Hello, I fell in LOVE!!!

P

PR Loves DR

Hello, I'm Pat and I visited the DR (Punta Cana AI) for the first time this year. I fell in love with the island and found it to be the paradise that I desired. I went in March and was ecstatic to find the temperature as warm as I wanted it to be but not too hot. I enjoyed the breeze that came off of the ocean and I can't wait to visit again. I would even consider spending part of the year down there after I retire. I enjoyed the people and learning about some of the culture. The people made me feel welcome, which they are supposed to do at an AI, but they made it "seem" genuine. After reviewing several posts on DR1, I'm glad to get an even more informational look at island life and what it may mean for an expat that resides down there part time.

B

Bronxboy

For a second there, thought it was an island chica. PR, hmmmm.

L

LTSteve

Hello, I'm Pat and I visited the DR (Punta Cana AI) for the first time this year. I fell in love with the island and found it to be the paradise that I desired. I went in March and was ecstatic to find the temperature as warm as I wanted it to be but not too hot. I enjoyed the breeze that came off of the ocean and I can't wait to visit again. I would even consider spending part of the year down there after I retire. I enjoyed the people and learning about some of the culture. The people made me feel welcome, which they are supposed to do at an AI, but they made it "seem" genuine. After reviewing several posts on DR1, I'm glad to get an even more informational look at island life and what it may mean for an expat that resides down there part time.

Yup. You got it. It's usually not dangerous, although to some it can be. You have what is called "Island Fever". The good news is that it is treatable but it can over time fester into something of an obsession. AI's are a nice way to get introduced to the DR however this is far from the reality of daily life. If you are truly interested in retiring in the DR than do your homework. Make a number of trips to the Island. Stay in different places and move away from the AIs. It can be a great place to retire but you need to understand the culture and people. That is a long learning curve for an ex-pat. Visiting for a holiday is one thing. Living in the DR even part time requires a whole nother level of commitment, both mentally and financially. You're not in Kansas anymore.

P

PR Loves DR

For a second there, thought it was an island chica. PR, hmmmm.
No, I just figured that my initials enabled me to make a clever username and expressed my feelings. Not from the islands but hope to spend as much time there as possible.

P

PR Loves DR

Yup. You got it. It's usually not dangerous, although to some it can be. You have what is called "Island Fever". The good news is that it is treatable but it can over time fester into something of an obsession. AI's are a nice way to get introduced to the DR however this is far from the reality of daily life. If you are truly interested in retiring in the DR than do your homework. Make a number of trips to the Island. Stay in different places and move away from the AIs. It can be a great place to retire but you need to understand the culture and people. That is a long learning curve for an ex-pat. Visiting for a holiday is one thing. Living in the DR even part time requires a whole nother level of commitment, both mentally and financially. You're not in Kansas anymore.

Thanks for the advice. You hit the nail on the head with "Island Fever". I have wanted to visit an island since I was a child and DR did not disappoint. I plan to be as safe as possible when I return but I'm interested in immersing myself in the culture and increasing my ability to communicate in Spanish. I know that new visitors to the islands are like fish out of water and are ripe for the picking, sometimes literally. If I live down there for any length of time, I want to be in an area which has at least a bilingual church and the most stable electricity (I know that may depend on a number of variables) available. I want to get away from the AIs and see what it's like to fend for myself, so to speak. I'm looking at moving up to doing 2 weeks a year hopefully soon. I'm not near retirement age yet and have too many toys to try to relocate.

J

JDJones

Thanks for the advice. You hit the nail on the head with "Island Fever". I have wanted to visit an island since I was a child and DR did not disappoint. I plan to be as safe as possible when I return but I'm interested in immersing myself in the culture and increasing my ability to communicate in Spanish. I know that new visitors to the islands are like fish out of water and are ripe for the picking, sometimes literally. If I live down there for any length of time, I want to be in an area which has at least a bilingual church and the most stable electricity (I know that may depend on a number of variables) available. I want to get away from the AIs and see what it's like to fend for myself, so to speak. I'm looking at moving up to doing 2 weeks a year hopefully soon. I'm not near retirement age yet and have too many toys to try to relocate.

