Dominican Flag Controversy

J

JDJones

There is a law that requires all Dominican flags need to have the national coat of arms in the center.

Without the support of the Catholic church, there would be no Dominican Republic. Its also hard to not notice the effect of religion in everything that lead to the creation of the country, which impacted everything afterwards including many people finding their spouse, moving to DR, possibility of retiring without going broke, etc in our day. Santo Domingo probably is the largest city in the Americas with the most religious symbols glaring above, including the Plaza de la Bandera which has the largest Christian cross on the ground (main reason why a part of it requires an underpass). Almost all these places were built by the Dominican government and had the religious symbols intentionally added. Even the National Theater looks like a Christian cross from satelite images.

And let's not forget the Faro de Colon. Bigger than the one at Plaza de Bandera.

U

USA DOC

I must be going blind, but i don't see any change to the coat of arms, or the flag as a whole.
can someone point me in the right direction?

….The bible and the word God.....but then Danilo did sign on with China, you know communist, were religion is prohibited...

E

Estrelleta44

Dominican here ..... Those that want the flag changed better tread lightly! Many in the military are not happy about this , including me.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Clear separation of Church and State is a fundamental requirement for democracy.

I

irishpaddy

Dominicans are proud of their flag just as most people are no matter which country you come from. Hardly anyone would like their flag altered, especially by a politician. The only way a flag should justifiably be changed is if the public wished it to happen and even then there should be a damn good reason to need to change what proudly represents their country. I am not a religious person at all but I respect the fact that the Dominican flag has the bible, would never criticize that and would not have a right to anyway as I am not Dominican. The only people that should have a say are Dominicans and other peoples opinions should not matter, it is their flag. I am very happy to see that Dominicans are coming together to protect something that is rightfully theirs.
I agree 100% with you

L

Lucifer

As a French-wannabe Dominican stud, I ask, What bible? I had forgotten that thing was there.

Now, here's the deal: Escudo o no escudo, that won't change how much I'm charged for a beer.

M

mofongoloco

Clear separation of Church and State is a fundamental requirement for democracy.

No It's not. It happens to be the way USA and The Dominion of Canada have worked things out. Certainly not the only way.

btw, congrats on Justin's re-election. Swoon, Swoon.

N

NALs

The Constitutional Tribunal of the Dominican Republic
5297-EB3-F-0-E82-4-FB5-84-F8-DA66-BCB4-D6-C6.jpg

Let me zoom in on the President of the Tribunal, in case anyone misses the obvious statue in front of him and happens to be at the center of the long desk.

FA9-EB185-A904-49-F2-BAA0-C8-DCBD1-F5243.jpg

Keep in mind that this is one of the highest courts of the Dominican state, in fact its part of the Supreme Court of the Dominican Republic.

N

NALs

Painting overlooking the desk of the President in his office at the National Palace (to the right behind the sitting area for guests).

3-BF0-B749-E3-B6-4632-85-CE-70539-E6-A6097.jpg

N

NALs

Congress of the Dominican Republic. The center piece of the giant painting appears to be God holding a shoulder of Moses who has the Ten Commandment tablet on his hand.

DBA58-DD1-A50-D-43-E8-8892-5493-BEDF15-C6.jpg

Alright, let me stop now.