The drought is here to stay - The UN has spoken

E

Ecoman1949

At a bare minimum, we can expect a one metre increase in the tidal range regardless of what we do to counter the effects of the natural climate change now occurring and accelerated by man made activities. Latest UN climate change report. Think about the effect of that one thing on the low lying DR coastal zones where most of the resorts are located. The impact on low lying islands such as the Bahamas, the Turks and Caicos, etc. I already see those effects on the coastal zones in Atlantic Canada. The future costs involved to mitigate this impact is mind boggling when you consider how many people live on the coastline in Eastern North America and that doesn’t include lost revenue from impacted resorts. The new massive breakwater in Sosua is merely an omen of things to come. Basically they are putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.

C

chico bill

At a bare minimum, we can expect a one metre increase in the tidal range regardless of what we do to counter the effects of the natural climate change now occurring and accelerated by man made activities. Latest UN climate change report. Think about the effect of that one thing on the low lying DR coastal zones where most of the resorts are located. The impact on low lying islands such as the Bahamas, the Turks and Caicos, etc. I already see those effects on the coastal zones in Atlantic Canada. The future costs involved to mitigate this impact is mind boggling when you consider how many people live on the coastline in Eastern North America and that doesn’t include lost revenue from impacted resorts. The new massive breakwater in Sosua is merely an omen of things to come. Basically they are putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.

One meter as of when 8045 ?
If sea level has only risen .13 cm in 100 years where will you get 1 M.
Winds, sun & moon drive waves, tides are controlled by moon & sun gravitational pull - I don't think us earthlings can cut back on red meat to change those forces.

C

chico bill

Have you ever been in a desert?

I have been in many deserts , including the Rub' al Khali in Saudi Arabia, which extends to the eastern Province and parts of the Arabian Gulf (some call in the Persian Sea).

I have never seen rain as hard and flooding so quick as that. The camps were flooded and we were all mobilized to divert water, a hopeless task. I managed to create a major mess as I was an adviser to the Koreans and my task was to use the Koreans with loaders and road graders to divert the water.
On our second pass the loader stuck the loader bucket's tines straight through the side of a 30" water main. Oops forget the rain, it took 1-1/2 hours to get the main shut down !

C

Caonabo

I have been in many deserts , including the Rub' al Khali in Saudi Arabia, which extends to the eastern Province and parts of the Arabian Gulf (some call in the Persian Sea).

I have never seen rain as hard and flooding so quick as that. The camps were flooded and we were all mobilized to divert water, a hopeless task. I managed to create a major mess as I was an adviser to the Koreans and my task was to use the Koreans with loaders and road graders to divert the water.
On our second pass the loader stuck the loader bucket's tines straight through the side of a 30" water main. Oops forget the rain, it took 1-1/2 hours to get the main shut down !

I, as well. Have you ever witnessed such conditions within the RD? I have not.

C

Caonabo

As posted within DR1 Daily News - Tuesday, 01 October 2019…..

Eleven provinces under alert for rains

The National Meteorological Office (Onamet) forecasts heavy rains will continue for a few more days. Eleven provinces are still under alert for floods. A weather front across Haiti is bringing the rainstorms. The rains are expected to affect the east, northeast, southeast, southwest, nor, central mountain area and the border. The rains are most likely in the afternoon and early evening.

The provinces under alert are Hermanas Mirabal, San Cristóbal, Santiago, Dajabón, Espaillat, La Vega, Valverde, Monseñor Nouel, Santiago Rodríguez, San Juan de la Maguana and the Greater Santo Domingo area.

https://listindiario.com/la-republic...an-bajo-alerta

C

chico bill

I, as well. Have you ever witnessed such conditions within the RD? I have not.

In Punta Cana about 2005 I saw it rain so hard for three hours and you could not see 50 feet it was so heavy. My first floor hotel room had two feet of water in it so yes I say I have seen similar

F

Fulano2

Ask people in los Prados. I was visiting a friend there in 1992. It started to rain and after several hours I just had to stay in his house. Water was at least 50 cm. high. And I had a simple Subaru, no SUV. I dont know how the current situation is when it rains cats and dogs.

R

RDKNIGHT

Well ut in the east end its has been raining for the past two weeks definitely not a drought..... another plus for living out east Punta Cana away the way

S

Son of a sailor

Well ut in the east end its has been raining for the past two weeks definitely not a drought..... another plus for living out east Punta Cana away the way

That's what we need up north, bout two weeks of steady rain, followed by a normal rain frequency.
That would break the drought, fill up the cistern and the aquifers & the neighbors could keep their livestock watered and fed. I know buying all this water just to keep things going is costing them too much.

C

CristoRey

The UN is my trusted source for predicting the future..
Always has been, always will be. I we don't do something
about climate change now, the world will end in 12 years :cheeky:

F

flyinroom

Hurricanes are primarily low-level storms.

The mountains cause friction, and hurricanes are slowed and change direction because of this land friction, like a spinning top deflected by any object.

The mountains that save the D.R. from many hurricanes are not located in the D.R..
They are in Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico is the buffer and it stands on guard every hurricane season for the Dominican Republic.
As the storm comes into contact with the island (P.R.), the land mass causes it to stall out and then shifts it off to the north.

Btw,
For those that must constantly be reminded...
Temperature and climate are not one and the same thing.
Temperature is what we experience today, tomorrow and the day after. i.e short term.
Climate is a compilation of all the weathers experienced over the course of years and years. i.e. long term
The two terms are not interchangeable.
Just saying.

Last edited:
B

bob saunders

The mountains that save the D.R. from many hurricanes are not located in the D.R..
They are in Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico is the buffer and it stands on guard every hurricane season for the Dominican Republic.
As the storm comes into contact with the island (P.R.), the land mass causes it to stall out and then shifts it off to the north.

Btw,
Temperature is what we experience today, tomorrow and the day after. i.e short term.
Climate is a compilation of all the weathers experienced over the course of years and years. i.e. long term
Just saying.

And the climate, just like the weather changes at the whim of forces not controlled by humankind. It is actually more the ocean currents through the mona passage that change the air systems and deflect the hurricane paths. Puerto Ricans mountains are steep but not large enough to make much of a difference to large hurricanes, as Maria showed.

C

cobraboy

They are in Puerto Rico.

Btw,
Just saying.
History disagrees with you.

The PR mountains are not that tall, 4400' max. I don't deny an effect but the three mountain ranges in the DR, the highest range in Central America at over 10,000', are the dominant land factor steering hurricanes away from the DR.

S

Son of a sailor

Nothing stops the brainwashed harpies

i don't think mother nature gives a flying f*ck what some dildo on a right wing fake news website thinks.
i myself don't care, why should she? i use an irrefutable source, my own eyes.