inconsistent basis, and you have no choice but to go with the flow. I applied for my Dominican passport about ten days ago. I gave them all the paperwork as required according to the website, it was accepted and scaned at the passport office , picture taken, and I was told to return of the 27th to pick it up. When I arrived they told be I need to go to the junta and get all my paper from when I did my citizenship and have the Junta scan then. So multi-trips to different parts of the junta to get the papers , which they copied but didn't scan. I return to the passport office and the legal person said yes those are all the papers you need but now you need to take them to the junta in Jarabacoa and have them scan them into the system then phone her when that's complete. I asked why that operation couldn't just be done there and she said that they weren't allowed to do it that way. So another nightmare to accomplish a simple thing. I wife said relax, go with flow because there is no use getting angry about it. Two days later I am still ****ed. Maybe my passport will be ready in several months.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi bob.

Mine was the same, but my laywer knew already what to do and I got mine actually the same day of the naturalization.

The envelope they tell you not to open, he opened it and made up a letter asking for change of status and most important a identity certification, this was the one I got the passport with since the junta takes longer to process everything. While I had my passport for months I got my Cedula in Karabacoa after 8 weeks.

So they certificate made the trick and you have to get it at the junta where you life, so I told them I life now in SDQ and they did everything there right away.

If they can give you this certificate here I’m they might speep up thing, I still have a copy if you need to see it.

Good luck

Well I am off to the junta here in Jarabacoa this morning so we'll see what happens. I know most of the people there and my wife already phoned so they are waiting for me.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm pleased that we can have different opinions and disagree without resorting to angry and nasty insults against each other - something that I see all too often on this forum. Having said that, your points are valid and you may very well be correct. The one thing that we clearly both agree on is that migración website is confusing, contradictory, and sometimes inaccurate. Let''s see how things evolve in the coming months. I'm not going to spend any more time trying to decipher something that will probably change tomorrow anyway. I'll figure things out when it comes time for renewal.

I called DGM in Pto. Plata this morning and they confirmed that retirees with a pension(jubilado/pensionado RT-9) do not need to provide any kind of bank statements for a temporary renewal, so I think it can be safely said that the link we were discussing(#39) does not apply to all retirees - only retirees that are investors, but that's today. Who knows what the requirements will be when it comes time for you to renew(?).

Last edited:

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
I called DGM in Pto. Plata this morning and they confirmed that retirees with a pension(jubilado/pensionado RT-9) do not need to provide any kind of bank statements for a temporary renewal, so I think it can be safely said that the link we were discussing(#39) does not apply to all retirees - only retirees that are investors, but that's today. Who knows what the requirements will be when it comes time for you to renew(?).

Thanks for the info Cavok - that's great news. It confirms my decision to just continue with temporary residency renewals and keep my life simple. No one on this thread has offered any reason for doing any differently.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Thanks for the info Cavok - that's great news. It confirms my decision to just continue with temporary residency renewals and keep my life simple. No one on this thread has offered any reason for doing any differently.

My sentiments exactly. Maybe if in two years when I can apply for permanent it can all be done in Pto. Plata or Santiago, I might reconsider.

After speaking to the rep at DGM, I looked at the papers I was given when I deposited my doc and paid for the renewal. Attached to the receipt is an official checklist for my renewal(RT-9). Bank statements do not appear anywhere on the checklist.

Good thing I called to check on this because the rep told me the appointment dates were being changed and to call back for my new date. I called and am now being told to check the official website for the new appointment date and to download a copy of that and bring that with me to DGM in SD, otherwise, I might not be admitted. So, if I hadn't called this morning, it would probably have been a wasted trip to DGM in SD on Wednesday.

This is the problem with DGM. Things change on almost a daily basis. It's a total goat rope. Mass confusion reigns.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
My sentiments exactly. Maybe if in two years when I can apply for permanent it can all be done in Pto. Plata or Santiago, I might reconsider.

After speaking to the rep at DGM, I looked at the papers I was given when I deposited my doc and paid for the renewal. Attached to the receipt is an official checklist for my renewal(RT-9). Bank statements do not appear anywhere on the checklist.

