• Thread starter william webster
  • Start date

Ex-Pat Fatigue Syndrome

C

cobraboy

...I can see that now....Snow tires and and 4 wheel drive on my Harley...what about -30 F?.....
I don't know about -30F, but you'd be surprised.

Folks who post pictures of riding below zero get admitted to the Rounder's KOHF...Kook Hall of Fame. I know some Crazies, but nobody who would ride 200 miles in -30F for fish & chips...

gH1TE2.jpg

D

Derfish

..In Minnesota where I grew up and lived...we did something much simpler, when it started to cool off(most of the year) we drove cars ...they had heaters, we would go out early start the car with the heater on max. and let it run about 15 minutes..then drive it...…..

I took off on my bike from St Paul MN once heading for two weeks in Mexico. February or so. It took a week to get to Joplin MO where I stored the bike till spring and took the old grey dog back north!

D

Derfish

The heat warms the whole glove, a lot of upper end bikes offer them, and heated seats a on a cold day up North would be a real blessing

It didn't say heated gloves, but heated grips. Lots of difference there.

T

the gorgon

I took off on my bike from St Paul MN once heading for two weeks in Mexico. February or so. It took a week to get to Joplin MO where I stored the bike till spring and took the old grey dog back north!

the book, Derfish...the book. you owe it to the world to share some of your great stories...

E

Ecoman1949

BMW has a self balancing bike prototype. Don’t know if it will go to production. You can protect your body with all sorts of winter clothing to extend your motorcycling season. The real issue is black ice. Low lying roads and bridges in valleys near rivers can collect moisture during the night. In colder climates, that forms black ice. You can’t see it but you know your in it when you lose control of your vehicle. I’ve run into it once while driving my car. Wouldn’t want to run into it on a motorcycle. Not a problem in the DR.

C

chico bill

It didn't say heated gloves, but heated grips. Lots of difference there.

Well the BMW grips heat the whole hand and glove after about a half hour of riding. No one is talking about riding in Minnesota in January, so maybe the grips won't work under those conditions, but the heat radiates enough through the hand and glove to keep your hands from becoming claws on a fall ride through the Catskills, or in my case in California Mountains.

I used to take long rides from the Sacramento Valley through the Feather River Canyon on a Bonneville 750 and I can remember having to stop at every bar up the canyon just to warm my hands....on second thought maybe no heated grips was an asset to my social life. I remember a young blond cowgirl playing pool and there was that barn full of hay just outside a bar where I stopped into in Belden, CA. The ride home was "relaxed."
Oh to be 24 again.

E

Ecoman1949

Well the BMW grips heat the whole hand and glove after about a half hour of riding. No one is talking about riding in Minnesota in January, so maybe the grips won't work under those conditions, but the heat radiates enough through the hand and glove to keep your hands from becoming claws on a fall ride through the Catskills, or in my case in California Mountains.

I used to take long rides from the Sacramento Valley through the Feather River Canyon on a Bonneville 750 and I can remember having to stop at every bar up the canyon just to warm my hands....on second thought maybe no heated grips was an asset to my social life. I remember a young blond cowgirl playing pool and there was that barn full of hay just outside a bar where I stopped into in Belden, CA. The ride home was "relaxed."
Oh to be 24 again.

Last bike was a BMW 1300 KGT. If I was lucky I could ride it till mid December or until they put salt on the roads. I have the full Tourmaster suit and the bike had heated seats and handle grips. Surprisingly comfortable in the cold conditions. Newest bike is a Yammy 1300 FJR. Heated seats, handlebars, etc. Also very comfortable.

C

chico bill

Last bike was a BMW 1300 KGT. If I was lucky I could ride it till mid December or until they put salt on the roads. I have the full Tourmaster suit and the bike had heated seats and handle grips. Surprisingly comfortable in the cold conditions. Newest bike is a Yammy 1300 FJR. Heated seats, handlebars, etc. Also very comfortable.

My friend got that FJR too, but he is getting too old to ride and it is too heavy for him, so it sits in his garage under a cover

C

cobraboy

No need for Billy Web to get heated grips in Cabrera. He just needs to get out for some breeze on his knees.

He needs a bike that can climb that steep, rocky hill.

Maybe one of the new Can-Am Ryker's would be his sweet spot.

C

cobraboy

My friend got that FJR too, but he is getting too old to ride and it is too heavy for him, so it sits in his garage under a cover
A confirmation of the axiom, "The bigger the bike, the less it rides."

C

chico bill

Speaking of breaking the fatigue - Is their a Kymco dealer in DR. I have seen a few scooters about and would love one of the new Kymco Like 150 ABS models if reasonably priced and available in DR

W

william webster

Beans , beans
good for the heart
the more you eat
the more you -- like'em

E

Ecoman1949

I’m 70 and still comfortable almost scraping my knees on the tight turns on my Yahama FJR 1300. I bought it because it was lighter and not top heavy. Much more manageable when stopping and starting. I don’t have the body size to ride full size Harleys or Goldwings. Both great bikes but sport tourers have always appealed to me. I ride mostly solo and love the appeal of the high performance brakes and engine response of sport tourers. I log about 5000 miles a year during a relative short season. I’d love to have my bike in the DR but using it to its potential there would shorten my lifespan considerably.

C

chico bill

I’m 70 and still comfortable almost scraping my knees on the tight turns on my Yahama FJR 1300. I bought it because it was lighter and not top heavy. Much more manageable when stopping and starting. I don’t have the body size to ride full size Harleys or Goldwings. Both great bikes but sport tourers have always appealed to me. I ride mostly solo and love the appeal of the high performance brakes and engine response of sport tourers. I log about 5000 miles a year during a relative short season. I’d love to have my bike in the DR but using it to its potential there would shorten my lifespan considerably.

It's still almost 650 lbs wet, which yeah is 100 lbs lighter than a Gold Wing, but not for most older riders. My friend is 77 and just had back surgery so his FJR will probably stay in the garage until he passes away

E

Ecoman1949

It's still almost 650 lbs wet, which yeah is 100 lbs lighter than a Gold Wing, but not for most older riders. My friend is 77 and just had back surgery so his FJR will probably stay in the garage until he passes away

Sorry to hear about your friend’s medical problem. It’s a shame to have a machine like that sitting in the garage gathering dust. Years ago the size of the gas tank on my bikes determined how far I could go without a break. Now it’s my bladder. Age ain’t kind Chico. My neighbour had an accident on his bike in the 70’s and survived it but his back was injured. He’s paying the penalty now. Severe spinal problems, limited mobility, and constant pain. I feel sorry for him because he sees me heading out on my bike and still loves motorcycles. I’ll ride for as long as my body lets me. Every now and then, if I see a motorcycle safety course going on, I get the instructors to check out my slow speed skills. So far so good. If I have to downsize to keep riding, I’ll transition to a super scooter like the BMW 650 GT. Tried the CanAm Spyder. Very stable but I don’t like the geometry of the two front and one rear wheel configuration. I’ve seen two of them in the Puerta Plata area.

Last edited: