Rainy Season

M

mountainannie

The Rains have started here in Southern Florida (Palm Beach County).

I think that we are in the same climate band as the the DR - We are designated as Tropical - with a growing season of 11. I find that the temperature range is a little broader than it was in SD - from a high of mid to high 90x but lows down to the high 40s.

I could never quite get to think in Celsius - having been raised in Fahrenheit. I used to walk around and think "So this is 28 degrees." - I did learn enough to know that 16 degrees in Jarabaco was going to be absolutely frigid for my Santo Domingo accustomed body. I sometimes had to put on sweat pants and socks in the Capital.

We escaped a hurricane last year but were hit by Irma the year before, We are always On Alert here in Fl - since there is essentially "No Where to Run To- No Where to Hide" - it is a sand bar. The winds during IRMA were 90mph with tornado bands. The power went out in lots of places. And lots of places are high rises without opening windows. Folks died in elder care facilities.

I think that the DR is actually better prepared. Everyone has bottled drinking water. Most everyone has propane cooking gas. Few are dependent on AC. Most of the windows will open - except for the New Buildings in Santo Domingo... And those 6th floor walk ups are billed as "penthouses" (Could not fool me). Most folks have kerosene lamps - at least I certainly did.

Do not know what the predictions are for this year..

Am planning a ten day trip in August but plan on being back for the Heart of the Hurricane Season - which seems to be Sept -Oct here.

I used to read here on DR1 that "hurricanes never hit the DR North Coast" - and bragging about how Las Terrenas was "hurricane proof". I arrived there just after the Village had been completely without any power for 6 days after the hurricane hit.

Hope that Mike Fisher comes back on soon with his predictions.He is more reliable than anything here in the US.

M

mountainannie

WHAT is the WEATHER like there NOW?

How Hot?

How Rainy?

Are you getting storms every afternoon?

PLEASE report Where You Are..

B

bob saunders

Hot and humid in Jarabacoa. 90-94 F and down to 60 at night. Thunderclouds in the afternoon but no rains this week so far. Lat week plenty of rain in the afternoons, but just bursts.

M

mountainannie

Hot and humid in Jarabacoa. 90-94 F and down to 60 at night. Thunderclouds in the afternoon but no rains this week so far. Lat week plenty of rain in the afternoons, but just bursts.

What is your altitude there?

B

bienamor

hot during the day in SD around 31c night cools down a little but then again I'm close the the Malecon. A/C is great

D

Derfish

WHAT is the WEATHER like there NOW?

How Hot?

How Rainy?

Are you getting storms every afternoon?

PLEASE report Where You Are..

Hey sis, Here outside of Puerto Plata it rained a bit last night. Not too long nor hard. My air conditioner automatically shut off and still i heard something, looked out the window and saw rain. Hot here 30 degrees day time, but I walk around at night and feel fine. But only the second rain since moving here at the beginning of the month.
Derfish

M

mountainannie

that celsius/farenheit thing still has me stumped.

I remember that 30 degrees and over was HOT.- is that 90?

Here in Palm Beach County - about an hour north of Miami we are about at 85 to 90 in the day and down to 75 at nite.. Humid! But every afternoon the storms roll in - Every AM if Looks :ike A Beautiful day but if you do not get into the pool by noon- you do not get there as the Lightening is Fierce

(there were actually 2 Giraffes killed by lightening in the field a bit north of me at the Lion Safari Park - the keepers said that they opened up the shelter but they did not go in, We are very sad about the loss)

What I do miss about the DR is the BEAUTY of the place- the Mountains where Bob is sound ideal (except I do remember that there is sometimes FROST there...ugh Frost).

There are no mountains in Florida. A place is labeled "the Heights if it is at an elevation of 300 ft)

I do have Central AC here which I never had in SD... such a luxury. But it makes the experience of the heat harder to bear.

B

bob saunders

I remember that 30 degrees and over was HOT.- is that 90?

Here in Palm Beach County - about an hour north of Miami we are about at 85 to 90 in the day and down to 75 at nite.. Humid! But every afternoon the storms roll in - Every AM if Looks :ike A Beautiful day but if you do not get into the pool by noon- you do not get there as the Lightening is Fierce

(there were actually 2 Giraffes killed by lightening in the field a bit north of me at the Lion Safari Park - the keepers said that they opened up the shelter but they did not go in, We are very sad about the loss)

What I do miss about the DR is the BEAUTY of the place- the Mountains where Bob is sound ideal (except I do remember that there is sometimes FROST there...ugh Frost).

