Why to avoid American Airlines

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
I’ve had decent luck with JetBlue except for the delays in departures...minutes turn into 3 hours.

However, citizens of many countries are aware of a War on Cash, in which government agencies and businesses refuse to accept legal tender.

BTW legal tender is a noun. Legal is an adjective modifying tender. Tender is a verb, it is what you do when you present something for delivery. After your meal, your duty is fulfilled when you tender the payment. Otherwise, if they refuse to accept the cash, you have committed a crime by failing to pay. Lawmakers had to be careful about wording these things.

Now, when I checked in at American Airlines in USA, they charged me US$45.00 to check my suitcase, and
...they refused to accept cash! Paying in cash is one of the many rapidly disappearing freedoms, and this one can be protected by boycotting the airline named American Airlines. At JetBlue I’ve paid to check suitcases in Dominicana and they gladly accept pesos. En suelo dominicano, pago en pesos dominicanos. But the airline named American Airlines won’t even take USA dollar cash, in a USA airport. There is no excuse for that. Uncle Sam is in a hypocritical War on Cash whilst operating big factories that keep churning out more cash.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Perhaps it has to do with the war on terrorism, security and safety. Paying cash means no records to be able to backtrack to anyone specifically as it otherwise would be the case by accepting payments with a credit card.

Honestly, the end is near and bills/cash as form of payment is pretty much abolished already. We the people wanted convenience, quickness, efficiency, and easy of records keeping, therefore all of these is provided by credit cards.

We got what we wanted in a sense.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
they have not been accepting cash once on board for quite a while, for things like Drinks and the boxes of snacks they sell.. So now they are doing it with checking of Luggage ?! .. Probably a cost saving thing, more than doing away with Cash.
I dont see how its Legal though... Once in the air , yes. "we dont have a cash register" is Logical..
But on the ground ?? who can refuse Cash ??.. if someone where to pursue it it , this could be a good legal case ..
Cash is legal tender, period ..... IT SAYS SO RIGHT ON THE PAPER, Printed and ISSUED BY THE US GOVT.. .. and you can certainly not STOP someone from TRAVELING if they are offering you CASH for the ticket or Baggage . that is just ridiculous and seems like a gross Civil rights violation. but then they may get around this by saying that they are not refusing your Boarding, just refusing to take your BAG.. seems like the same thing though, imo.
.. I just dont see it being more than a Policy , which if no one Challenges or Sues them ,they will continue ..

oh, and Jet Blue also does not accept cash for the CURB SIDE check in.. but that is a convenience thing ..

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Uh...Miami Airport has machines that sell you a debit card and puts your cash on the card. A lot of airlines don't take cash now even on the ground.

I'm a little shocked at your indignation, it doesn't seem like a big deal. I get more angry when places don't take a card...

But you will be pleased to know that in DR the police gladly accept payment for multas in cash right there at the street for your convenience!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I fail to see the humor in this .. Cash is legal tender for all debts , public and private... denying TRAVEL is a violation of your civil rights .. or are we now officially saying that ANY person who does not have a Debit Credit Card is NOT a HUMAN BEING any longer , and can rightfully be DENIED the right to visit their loved ones by plane. ?
not really a laughing matter ...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The first step is probably to contact the airlines "Ombudsman Office" and file a complaint. A succinctly worded paragraph outlining the inconvenience of not accepting cash in the originating country at check-in and how such a refusal of payment seems to be in violation of <insert national monetary policy here>.

Second step is probably a complaint to to FAA in the US or whatever airline regulating body exists in the country of origin.

Don't underestimate the power of social media. A tweet to #Americanairlines could produce much public outcry and support.

Your local TV station probably has a consumer affairs reporter who may be interested in doing a segment.

After failing at all of these preliminary attempts, it shouldn't be difficult to find a lawyer looking to make a name for themselves and cash in on a David vs Goliath case on contingency or on principle with press coverage. :)

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
C'mon, they got the best cookies.

free-coffee-biscoff.jpg

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
But you will be pleased to know that in DR the police gladly accept payment for multas in cash right there at the street for your convenience!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Yes, that's a method I have used when shaken down by AMET. "Sorry, I don't have cash. Will you take a credit card?"