Just in case you don't know already, the rest of the country is very different that the east coast.

Everybody falls in love with the east coast hotels. That's their job.

P

PR Loves DR

Just in case you don't know already, the rest of the country is very different that the east coast.

Everybody falls in love with the east coast hotels. That's their job.

I appreciate you informing me of that fact. Where should I visit to get a more realistic viewpoint of Island life?

P

PR Loves DR

And take some Spanish lessons as well.

Gracias. Hablo español desde que lo tomé durante 3 años en la escuela secundaria y seguí educándome utilizando sitios y software en línea. Solía trabajar para una compañía global con sede en los Estados Unidos donde mi territorio era América Latina. Sin embargo, debido a los diferentes dialectos y diferencias regionales, busco ser fluido para fines de conversación. Univision solo ayuda mucho. Google Translate es mi mejor amigo!

R

Riva_31

Gracias. Hablo español desde que lo tomé durante 3 años en la escuela secundaria y seguí educándome utilizando sitios y software en línea. Solía trabajar para una compañía global con sede en los Estados Unidos donde mi territorio era América Latina. Sin embargo, debido a los diferentes dialectos y diferencias regionales, busco ser fluido para fines de conversación. Univision solo ayuda mucho. Google Translate es mi mejor amigo!

Welcome to the real Dominican Republic, as a member told you get away of All Inclusive, Escucha musica en español eso te ayudará mucho.

Greettings from San Pedro de Macoris.

P

PR Loves DR

Welcome to the real Dominican Republic, as a member told you get away of All Inclusive, Escucha musica en español eso te ayudará mucho.

Greettings from San Pedro de Macoris.

Thanks Riva! I guess the hardest part is going to be finding out what area to try next which will have helpful people. My viewpoint is that if you're looking for trouble you can find it anywhere, so I'm aware of the risks involved being in unfamiliar territory. I would just like any risks that I'm taking to be "calculated" risks. Which means that although no place on earth is 100% safe I'd like to be in the least likely place to encounter unseemly individuals. Does anyone on here know anything about Hato Mayor?

J

jd426

Sounds like you are ready for Samana , especially since you speak and understand Spanish ..
Its still like the OLD Dominican Republic ... go all the way to the end of the Peninsula, you will enjoy it a lot .

R

Riva_31

Thanks Riva! I guess the hardest part is going to be finding out what area to try next which will have helpful people. My viewpoint is that if you're looking for trouble you can find it anywhere, so I'm aware of the risks involved being in unfamiliar territory. I would just like any risks that I'm taking to be "calculated" risks. Which means that although no place on earth is 100% safe I'd like to be in the least likely place to encounter unseemly individuals. Does anyone on here know anything about Hato Mayor?

True, 100% agree.

About Hato Mayor is Small town, life is cheap, Im from El Seibo small town too, that is 24 km far from Hato Mayor but I dont live there because of lack of jobs. What specific thing do you want to know about it?

D

Derfish

True, 100% agree.

About Hato Mayor is Small town, life is cheap, Im from El Seibo small town too, that is 24 km far from Hato Mayor but I dont live there because of lack of jobs. What specific thing do you want to know about it?

Life is cheap or the cost of living is cheap? The way you put it has different connotations.
Derfish

P

PR Loves DR

Sounds like you are ready for Samana , especially since you speak and understand Spanish ..
Its still like the OLD Dominican Republic ... go all the way to the end of the Peninsula, you will enjoy it a lot .

I will take note of that and research the best way to get there, closest airport and then transfer fees, and where would be a good place to stay.

P

PR Loves DR

True, 100% agree.

I'd like to know about the people, and what kind of local activities are available. Is it a laid back place? I'd like to find a place where the culture is friendly and inviting. I'm one of those people that "never meets a stranger".