The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Timotero

you would be wrong. Got to Merengue around 1100p.m crowded all the way to mens room in back, the smaller bars had ample people as well. Restaurant (Margot) was busy as well. dem is da facts

If you reread my post, I was commenting on my direct observations from 8:30pm-10pm. Then I closed with “I can’t say what happened after 10pm though”.
You say you arrived at 11pm.
See the disconnect?

But if you still want to say “you was wrong”, so be it.
It’s almost like your trolling for an argument?

B

BermudaRum

H’mmmmm? Your numbers seem inflated? I was there last night too. Having dinner and drinks on the patio at the former Rumbas watching the street. The number of “strollers” seemed significantly reduced during the time I observed (8:30pm-10pm approx.

The numbers are reduced during this time because 75% of the chicas are still in their beds sleeping.....lol

L

lifeisgreat

excited about change that is not going to happen in Sosua for the next twenty years?? If a long term investor is looking to turn Sosua into some type of family or retirement destination, he better have a long long time horizon
Where have you been in the last 20yrs of Sosua changes? Things move even 10x faster then back then..

U

user123

WOW! Seems like every thread now is about Sosua/Prostitution. Cool. :tired:

S

slowmo

If the red light district were moved to the other part of town, the family tourism fans would complain the red light district is discouraging families from going there.

J

jd_mine

I don't think there is a plan under our definition of what a plan would be.
I think there is an idea of what they want with no real plan on how to get there.

What I don't really get is why they want to make life difficult for themselves, first having to drive prostitution out in some way and then try to get family tourism in. It's not like those two streets in Sosua are anything special that needs to be preserved for family tourism.
Why not just forget about the prostitution challenge and just create a new Sosua center/downtown across the beach Punta Cana style? Most family tourists would be there for the beach presumably, so build a walk bridge from the beach to across the highway and create some sterile Sosua center tourist place there. Problem solved and you have new tourist acceptable infrastructure immediately without having to somehow fix the decrepit mess that is Sosua center now.

E

El Rey de Mangu

I don't think there is a plan under our definition of what a plan would be.
I think there is an idea of what they want with no real plan on how to get there.

What I don't really get is why they want to make life difficult for themselves, first having to drive prostitution out in some way and then try to get family tourism in. It's not like those two streets in Sosua are anything special that needs to be preserved for family tourism.
Why not just forget about the prostitution challenge and just create a new Sosua center/downtown across the beach Punta Cana style? Most family tourists would be there for the beach presumably, so build a walk bridge from the beach to across the highway and create some sterile Sosua center tourist place there. Problem solved and you have new tourist acceptable infrastructure immediately without having to somehow fix the decrepit mess that is Sosua center now.

From an accounting standpoint, bleeding out the prostitution and increasing the family demographic would mean dramatically lower liquor sales. Since food is at best A 5% margin, what would Sosua businesses do to absorb that loss?

C

ctrob

From an accounting standpoint, bleeding out the prostitution and increasing the family demographic would mean dramatically lower liquor sales. Since food is at best A 5% margin, what would Sosua businesses do to absorb that loss?

Removing Sosua as a sex destination for North Americans is not an economical decision for Doms.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Removing Sosua as a sex destination for North Americans is not an economical decision for Doms.

I guess so, but then why pick Sosua for this miraculous transformation of morality?

C

chico bill

I think Sosua as a sex destination is slowly dying.
The girls offering their services are poor (and look it).
Their diet must consist of everything cooked in lard .
No longer are better educated and well dressed girls coming from Santiago. It is now barrio queens from Charamicos, Montellano and Maranatha and other impoverished ghettos, many smoking cigarettes and on drugs.
They are rude, even when it is obvious their attention is unwanted.
None can afford bras or girdles.

Yes it is just like the cheap disposable products sold in the ever-growing number of Chinese stores in Sosua now - Offering pure junk at bargain basement prices....and the women in the sex trade are now similar bargain basement wares being offered, and that will be what kills the sex tourists. When it isn't sexy anymore, they won't come.

C

ctrob

I guess so, but then why pick Sosua for this miraculous transformation of morality?

Cabana's will never go away. Out of sight out of mind. Dominican's don't mind the fact that an employer may have an afternoon fling with his assistant.

But Pedro Clisante and Dominican daughters flocking to Sosua is embarrassing to them. Sosua evolved into what it is today thru easy access by NA's, and Dom's are going to evolve it back. It's really that simple.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Cabana's will never go away. Out of sight out of mind. Dominican's don't mind the fact that an employer may have an afternoon fling with his assistant.

But Pedro Clisante and Dominican daughters flocking to Sosua is embarrassing to them. Sosua evolved into what it is today thru easy access by NA's, and Dom's are going to evolve it back. It's really that simple.

I guess time will tell.

C

cruzan1

The future of Sosua will be shaped by the real estate that is once again growing. There are new apartment buildings going up all over the place and new residential projects all along rte 5.

Who has deeper pockets to influence the politicians - the developers of Sosua Ocean Village, Marriott, Hispaniola, Casa Linda etc or the four bar owners downtown?

B

Big

If you reread my post, I was commenting on my direct observations from 8:30pm-10pm. Then I closed with “I can’t say what happened after 10pm though”.
You say you arrived at 11pm.
See the disconnect?

But if you still want to say “you was wrong”, so be it.
It’s almost like your trolling for an argument?

just reporting the facts as they were on said night, the entire night,not misinformation

B

Bundel2014

Bill,if i read you correctly,Sosua will die a natural death? Think you are 100% right.

C

cobraboy

The future of Sosua will be shaped by the real estate that is once again growing. There are new apartment buildings going up all over the place and new residential projects all along rte 5.
Possibly, unless those buying condos are looking for Airbnb-types as investments, and not long-term renters or owner-occupied.

Look at what happened to Juan Dolio. Now that area is no Sosua, but it's a virtual ghost town even with a lot of real estate investment.

I understand one problem with Casa Linda is short-term rentals to hardcore partiers.

Z

zoomzx11

What about the families living there? Don't they count?
Derfish

Everyone counts.
How difficult is it for "families" to avoid Pedro Clisante and the bar strip?
In fact I have heard lots of complaints but never did see any families on PC.
The girls do not even come out until the afternoon so the families have half a day to wander from bar to bar.

N

NALs

Family tourism probably spend more than the other types of tourism and the area has potential as a family destination. If luxury hotels are going up nearby, the place needs to be spruced up.

I bet people that go after prostitutes probably don’t like this. Given the origins of Sosúa and a very nice beach, tourism in the evening has the potential to become family friendly and one more place along the coast to check some sites. Sosúa does have some places to check out, unique in the DR even if many people don’t talk about them in this thread.

C

cavok

Sosúa does have some places to check out, unique in the DR even if many people don’t talk about them in this thread.

Especially once the Ruta Touristic renovation is complete. It will also provide quick, convenience access to Santigo. I think even more of the wealthier Santiagueros will be coming to Sosua.

Status
Not open for further replies.