Good thing I called to check on this because the rep told me the appointment dates were being changed and to call back for my new date. I called and am now being told to check the official website for the new appointment date and to download a copy of that and bring that with me to DGM in SD, otherwise, I might not be admitted. So, if I hadn't called this morning, it would probably have been a wasted trip to DGM in SD on Wednesday.

This is the problem with DGM. Things change on almost a daily basis. It's a total goat rope. Mass confusion reigns.

Incredible.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
The other nonsensical thing that I noted is that there are no such local banking requirements shown for either permanent residency or renewal of permanent residency - only for renewal of temporary residency. Explain to me how that makes sense. This information is obviously contrary to what other posters on this thread have experienced, so apparently whatever they show on their website is not to be taken seriously, and instead you simply need to ask what they need when it comes time for renewal in typical Dominican fashion.
I sense the frustration. This is EXACTLY why I hire counsel. Four to six months prior to the renewal, I notify the firm of my intent, and the migration department lets me know what the rules are. Sometimes, as with any things administrative law, the website does not contain the rule. I remember the year or two after I opened my bank account, counsel told me that DGM no longer required the bank account rule. Two years later, DGM wanted bank information. I had to laugh, because counsel suggested that I keep the account in any event, because DGM might change the rule again. Lo, and behold it did. As someone who used to work for a governmental entity, I know these scenarios. They happen everywhere. The DR simply costs less.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I sense the frustration. This is EXACTLY why I hire counsel. Four to six months prior to the renewal, I notify the firm of my intent, and the migration department lets me know what the rules are. Sometimes, as with any things administrative law, the website does not contain the rule. I remember the year or two after I opened my bank account, counsel told me that DGM no longer required the bank account rule. Two years later, DGM wanted bank information. I had to laugh, because counsel suggested that I keep the account in any event, because DGM might change the rule again. Lo, and behold it did. As someone who used to work for a governmental entity, I know these scenarios. They happen everywhere. The DR simply costs less.

While I would recommend a lawyer for initial residency(and maybe some others), a lawyer cannot always protect you from the totally capricious way in which DGM changes it's rules, regulations, and requirements. A lawyer couldn't have prevented what almost happened to me on this renewal. They're not notified immediately and changes aren't posted immediately either.

I'll give you another example. I used Guzman for my intial temporary residency. They depositied all the papers and I was given a date to go to DGM. After about two hours sitting in DGM, the lawyer who accompanied me tells me she has some bad news. They just changed the rules and now my Dominican wife had to sign a guarantor letter that had to be legalized.

My wife was with me, so no problem there, but there is a special JCE office that does the legalizations and, between going back to her office to draw up the letter and then going and getting it legalized and returning to DGM, all in typical gridlock SD traffic, there was not enough time to do it and still complete the medical.

Unfortunately, this was on a Friday or I would have spent another night in a hotel, so I had no choice but to drive back to Cabarete and return the following week.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
There are so many posts here and maybe somebody has answered this, but has anyone renewed their residencia and cedula for 10 years? And is so did you do it yourselves or through a lawyer. The lawyer that I have alsways used in the past is quoting me 50,600 pesos:
SUB-TOTAL GASTOS DEL PROCESO:……………………………………………………………….. RD$35,600.00
COSTO GESTION:…………………………………………………………………………………………RD$15,000.00
TOTAL GRA.L:……………………………………………………………………………………………..RD$50,600.00

This seems very high even though it is for 10 years. I would much rather do a ten year renovation as opposed to another 4 years renovation that I have been doing since 2004. Some people may ask why I don't take out my Dominican citizenship but I have dual citizenship with Canada and Great Britain and I don't want to lose either of those but would have to forfeit one to become a Dominican Citizen.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
There are so many posts here and maybe somebody has answered this, but has anyone renewed their residencia and cedula for 10 years? And is so did you do it yourselves or through a lawyer. The lawyer that I have alsways used in the past is quoting me 50,600 pesos:
SUB-TOTAL GASTOS DEL PROCESO:……………………………………………………………….. RD$35,600.00
COSTO GESTION:…………………………………………………………………………………………RD$15,000.00
TOTAL GRA.L:……………………………………………………………………………………………..RD$50,600.00