There are no mountains in Florida. A place is labeled "the Heights if it is at an elevation of 300 ft)

I do have Central AC here which I never had in SD... such a luxury. But it makes the experience of the heat harder to bear.

No frost in Jarabacoa. In january the temperature will on occasion go down to the 40s at night. In the mountains around Jarabacoa above the 5000 ft rangethere is occasional frost and ice on puddles. Dominicans wear parkas at around 18 degrees Celcius. I spent a Christmas in Pasa Bajito, about halfway between Jarabacoa and Contanza and the twmperature was 8 celcius. First time I ever needed a coat here.

M

mobrouser

I remember that 30 degrees and over was HOT.- is that 90?......

For a rough estimate take the Celsius temp, multiply by 2 and add 32 to get Fahrenheit equiv.

30x2 + 32 = 92

M

mountainannie

yes
For a rough estimate take the Celsius temp, multiply by 2 and add 32 to get Fahrenheit equiv.

30x2 + 32 = 92

yes - but see that gets into Arithmetic

And

I selected my college picks by which one did not have a Math requirement

I like to observe that on a clock face I am really pretty smart from 12 to 9 but from 9- 12 I hit my

"Dumb as A Brick"section..

Might be able to multiply by two in my head - but then ADD on top of that? Would need pen and paper

But - thanks - 92

Now it gets into the subject of "Relative Humidity" also a subject in my Stupid Section"

I woke up today to find all my windows and glass door completely frosted - due to the Central AC - so knew it was HUMID outside.

I went to college up in Vermont where folks would drive me nuts with the phrase "well, it is a DRY cold so you do not feel it as much as you would in NYC' - To which I would reply "It never GETS to 40 degrees below zero in NYC"

Las Terranas was built on a swamp. But a Gorgeous Swamp, I will give you that. Most shops closed from 1-3 PM. When I first got there I was walking down the little street in the section called "Pueblo De Pescadores" around 2 PM wondering why no one was Out. The next minute, I thought I was going to faint.

So whare is the "Sweet Spot" in the DR? Close enough to the beaches? High enough to be comfortable? Close enough to a City and hospital to get aid if needed?

What would be your pick?

Even if you have to do it all over again.

C

Cdn_Gringo

I am comfortable with Celsius temperatures as I was taught in school and we have used the metric system since I was a child.

However, for those who do not routinely use Celsius, accept that you do not need to know the exact numerical temperature in Fahrenheit. Just four relative temperatures can see you through without doing math.

0 C is when water freezes - actually 32 F

20 degrees C is cool - about 68 F

26 C is warm - almost 80 F

30 C or higher is hot

If 20C is jacket temperature for you, then 15 C is a jacket & a sweater weather
I find 25C - 26C about the upper limit of what I feel is comfortable
If 32C most people will say it's hot and try to stay cool

Any other in between temperature in Celsius is just warmer or cooler than...

D

Derfish

yes

yes - but see that gets into Arithmetic

And

I selected my college picks by which one did not have a Math requirement

I like to observe that on a clock face I am really pretty smart from 12 to 9 but from 9- 12 I hit my

"Dumb as A Brick"section..

Might be able to multiply by two in my head - but then ADD on top of that? Would need pen and paper

But - thanks - 92

Now it gets into the subject of "Relative Humidity" also a subject in my Stupid Section"

I woke up today to find all my windows and glass door completely frosted - due to the Central AC - so knew it was HUMID outside.

I went to college up in Vermont where folks would drive me nuts with the phrase "well, it is a DRY cold so you do not feel it as much as you would in NYC' - To which I would reply "It never GETS to 40 degrees below zero in NYC"

Las Terranas was built on a swamp. But a Gorgeous Swamp, I will give you that. Most shops closed from 1-3 PM. When I first got there I was walking down the little street in the section called "Pueblo De Pescadores" around 2 PM wondering why no one was Out. The next minute, I thought I was going to faint.

So whare is the "Sweet Spot" in the DR? Close enough to the beaches? High enough to be comfortable? Close enough to a City and hospital to get aid if needed?

What would be your pick?

Even if you have to do it all over again.

I am near Puerto Plata and 12 minutes to the beach.costs less han one US dollar by carro publico. I have chosen it again several times. Love it here.
Derfish