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I fail to see the humor in this .. Cash is legal tender for all debts , public and private... denying TRAVEL is a violation of your civil rights .. or are we now officially saying that ANY person who does not have a Debit Credit Card is NOT a HUMAN BEING any longer , and can rightfully be DENIED the right to visit their loved ones by plane. ?
not really a laughing matter ...

That's total overkill.

First, a person's "right to travel" doesn't mean a private business is forced to take any currency the traveler deems fit. Chickens and gold shavings as payment would probably get denied, as well.

It's the same thing poor thinking one sees with "sovereign citizens" believing they're being denied their right to travel because they refuse to be searched. You can walk or take a private boat wherever you like, but if you're traveling on someone's service, you're subject to their rules. Period.

Second, the reason airlines and nearly all banks are refusing to accept cash at the counters is because of the rampant crime that's taking place these days. Much of it is fraud and terrorism/laundering based, and both businesses are highly vulnerable. Electronic transactions are trackable, and generally safer for all parties (including all the other folks getting on the plane with you).

And AA's Contract of Carriage (their rules) have nothing to do with some passenger's sense of "rights" that they just made up and/or constant need to be offended by something.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
So now USD , Currency which pretty much the world Runs on and is good anywhere on the planet

.. is now considered " any currency the traveler seems FIT" ??
and equivalent to chickens and gold shavings ?

Overkill , you are of course joking , yes ??

lmfao

not sure if I should laugh or cry ..

Seems to me then , it is THEIR Responsibility , if its SAFETY being cited , to make a Safe Area, where a TRAVELER can then convert CASH money to some kind of DEBIT Card they can use at the counter and can be tracked ..

Carriage Contract has nothing to do with this ... they can enforce their rules once they allow you to purchase a TICKET ..

But DENYING service .. Plain flat out denying service,.,. to a Cash paying customer , IS most certainly ILLEGAL and Discriminatory .. and as an Attorney I am shocked you would Defend this ..

But I guess we can wait til a Minority is affected , until we get upset about it ..

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
All you armchair lawyers and no one thought to Google this?!?

From treasury website...
b2a3a1d03ba5d7210612a49651362fd6.jpg

No federal statute mandating that business has to accept dollar bills.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Not exactly sure what being a minority has to do with any of this, but whatever.

This is about having enough common sense to know that if you're traveling, particularly overseas, you should have at least two forms of payment on you, one of which should ideally be a travel-friendly credit or debit card with sufficient funds.

Because, when traveling, stuff happens.

After all, there's no guarantee your home and/or host country(ies) or the services you use while in them, are going to give a damn about what one perceives their "rights" to be.

Again, this is a private transportation service. It can establish pretty much whatever rules it pleases, particularly when said rules conform to both private and government interests in providing safe transport and discouraging criminal activities.

And if a "TRAVELER" who wants to adopt some silly notion that American Airlines, or any airline really, must bend to their will and accept cash, will likely be spending far more time walking, driving, or using a personal boat, 'cuz they're going to get left behind.

Which, I imagine, the other folks on the flight will be relieved to hear.

Bottom line: don't be stupid, carry some cash and at least one card. Make sure you inform the bank(s) that you're traveling. And, above all, if you have any questions whatsoever, just call the airline and ask.

Building a plane is rocket science. Riding on one ain't.

Last edited:

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think not taking cash is mainly for the reason that cash tends to "walk" and it's always a nightmare when it does as you end up having to accuse your staff of theft. If you just take cards, there is far less chance that money will get stolen and the accounting is easier.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
People want to blame the government or corporations for this, but consumers are partly to blame. A local "general store" that makes $4 sandwiches frequently gets stuck with a sandwich because they DO NOT take credit cards and the customers do not have $4 in cash. As others mentioned, when you have to balance the cash register at the end of the flight and take cash to the bank the next day it is just one more expense and inconvenience.