This seems very high even though it is for 10 years. I would much rather do a ten year renovation as opposed to another 4 years renovation that I have been doing since 2004. Some people may ask why I don't take out my Dominican citizenship but I have dual citizenship with Canada and Great Britain and I don't want to lose either of those but would have to forfeit one to become a Dominican Citizen.

I did my definitiva myself. Very simple. Requirements are online or you can search formy original post from when I renewed last year.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While I would recommend a lawyer for initial residency(and maybe some others), a lawyer cannot always protect you from the totally capricious way in which DGM changes it's rules, regulations, and requirements. A lawyer couldn't have prevented what almost happened to me on this renewal. They're not notified immediately and changes aren't posted immediately either.

I'll give you another example. I used Guzman for my intial temporary residency. They depositied all the papers and I was given a date to go to DGM. After about two hours sitting in DGM, the lawyer who accompanied me tells me she has some bad news. They just changed the rules and now my Dominican wife had to sign a guarantor letter that had to be legalized.

My wife was with me, so no problem there, but there is a special JCE office that does the legalizations and, between going back to her office to draw up the letter and then going and getting it legalized and returning to DGM, all in typical gridlock SD traffic, there was not enough time to do it and still complete the medical.

Unfortunately, this was on a Friday or I would have spent another night in a hotel, so I had no choice but to drive back to Cabarete and return the following week.

One reason I always do Migracion work in Santo Domingo at the beginning of a week. That chance that it cannot be done in one day ....

As for the information from the Purto Plata office: Over time about half of what they told me there was incorrect.

As for renewing what is called temporary residency annually, I have found no reason that cannot be done. Most people would not put up with the aggravation of going to Santo Domingo each year to do so. One drawback is that with temporary residency you cannot apply to become a naturalized citizen and just avoid any further residency renewals completely.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As for renewing what is called temporary residency annually, I have found no reason that cannot be done. Most people would not put up with the aggravation of going to Santo Domingo each year to do so. One drawback is that with temporary residency you cannot apply to become a naturalized citizen and just avoid any further residency renewals completely.

You only need the two years of permanent residency if you are applying to be a citizen through the ordinary route. If you are applying as you are married to a Dominican you only need two years of temporary residency.

Certificación para fines de Naturalización emitida por la Dirección General de Migración donde conste el estatus del solicitante y que tiene más de 2 años con residencia temporal.

Matilda

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
You only need the two years of permanent residency if you are applying to be a citizen through the ordinary route. If you are applying as you are married to a Dominican you only need two years of temporary residency.

Certificación para fines de Naturalización emitida por la Dirección General de Migración donde conste el estatus del solicitante y que tiene más de 2 años con residencia temporal.

Matilda
So if done through marriage do you have to complete 2 years of temp residency then apply for citizenship?

So four processes? Temp residency then 2 renewals then citizenship.

I think it used to be only six months of temporary residency before appling for citizenship.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think Matilda is correct. It used to be 6 months of temporary and then apply for citizenship, but it was changed to where you need two temp renewals first before applying.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Correct cavok. When I applied for citizenship it was no residency needed for women and 6 months for men - at that stage temporary didn't exist as we know it today. Then some Dominican woman complained that her Cuban husband needed residency first and women didn't so instead of taking the residency requirement away for men, they included it for women. Then the 6 months was increased to 2 years temporary for anyone married to a Dominican but for ordinary citizenship you need two years of permanent.

Matilda (who is usually - but not always - correct)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting but not surprising that I was given conflicting information about naturalization and the type of residency needed and for how long. After all, that was from the people at DGM and they hardly know the correct procedures for residency.

I am sure I will find a twist or turn to try and frustrate the process along the way when I undertake naturalization.