Annoying stopover ArkeFly Brussels-Puert Plata

F

Fulano2

My wife left sunday for a quick familyvisit and told me yesterday that during the stopover they had tonleave the plane, go with their handluggage through the scanner, shoes off etc.. and then waite for two hours in a not air-conditioned space. All boarding again and the same show in POP.
So if you visit Cabrera-Nagua, think twice. I think I'll get out in Santo Domingo next time. Everybody was complaining she said.

B

Bred

Do we have many options for Puerto Plata?

IMHO, even 2 hr wait at the airport is still much better than 4-5 hr ride from Santo Domingo to Sosua-Cabarete.

Oh, and the correct name for this airline is TuiFly. ArkeFly was flying to/from Amsterdam.

B

Bred

For North Coast I can also recommend charter Eurowings. Paid yesterday for Dusseldorf - Samana 8700 Pesos ($170) at Sabina's office in Puerto Plata. Food and 23kg bag is included in the fare. They also fly twice a week from Dusseldorf to Puerto Plata - on Tuesdays and Fridays.

U

Uzin

For North Coast I can also recommend charter Eurowings. Paid yesterday for Dusseldorf - Samana 8700 Pesos ($170) at Sabina's office in Puerto Plata. Food and 23kg bag is included in the fare. They also fly twice a week from Dusseldorf to Puerto Plata - on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Yes, this is available but only through agents, no online. You had a really excellent price for a one way trip (not sure when that was), the summer cost of DUS -> POP is currently about €433 from German agents - that is one way.

F

Fulano2

Great for the germans but we live close to Brussels and Düsseldorf is a 200+ drive. I paid around 600 roundtrip last week.

B

Bred

not sure when that was

For this Saturday, June 29. Sabina said for early July there are tickets DUS to POP around EUR 150. I guess the common rule with charter flights - the fewer days before the flights - the cheaper the tickets get.

U

Uzin

For this Saturday, June 29. Sabina said for early July there are tickets DUS to POP around EUR 150. I guess the common rule with charter flights - the fewer days before the flights - the cheaper the tickets get.

That is so cheap, although if too close to date the flight could be full, and as things are with flights to POP, you could end up with no tickets and no alternative....!

W

william webster

The Paris to SDQ flight stops in Punta Cana first...

You can see the stops when you are booking the ticket....
it won't be a surprise.

Fulano.... I bet the POP leg costs more money too !!
more than just to SDQ

I am changing my travel patterns and will be using SDQ more than EWR or JFK
I can get directly to PHL that way...

R

Riva_31

The Paris to SDQ flight stops in Punta Cana first...

You can see the stops when you are booking the ticket....
it won't be a surprise.

Fulano.... I bet the POP leg costs more money too !!
more than just to SDQ

I am changing my travel patterns and will be using SDQ more than EWR or JFK
I can get directly to PHL that way...

In winter they increase from 1 to 2 weekly flights from PHL to SDQ, yes Airfrance in slow season stop in PUJ then go to SDQ for winter they have direct flights with non stop, Air Caraibes stop in PAP before then go to SDQ, Now Tuifly sundays go to POP with stop in SDQ and Tuesday they go PUJ also with stop in SDQ, Blue Panorama from Milan stop in SDQ on friday and in its way back to Milan stop in ANU.

The part I didnt get was to wait for more than 2 hrs in an space with no air conditioner.

W

william webster

or -- Why do they have to get off the plane?

just let the SDQ passengers off and the rest go to POP......

E

etolw

Annoyed me to! But I was told it was for safety reasons when refueling the plane.
There are rules an airline must follow when refueling, so maybe it is necessary....
But the additional security scan really bothered me, that seemed entirely unneccessary, extra half hour waiting before entering the departure hall.

R

Riva_31

Passingers in transit must get off the plane and re-enter, scan witn xray their bags before to re-enter to the steril area to wait their conecting flight.

W

wrecksum

Annoyed me to! But I was told it was for safety reasons when refueling the plane.
There are rules an airline must follow when refueling, so maybe it is necessary....
But the additional security scan really bothered me, that seemed entirely unneccessary, extra half hour waiting before entering the departure hall.
Depending on the airport and aircraft register fuelling with pax can be allowed under certain criteria.Fire service must be present at each fuel point,flight attendants must control all exits and boarding stairs must be on principal doors.

There may be other limitations such as crew change or cleaning requirements for them to de-plane pax.
There would be extra charges to the company for a transit lounge also.

I guess there must be a cost issue somewhere..

It's all pretty futile.Never heard of a JP1 fire during fuelling since we first got jets in the 50's.

Just some jobsworth getting in his or her two bits or an under-accountant whose budget contains fire service or ground handling costs....

W

william webster

My last flight -- EWR to POP....

we were a bit late.... while the plane was being fueled
We were all on board....sitting

T

TropicalPaul

British Airways always used to stop in Antigua on the way to Punta Cana, plane refuelled, crew changed and the Punta Cana passengers did not have to get off. They just said to leave seatbelts unfastened whilst refuelling. I think Air France which does PAR > PUJ > SDQ doesn't require SDQ people to deplane. So I think this is just Tui being annoying.

R

Riva_31

British Airways always used to stop in Antigua on the way to Punta Cana, plane refuelled, crew changed and the Punta Cana passengers did not have to get off. They just said to leave seatbelts unfastened whilst refuelling. I think Air France which does PAR > PUJ > SDQ doesn't require SDQ people to deplane. So I think this is just Tui being annoying.

Yes Air France do it, every body has to get out of the plane, and Condor too, stop in Santo Domingo then fly to San Jose Costa Rica

U

Uzin

Sounds like it is to do with SDQ airport. From your posts it seems everybody de-planes from all airlines in SDQ but may or may not in other airports.... !

R

Riva_31

Sounds like it is to do with SDQ airport. From your posts it seems everybody de-planes from all airlines in SDQ but may or may not in other airports.... !

Maybe must be diferent reasons, re inspect personal bags, also make people to buy and Duty free stores and restaurants.