Crime & Safety in DR

E

El Rey de Mangu

The Everything Cabarete DR saviors are banding together to "educate" the consumer public by force that DR is a safe place. In other posts, many are asking if anyone knows where they can buy milk and get eggs only laid by hens :rolleyes:

E

El Rey de Mangu

The Everything Cab folks, you know "Hola People" continue to numerically list pro-DR talking points to [others members?]. Meanwhile if you look at the MSM content provider commentaries, you see things like:

"The Big Papi shooting won't stop me from visiting DR, but poisoning tourists, yes"

N

NALs

you gotta love it. everybody who ever got sick in the DR is going to claim that the place is worse than Afghanistan, and warn whoever will listen to stay away. here is a guy who had stomach pains. at the end of reading his account, we still do not know the cause. he never discloses. all he knows is that everybody should stay away, lest they get a tummyache, too.
To be fair, every island has a few visitors like that. It reminds me of Rhianna when she complained that she saw a flying cockroach in Punta Cana. Now, she is originally from Barbados and spend some time at her house there. I guess Barbados doesn’t have flying cockroaches. :rolleyes:

T

the gorgon

To be fair, every island has a few visitors like that. It reminds me of Rhianna when she complained that she saw a flying cockroach in Punta Cana. Now, she is originally from Barbados and spend some time at her house there. I guess Barbados doesn’t have flying cockroaches. :rolleyes:

no...but they have flying fish...

D

Dr_Taylor

The pro-DR campaign has started folks. The DR higher-ups have brought in consultants to counter all this "defamatory" press about the place. Check your FB, Twitter and IG feeds
Well, the time has come for the consultants to get to work. Today, my mother in the U.S. asked me about "all the tourists deaths" in the DR. She NEVER asks such questions. She claims that it is all over the local, not international, news in her town. I downplayed it, and told her that the DR is a big place much like NYC, Detroit, Philadelphia, or Chicago. That was a mistake.

D

Dr_Taylor

Well a lot of what you said rings true, and it is not the first time I have heard or experienced white women being openly harrased by Latinos, but it is not exclusive to DR.
Let me see if I can make this even more accurate. t is not the first time I have heard or experienced women being openly harassed by obnoxious and disrespectful men. Latino men do not corner the market on this nonsense, at least not in Sosua or Boca Chica.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Let me see if I can make this even more accurate. t is not the first time I have heard or experienced women being openly harassed by obnoxious and disrespectful men. Latino men do not corner the market on this nonsense, at least not in Sosua or Boca Chica.

I think those two towns are exceptions to the rule, and not fully representative of DR. There are too many sentences I can end with "...at least not in Sosua or Boca Chica"

T

the gorgon

of course Latino men do not corner the market on harrassment of women...

ask upper class Dominican women why they do not go to casetas. among the reasons they will give you is that every expat believes that every Dominican woman is at least part puta, and wants them for their bank account, real or imagined.

i once saw a DR plain clothes cop pull a gun on a NJ cop in the entrance of Carrefour in Sto Dgo. the guy's teenage daughter was outside waiting for her parents to come out, and this guy tried to pick her up. the father went ballistic when he came out and saw his daughter trying to fend off this hump, and had it not been for the calming influence of the wife, things would have gone sideways.

when it was all over, the Jersey dude remarked..

i have more money on my MasterCard than he will earn in his lifetime.

D

Dr_Taylor

of course Latino men do not corner the market on harrassment of women...

ask upper class Dominican women why they do not go to casetas. among the reasons they will give you is that every expat believes that every Dominican woman is at least part puta, and wants them for their bank account, real or imagined.

i once saw a DR plain clothes cop pull a gun on a NJ cop in the entrance of Carrefour in Sto Dgo. the guy's teenage daughter was outside waiting for her parents to come out, and this guy tried to pick her up. the father went ballistic when he came out and saw his daughter trying to fend off this hump, and had it not been for the calming influence of the wife, things would have gone sideways.

when it was all over, the Jersey dude remarked..

i have more money on my MasterCard than he will earn in his lifetime.

Such was my point. The Sosua or Boca Chica phrase was a red herring. The comment about Latino men probably was not.

E

El Rey de Mangu

So big surprise, posted to Everything Cab:

"Due to a recent, unusual media campaign against DR tourism based on a situation that happened in 2 resorts in Punta Cana..."

There is no anti-DR campaign. Most MSM outlets have reported what they know and any comments from folks close to or related to the victims. Woman claims to have been "attacked"; Couple dead, investigation pending, etc. This seems normal. I really don't see a "smear" effort, even on the one-and-two-off sites.