I have volunteered to pay on my credit card for a sandwich or drink for young unaccompanied Dominicans who had no credit cards. Flying is bad enough without having to sit there starving or coughing from a dry throat. If you get stuck with no cash, ask around, someone will want the points on their credit card. As far as American Airlines, they are terrible. No tv screens, and no charging ports. So you have to download an app, then watch the movie on your PC or phone. So you arrive at your destination after watching a tiny movie with a sore arm, sore neck and a dead phone.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
pretty much no Airline takes Cash ON the plane.. that is not the issue being discussed here ... we are talking about refusing to accept a persons Baggage, because they only have cash to pay for checking that baggage .. ergo refusing to let them Fly, unless they have a Credit or debit card ... totally different scenario.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I think not taking cash is mainly for the reason that cash tends to "walk" and it's always a nightmare when it does as you end up having to accuse your staff of theft. If you just take cards, there is far less chance that money will get stolen and the accounting is easier.

...thats one big reason...the main reason is the USA goverment cant track cash, as they can cards and checks....I sold a piece of land about 2 years ago and had the profit from the deal wired to a bank near my house... first the money goes to the IRS for 48 hours to check on me, then to the bank....then the fun began, try and walk out of a American bank with $120k they have a cashier tell you over and over all they can do is open a account in their bank and deposit that money for you...after about 1 hour the VP of the bank tells me Shes going to the vault for the money and will $100 dollar bills be alright...I did my homework and everything said you can have cash if you want, I signed a paper receipt and left the bank with a yellow and white plastic bag that was vacuum sealed, felt very good in my hand.........Doc........

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
My problem with this is that my credit card hasn't had a 100 percent success rate over its career, even though it is never near its limit. The duty free at POP is one place the card hardly ever works. One card and cash is no good if the card decides not to work and the vendor doesn't take cash.

I have a hard time believing the authorities need to track my luggage when they can just track me via my ticket purchase.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
That's total overkill.

First, a person's "right to travel" doesn't mean a private business is forced to take any currency the traveler deems fit. Chickens and gold shavings as payment would probably get denied, as well.

It's the same thing poor thinking one sees with "sovereign citizens" believing they're being denied their right to travel because they refuse to be searched. You can walk or take a private boat wherever you like, but if you're traveling on someone's service, you're subject to their rules. Period.

Second, the reason airlines and nearly all banks are refusing to accept cash at the counters is because of the rampant crime that's taking place these days. Much of it is fraud and terrorism/laundering based, and both businesses are highly vulnerable. Electronic transactions are trackable, and generally safer for all parties (including all the other folks getting on the plane with you).

And AA's Contract of Carriage (their rules) have nothing to do with some passenger's sense of "rights" that they just made up and/or constant need to be offended by something.

With all the cops running around and monitoring the airports, I do not believe that American Airlines is scared to accept 45 dollars in cash. Secondly, when checking in, I had to present my passport, which identifies WHO is paying the money. And in such a heavily regulated industry, any regulation an airline adopts essentially is a government policy, because AA enjoys limited-issue licenses to fly certain routes to the exclusion of anybody else who could start those routes. As far as chickens and gold shavings, these are not legal tender under US Code, Title 31 section 5103. [Note added for accuracy: the federal statute is unconstitutional because Congress lacks any authority to make anything legal tender and the Federal Reserve is clearly unconstitutional anyway, but the notes are cash.]

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
My problem with this is that my credit card hasn't had a 100 percent success rate over its career, even though it is never near its limit. The duty free at POP is one place the card hardly ever works. One card and cash is no good if the card decides not to work and the vendor doesn't take cash.

I have a hard time believing the authorities need to track my luggage when they can just track me via my ticket purchase.

I always stop at the duty-free just to make a point. They price the bottle as $63 so I tender 63 pesos. Many of the newer signs say USD in small type now, but some do not, so I make a point of this every time. The $ symbol on Dominican soil means Dominican pesos.